• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick question.
I have been playing a 5.0 game the last few weeks trying to do the "Poland can into space" achievement. Is it possible to finish that one in some way before patching (I read patching is sure to break it)? Or will I have to do it all over again from the beginning?

Quick question.
I have been playing a 5.0 game the last few weeks trying to do the "Poland can into space" achievement. Is it possible to finish that one in some way before patching (I read patching is sure to break it)? Or will I have to do it all over again from the beginning?

Well, there's a chance that 5.0 will be disabled for achievements when they enable 5.1 (I can't say this for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised, there are good reasons to disable it) - in which case you'd not get the achievement from that.
If they leave it as an option, then you can finish it by continuing 5.0.
Updating to 5.1 is bound to make it impossible though - since as far as I know the "game was modified" is a simple comparison of checksums, and 5.1 has a different checksum from 5.0

I have the Steam version and managed to install 5.1 using the launcher. Is this gonna cause any problem once Steam gets their own version of 5.1?

Well, there's a chance that 5.0 will be disabled for achievements when they enable 5.1 (I can't say this for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised, there are good reasons to disable it) - in which case you'd not get the achievement from that.
If they leave it as an option, then you can finish it by continuing 5.0.
Updating to 5.1 is bound to make it impossible though - since as far as I know the "game was modified" is a simple comparison of checksums, and 5.1 has a different checksum from 5.0

This is the first official patch in this game. Considering that some of the fixes were to try to correct exploits, I'm sure 5.0 is going to be disabled.

AndrewT will probably do that. I cannot start the game now (not at my game computer), so I cannot personally verify the checksum.

Well, wouldn't it make sense that all our old saves are disqualified for achievements because they were started under the official patches checksum?

I'm sure 5.0 is going to be disabled.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it will be at some point - I'm just not sure they'll disable it immediately. It'd be rather bad form, both for purposes of gaining achievements with ongoing games, and for letting people use the metaserver (afaik, the same system) to force them to *immediately* update as soon as a patch is out.

But, as I said, there are good reasons to disable it (fixing exploits being one of them)

WOOT! Just downloaded now.

I love the new mapmodes. ^^

Going to try out a new game this weekend. :)

Good work Paradox.

I updated my steam copy using the launcher. I get the check-sum MHFD and can't get achievements, and yes I've done the map-cache thing.
Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Great job people!

I absolutely love the new 'remove_core_from = TAG'-command for the province scope.

Does anyone know if we already have an "add-to" equivalent?

How about the naval maintenance? How many times has it increased? I haven't installed any 5.1 beta because of this and I won't install 5.1 if it's still there.

How about the naval maintenance? How many times has it increased? I haven't installed any 5.1 beta because of this and I won't install 5.1 if it's still there.

Really? Why do you think this?

And yes, it is still there.

It is possible to use Inno Setup Unpacker to extract the files from the setup and then manually copy the files over the installation. That's what I did to update Impulse version, it should work with Steam, version, too, long as EU3 is copied outside of Steam's directory like beta patches.

Inno Setup Unpacker

Don't try this if you are not familiar with the command line.

1. Install EU3 + Divine Wind if needed. Copy the fresh installation somewhere else, I'll use D:\EU351 as example. This keeps your original installation untouched so you can easily install the 5.1 patch to it once your distributor releases it.
2. Download the 5.1 installer and save it somewhere you remember, I'll use D:\eu3patch here.
3. Download the latest version of Inno Setup Unpacker and extract it somewhere you remember, I'll use D:\innoup here.
4. Start Command Prompt. Type D:\innoup\innounp.exe -x -dD:\eu3patch D:\eu3patch\eu3_v5.1.exe. That should give long list of file names and the fles should be extracted to D:\eu3patch\{app}.
5. Copy files from D:\eu3patch\{app} to your copy of EU3 Divine Wind installation.
6. Done, clear the map cache as usual and enjoy.

edit: Oops, forgot to add link to the Inno Setup Unpacker.

Thanks, this worked great for me and allowed me to install the patch on my Steam copy. One thing: I modified it to run with "D:\innoup\innounp.exe"; you had previously left off the .exe, but I fixed it.

Also, it gave me the correct checksum.

Naval maintenance in 5.1 is low enough to not care about.