• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Callendor

Colonel
43 Badges
Dec 13, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Well, I play now as North Vietnam (Excellent starting nation, BTW). I'm fighting my wars against NATO (in which Soviet and Chinease tanks take major role). So, I want to increase my army size (train more troops, etc), but I discovered I pretty much can't, because I don't have train spaces or such things. So, I thought I should build barracks (That's what I should do, right?). Started building it, but oops- I don't have enough Industrial goods (event message says so, at least. Interrupt to facility building or something like that), So I decide to build industrial complex. Oops again. Not enough Ind. goods even for that. A bit strange, but not very much becuase Vietnam was a very backward and uninstrialised place at that time. So, I went to the most obvious place to look for Ind. goods- the world market. But oops again- Some nations have tons of tons of Ind. goods (like the USSR, which I have excellent relations with), but NOBODY wants to sell me Ind. goods for ANY PRICE.

What have I done wrong? Or is it a bug?

You need to build land fabrications. The first one you build in a new complex has to have a barracks attached to it (you can have one land fab + barracks, or 4 land fabs + barrack on a single hex for example, but never just a land fabrication). You use the barracks to put units in and out of reserve.

As for the industrial shortage - it's the reality of the early fifties. The world economy is broken after WWII and you need to use your cunning to get your hand on what you need. Try fixing your standings with the countries that actually have industry goods.

I got maximum relations with USSR, yet they refuse to sell me a single piece of Ind. goods, even at a VERY good price.

I get some resources by offering the max $ possible for them on a continuing basis from the "Resources Minister" tab. Not many, but a few, precious few. Turning off "Consumer Goods" results in a small gain of Industrial Goods, that can be used to build more industrial goods facilities.

The question is: Is it historical? If not (And I think it's not), it's a bug. A one that should be fixed, because it REALLY hurts small countries.

Anyway, I think that if you're in one of the superpowers' sphere, and have max relationship with them, you SHOULD be able to get the little amount of resources you need.

I agree that you should be able to request some resources from your benefactor to survive. Is the USSR officially in the war? If not, could they be trying to avoiding angering NATO off any further by refusing to give you raw materials, even though it sounds like they happen to have no problem sending you arms?

Perhaps I am giving the AI too much credit, assuming it can make such decisions.

I agree that you should be able to request some resources from your benefactor to survive. Is the USSR officially in the war? If not, could they be trying to avoiding angering NATO off any further by refusing to give you raw materials, even though it sounds like they happen to have no problem sending you arms?

Perhaps I am giving the AI too much credit, assuming it can make such decisions.

FAR too much credit, as far as I know....

70% of my soldiers were killed (and I can't train more because of the **** industrial goods shortage), so the Soviet Tanks (controlled by the USSR, not me... too bad) make the majority of the forces in Vietnam (most of them, by the way, just sit in the place doing nothing, but they sent a lot of tanks, so the few that actually attack are enough to manitain the north-south border). So I don't think some Industrial goods would be what will make NATO angry. It was not too bad if it was just the USSR, but NOBODY has ind. goods that they are willing to sell (for ANY PRICE)...

This isnt rocket science...
Youve got a shortage,solve it.

You can scrap units you dont plan on using,scrap fab and facs,you dont plan on using.Bulk purchase.Etc....

Dont rush into using what industrial goods youve got and get, make damn sure your NOT selling them off.

Get enough to fund a new industrial goods fab, and build it.Repeat til your no longer short on their production.

The shortage is part of the game.You need to solve it for your individual region.Even the US starts out looking for more.

This isnt rocket science...
Youve got a shortage,solve it.

You can scrap units you dont plan on using,scrap fab and facs,you dont plan on using.Bulk purchase.Etc....

Dont rush into using what industrial goods youve got and get, make damn sure your NOT selling them off.

Get enough to fund a new industrial goods fab, and build it.Repeat til your no longer short on their production.

The shortage is part of the game.You need to solve it for your individual region.Even the US starts out looking for more.

So the world-wide shortage is actually historical? If so, OK.

So the world-wide shortage is actually historical? If so, OK.

It's an approximation, as the whole concept of "industry goods" used in the game - in real life, the whole thing was much more complex, but all in all, most of the economies after WWIi were devastated and it wasn't until mid fifties that things started picking up.

The whole world starts off with no industrial goods. Even great relations won't help if everyone is using up 100% their production capacity. As mentioned before, you need to be very gentle with the economy at first. De-mobilize, scrap old stuff, close factories you're not using. It's not easy, but it's a large part of the game.

It's an approximation, as the whole concept of "industry goods" used in the game - in real life, the whole thing was much more complex, but all in all, most of the economies after WWIi were devastated and it wasn't until mid fifties that things started picking up.

The whole world starts off with no industrial goods. Even great relations won't help if everyone is using up 100% their production capacity. As mentioned before, you need to be very gentle with the economy at first. De-mobilize, scrap old stuff, close factories you're not using. It's not easy, but it's a large part of the game.

Well, It's a bit porblamatic when playing North Vietnam...

Something that may help new users;

Scenario Settings - Resources - Abundant

This will boost the opening stock of all commodities in all regions. Should help players get the initial push they need to get some buildings built and get a feel for the progressing without shortages.

Anyone tried this yet? I'm too busy reading threads... :)

Where is this "scenario settings" thing?

Manuipulate your consumer goods production to result in greater industrial goods availablity internally, then use that surplus to build more ind goods facilities.

Nononono... Where do I change it?

Ok, go to your goods tab, where you can select like Petrolium, agriculture, etc.
Then go to Consumer Goods. Lock it (stops minsiter from changing your actions), and then one of the tabs on right opens the production menu, set to to like 1% or 0%.

Go to industrial goods, and make sure you aren't selling any of them (again, one of the tabs on right once you select ind goods), and be sure to lock out minister.

For backwards countries, building a few micro ind goods facilities might be a good start. The mid level one requires a TON of goods, and it will take a long time to come online. Building several smaller ones first will allow you to get immediate benefits.

Hey-

I have found that MOST countries REFUSE to give up their Industrial goods even when they have thousands. Canada, Venezuala, Belgium, West Germany and a small amount from Israel are the exception to this. Canada usually will let you take their total supply when they have like 18-28k. Ven will let you take theirs at maybe 7k-12k. Belgium is about the same. West Germany has a crazy strong Industrial Economy from WWII, and thus they make thousands every month. I take 18-22k from them every chance I have the cash for it. There are probably other countries that will sell them to you, but it seems like unless they have enough to build what they are building, they won't even sell you ONE. The countries I listed are fairly strong countries Economically speaking, but Canada for instance doesn't do a ton of fighting, or building up crazy amounts of nuclear fleets and air power.

This is just what I found while playing the main campaign as the USA, and playing 3 separate games as different European countries and once as Brazil. Best bet is to just try a trade with every nation and see if they will sell you any, and see how much they make in a day. Good Luck

Hassie

im playing as italy now and i have over 50 full sized industrial plants and around the same med industrial plants and i am suffering no resource shortage except industry goods and consumer goods and military goods. i have a surplus of just about every other resource except oil which i import. all of those industrial goods factories only produce a total of 10000 industrial goods where my consumer demand is over 40000 and i dont have any industry goods left to build anything. is this a bug or am i not doing it right? if there is some sort of trick to location or what ever please tell me.