• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
am i understanding this correctly that people who completed achievements under 5.0 have had them all scrubbed with the new patch?

As far as I know, I still have all my 5.0 achievements.

What will likely not work is savegames in progress to gain achievements starting FROM a 5.0 savegame.

Sorry, but DW 5.1 works properly and is stable, as did the last betas. Only minor bugs are reported, according to the threads of the dedicated Bug Reports forum.
You can play without problem SP games, without Achievements enabled.

So they have fixed the clicking problems? So that it's possible to click on a fleet that is standing still while another fleet is moving in the same sea zone? And some provinces are very hard to click on even though you have zoomed in so they are very big on the screen? And in some places/circumstances it's almost impossible to click on a single army if you have several in the same province?

So they have fixed the clicking problems? So that it's possible to click on a fleet that is standing still while another fleet is moving in the same sea zone? And some provinces are very hard to click on even though you have zoomed in so they are very big on the screen? And in some places/circumstances it's almost impossible to click on a single army if you have several in the same province?

They remain as far as I can tell...

Paradox Connect should have been working the very first night. It leaves us wishing that 5.1 had not been released in the first place. It IS basically a BETA PATCH.

That's what really gets me. Were it still a beta patch the only problem would be "still waiting". It's actually worse now because while before you could simply enjoy the beta patch you've now got this carrot of full functionality dangling in front of you. Will it be today things actually start to work? Tomorrow? The patch isn't even on Steam yet is it? No other game I've encountered on Steam has these problems. I'm talking even one man indie devs that have zero weight to throw around.

It really has been hoop after hoop...

Savok - take it up with Steam. Paradox can send them the patch, but if Steam don't modify it to suit the modfied version of EU III that they put out, and don't release it promptly, you're out of luck.

They remain as far as I can tell...
Yes, the issues remain. Every item Panopticon mentions is still present, though there are some inconsistencies as to when they occur.

I suspect it's related to the, also still present and vastly more irritating, inability to click on armies when zoomed out to counter level. You also don't get the mouseover information for armies at counter level (or for navies in ports at sprite level). Well, actually, you can get both for a brief instant, just after zooming in or out, but move around the map a little, or do something else and you lose the ability, again.

If I wasn't clear on this point, I apologize: since this patch, even 5.0 players are not able to Connect, which means achievers are restricted from playing until Paradox gets around to fixing the problems on their end.

I think it's pretty fair to go on vacation when you've FINISHED the patch, isn't that better than going before patch release and let us wait several weeks longer? Also, bear in mind that here in Sweden we have five weeks of paid vacation according to law.

Yes, going on vacation afterward is good. Going on vacation the day after the patch is not good. It's a common Paradox theme however :(

And 5+ weeks of vacation is pretty common, not just some magical thing that only the Swedes have :)

The patch isn't even on Steam yet is it? No other game I've encountered on Steam has these problems. I'm talking even one man indie devs that have zero weight to throw around.

Just FYI, Paradox and Steam don't get along. Never have, probably never will. Each one blames the other for the problems, but all that matters to us as consumers is that while Steam makes a great marketplace for just about every game they sell, Paradox games should be avoided on Steam. I've actually started re-buying my Paradox games off of Steam, because after a few years of putting up with it I've given up. While I'd love to have Steam and Paradox get along like every other developer does, they won't/can't.

tl;dr: Don't buy Paradox games on Steam.

Just FYI, Paradox and Steam don't get along. Never have, probably never will. Each one blames the other for the problems, but all that matters to us as consumers is that while Steam makes a great marketplace for just about every game they sell, Paradox games should be avoided on Steam. I've actually started re-buying my Paradox games off of Steam, because after a few years of putting up with it I've given up. While I'd love to have Steam and Paradox get along like every other developer does, they won't/can't.

tl;dr: Don't buy Paradox games on Steam.

But... Chronicles for 7.50! How is that not a deal!!!

(I broke down and did the registry fix to trick it into thinking I'd installed the game into a separate folder)

Last edited:
No discussion of piracy, there is a zero-tolerance for this on these forums.

Can Japan be closed yet (japan_is_closed)? Does this tag do anything? I still don't see anything that applies this condition, is it just a leftover from a defunct feature?

Someone had mentioned in another post (sorry for not remembering your name poster) that a possible fix to connect may be delayed till the steam update takes place since steam uses a different checksum. This makes sense to me as why would they fix the problem, just to have to fix it again whenever steam gets around to patching. Whose fault for steam not having patched yet....heh who knows but I can say after the witcher 2 1.3 patch came out, I pretty much lost any faith is steam's ability to handle anything correctly. =)

Can Japan be closed yet (japan_is_closed)? Does this tag do anything? I still don't see anything that applies this condition, is it just a leftover from a defunct feature?

I used to think it was something that was auto-set at the start of the game, but it isn't in the exe. My guess would be a half-complete feature that someone got distracted in the middle of setting up. If you create a series of decisions/events that set/unset the flag and then post it in the bug forum, Andrew should be able to get it added to a hypothetical 5.2 patch.

I just bought Chronicles. Is the 5.1 patch all it needs for the whole works?

Addit: I got my answer after the second install--yes, 5.1 is for the whole works.

Last edited:
Someone had mentioned in another post (sorry for not remembering your name poster) that a possible fix to connect may be delayed till the steam update takes place since steam uses a different checksum. This makes sense to me as why would they fix the problem, just to have to fix it again whenever steam gets around to patching. Whose fault for steam not having patched yet....heh who knows but I can say after the witcher 2 1.3 patch came out, I pretty much lost any faith is steam's ability to handle anything correctly. =)

How on earth is it that they need to 'fix' anything?

The Connect server gets a connection request, the request contains a checksum, the checksum is compared against a list of valid checksums. In which case there is no valid reason to wait on Steam.

If this is not how the whole system works, if adding a checksum is not just a matter of adding one line to a database table, then the system is needlessly complex and is, right now, costing Paradox quite some goodwill and mindshare. In which case they should rebuild it and do it right this time.

I agree, it makes no sense that the system is still offline. And the lack of information automatically leads to speculations. Some that I could come up with:

1. They simply wait till Steam is patched, so that they don't have to set it up twice. Laziness ftw!
2. They received the message from Johan to update the system but forgot to restart it. As Johan is in his holidays now, nobody else registers and tells them that Connect is still offline.
3. They took the system down, but hadn't been told what the new checksum is. And now they simply wait till they receive a reply.

I guess I could fill some pages with such tales. :D

I'm a big fan of Paradox and their usual way of customer support. But here, they screwed up. Nothing major, but still enough that it might annoy some people and diminish loyalty and customer retention.

Even though a lot of the staff might be on vacation now, someone with a certain responsibility still has to be around the office. And while this someone is probably not capable of fixing the PC issue, he should be able to give a short statement explaining why things are taking so long and when we can expect a solution. This non-transparency is unnecessary and could turn out far more costly than the problem, whatever its nature, that brought about the necessity for clarification in the first place.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Paradox and their usual way of customer support. But here, they screwed up. Nothing major, but still enough that it might annoy some people and diminish loyalty and customer retention.

Even though a lot of the staff might be on vacation now, someone with a certain responsibility still has to be around the office. And while this someone is probably not capable of fixing the PC issue, he should be able to give a short statement explaining why things are taking so long and when we can expect a solution. This non-transparency is unnecessary and could turn out far more costly than the problem, whatever its nature, that brought about the necessity for clarification in the first place.

This