+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why does this AI disband and rebuild its armies?

Why does this AI disband and rebuild its armies?

I just watched Brandenburg disband 11 regiments and rebuild them following a peace settlement. It made me chuckle, but then I though, "No wonder the AI has ridiculous inflation."

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

It's a reported bug, but sadly not fixed as yet.
    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death .... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. Bertrand Russell

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    The root of the problem is that changes to the AI make it more likely to disband unneeded armies. However, when it suddenly realizes it needs an army, it rebuilds it. This leads to a vicious cycle for medium-sized nations for some reason.

(Answering your original question of why it happens)

Winner of Best Gameplay AAR (EU 1-3) Q3 2011
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 6/26/11; 9/2/2013

"i don't like ppl coyping me" - iwanow

Elven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II Collection

It's quite amusing to see a large vassal's army suddenly disappear and then the blacksmith animation pop up all over their country. And then again. And again.

I didn't realize it was a bug, but I'm sort of relieved to hear that. You never know with paradox.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

it was probably introduced to stop the ai from bankrupting itself when it had to large armies (and navies), so i would think it was a good idea to start with, they just need to fine tune it

Quote Originally Posted by Falahk View Post
    it was probably introduced to stop the ai from bankrupting itself when it had to large armies (and navies), so i would think it was a good idea to start with, they just need to fine tune it
    It costs more to build armies from scratch than it does to turn the maintenance slider to 50%. The devs are so obsessed with making the AI put up a military challenge they forgot to give them the ability to take care of their country. The AI still builds loads of mercenaries, and at their cost means the AI will never have inflation under control. Mercenaries should be made cheaper to help the AI, and they definitely shouldn't be disbanding their armies following peace settlements. It costs too much to rebuild them.

I think it has done this in every version of EU3

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by zorkman View Post
    I think it has done this in every version of EU3
    No it hasnt, it started in one of the DW patches (or vanilla not 100% sure) but im 100% certain it wasnt an issue pre DW (at least ive never seen it).

Best way to reproduce it: Attack any country, make them your vassal, and watch them build and destroy armies again and again and again. I posted screen shots of this months ago but i was told screenies needed to be from vanilla version, which i sadly dont play.
    Go Russia, kick some fascist butts!

Clinically diagnosed russophile, scourge of self righteous Westerners.

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Moltke View Post
    It costs more to build armies from scratch than it does to turn the maintenance slider to 50%. The devs are so obsessed with making the AI put up a military challenge they forgot to give them the ability to take care of their country. The AI still builds loads of mercenaries, and at their cost means the AI will never have inflation under control. Mercenaries should be made cheaper to help the AI, and they definitely shouldn't be disbanding their armies following peace settlements. It costs too much to rebuild them.
    i think it would be better to make the ai dislike mercs, otherwise we would be right back at my own NA exploit (the merc mega stack)

Quote Originally Posted by Falahk View Post
    i think it would be better to make the ai dislike mercs, otherwise we would be right back at my own NA exploit (the merc mega stack)
    Mercs are the only thing that can quickly bring the AI back on track after a major defeat, especially if the AI is fighting multiple enemies.

Because they feel like it...

I had one ally who was doing that at some point. When I reloaded the game as them, I saw that they had loans. Maybe the culprit is that the AI disband units to save enough to repay the loan, but doesn't consider them when recruiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Ephafn View Post
    I had one ally who was doing that at some point. When I reloaded the game as them, I saw that they had loans. Maybe the culprit is that the AI disband units to save enough to repay the loan, but doesn't consider them when recruiting?
    The AI doesn't know how to manage its finances. All it knows is it wants to kill you, and to do that it needs lots of army guys.

Are there any plans to fix this in 5.1?

Quote Originally Posted by DanubianCossak View Post
    No it hasnt, it started in one of the DW patches (or vanilla not 100% sure) but im 100% certain it wasnt an issue pre DW (at least ive never seen it).

Best way to reproduce it: Attack any country, make them your vassal, and watch them build and destroy armies again and again and again. I posted screen shots of this months ago but i was told screenies needed to be from vanilla version, which i sadly dont play.
    I just experienced exactly this. My medium-sized Vassal (i gave him some provinces to take care off) constantly builds, disbands, rebuilds armies. I tag-switched to them to see whats going on, and they have loans running. Sometimes they have many mercs, sometimes none.

As long as the country is not in war it is locked i this cycle. It even effects the fleet. Bad, bad. And i cant stop them from basically crippling themselfs. Just throwing all their MP and ducats away. And then when war comes they have low to no manpower and hardly and gold...

Are there any hotfixes out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    Are there any hotfixes out there?
    Making them much smaller (OPM) or much larger (over 3 provinces) will do. (and it is better not to drag them into wars too often)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by colinljx View Post
    Making them much smaller (OPM) or much larger (over 3 provinces) will do. (and it is better not to drag them into wars too often)
    I force vassalized Pommerania in an early war, which was 3 provinces big at the time. I sold them Danzig later on but they still seem to build and disband their armies over and over. I hope they will stop doing it once Danzig cores for them, because it's pretty annoying to look at all the time. Fortunatly I'm in a non-aggressive alliance of PU's and vassals so I won't be in need of them having an army, but it would still be nice that they atleast kept something ready for when I might need them
    "If I were to reward all my men for their bravery, I would have a fleet of admirals" - Frederik VI of Denmark

Ruler of the Queen's Navee George LeS's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

More evidence we need 5.2.
    'Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.' -- the Water Rat

GRIN Mod--Historical leaders mods: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...46994-GRIN-Mod

Rex Maris--SRI-based naval and exploration mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...4#post11451354

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    SengokuVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by George LeS View Post
    More evidence we need 5.2.
    Yeh, I'd really like to see that changed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast