+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will AHD Fix The Economy?

Will AHD Fix The Economy?

No, I don't mean the fucked up real life economy, I mean the fucked up V2 economy. The black hole that is late nineteenth century economics is lolariously silly and I'm wondering if Paradox will be doing anything to fix that.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Language, this is a family-friendly forum.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

HoI AnthologyFor the Motherland500k club

I imagine there will be tweaks, but I seriously doubt there'll be much else unfortunately. I heard they considered the economy to be mostly working as designed/intended.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

What's AHD?
    And what specifically do you reckon is wrong with the economy (in game obviously )
    I thought things seemed to be running ok. Am I missing something?

AHD is the new expansion announced recently: A House Divided.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Interesting. I look forward to it. Hope it's got good uniforms.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The new world rising from the shambles of the Old
    I was hoping that they would fix the foreclosure crisis, unemployment, and the lack of confidence in the banking industry.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerWilly View Post
    I was hoping that they would fix the foreclosure crisis, unemployment, and the lack of confidence in the banking industry.
    Don't forget the crippling dept!
    You're an irreplaceable human soul, with your own understanding of what it means to suffer.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The new world rising from the shambles of the Old
    Quote Originally Posted by ETTAR View Post
    Don't forget the crippling dept!
    I am for eliminating the Crippling Department! Barbarous, I say.

V2 game topic only, please.

--

So there's no chance of a fix planned for early game when nations have to wait almost a year to build units?

Or the repeated involvement of GP's in wars that they are either not anyway involved with , i.e, no sphere, no alliance and the attacker has a low infamy (Speaking form experience)?

I hope they are as they are putting me off playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Farseer View Post
    No, I don't mean the fucked up real life economy, I mean the fucked up V2 economy. The black hole that is late nineteenth century economics is lolariously silly and I'm wondering if Paradox will be doing anything to fix that.
    What part of the economy needs fixing ?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneImpireVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

I think they've done a very good job or improving and balancing the economy. However, I still think super-France still needs to be addressed. That's more of a minor tweaking, I'm sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire and Ash View Post
    Or the repeated involvement of GP's in wars that they are either not anyway involved with , i.e, no sphere, no alliance and the attacker has a low infamy (Speaking form experience)?
    Are you talking about GP interventions? I think it's been well established that you need to make sure that you don't attack nations that have Friendly influence with other GPs.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerWilly View Post
    Sigh, I too, think that the GPs need to bail out the Craftsmen without cash reserves and that are not meeting their Life Needs and that they also should bail out Greece instead of engaging in Gunboat Diplomacy... alas, 19th century liberalism

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    LegioMagickaMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Millipede69 View Post
    What part of the economy needs fixing ?
    Why would you industrialize, out of curiousity? Besides to get liquor for Guards, of course.
    "We give the facts. You can't say that we have a slant because of it. I hear that the jury's in on evolution."

"When you divide a country into two sides, one of which cheers the idea of murder and hate, you don't have much choice in which side you're on."

Quote Originally Posted by Beamed View Post
    Why would you industrialize, out of curiousity? Besides to get liquor for Guards, of course.
    For score.

Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    500k club

That one is the major problem, there's no "need" to industrialise other than score, if you have exess pops, just colonize but there's no real advantage to industrialization, we need to have more control over what we produce as a nation, so we can control weapon exports and different types of weapons and ammunition, the weapons industry is too "standart" right now we need more diversity, from an economic stand point not even a military one.

I guess I'm an old fashioned gamer... I always used to munch those pellets when playing Pacman just for the score. I do the same in V2.

I could picture a better system for weapons production however. This could act as an effective cap on navy/army sizes. So bigger econ = badass army/navy.

Cities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

A friend of my in this game could only recruit 10 brigades of units while he had an adult male population of over 600k, while Chile is a GP & has more than 60 brigades (with less ground than Chile has today)..

Major
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Why does the economy need to be fixed? Because Victoria 2 is a military game. But the Victorian age was the advent of modern economics and industry was the driving force behind politics and wars in this age. Now it's a pathetic backseat to military conquest and completely disjointed from technological advancement. There's a single world currency, there's a single world market, a shirt in India costs the same as a shirt in Manhattan. I can produce the world's supply of artillery but not restrict my enemies from buying them, thus crippling their ability to combat me. I can setup an automobile industry in America a decade before Britian, but the UK can dominate the market mere years after it's first factory. I cannot have an economic sphere of influence over an area of China. This just off the top of my head. The V2 economy completely hampers the reasons I want to play this game. I worry that Paradox turned what could have been a multi-faceted game into just another war game. I'll wait to see if a house divided is intriguing, but this game will not flourish until the economic model is made much more realistic.

Achtung PanzerHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marnues View Post
    Why does the economy need to be fixed? Because Victoria 2 is a military game. But the Victorian age was the advent of modern economics and industry was the driving force behind politics and wars in this age. Now it's a pathetic backseat to military conquest and completely disjointed from technological advancement. There's a single world currency, there's a single world market, a shirt in India costs the same as a shirt in Manhattan. I can produce the world's supply of artillery but not restrict my enemies from buying them, thus crippling their ability to combat me. I can setup an automobile industry in America a decade before Britian, but the UK can dominate the market mere years after it's first factory. I cannot have an economic sphere of influence over an area of China. This just off the top of my head. The V2 economy completely hampers the reasons I want to play this game. I worry that Paradox turned what could have been a multi-faceted game into just another war game. I'll wait to see if a house divided is intriguing, but this game will not flourish until the economic model is made much more realistic.
    I've also been disappointed in the economy. The bottom line is that in terms of actual gameplay, I spend very little time/effort/thought into economics. The trade system is entirely automated, and I don't see much advantage to tweaking it. The factory system is so highly simplified that all you should ever do is build certain key factories that are the most profitable in every game. The lack of nation specific advantage (I'm thinking HoI3 tech system here would be nice), means that many nations in the world can have the most profitable types of factories. Add to this the late-game fact that just about every inch of the planet will have high level infrastructure and forts by the 1930s, and you get this really odd economic situation that isn't very interesting. On the contrary, it is quite boring, because the in-game economics are highly deterministic.
    "All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu, Ping Fa.

Paradoxian Wiki Network:
    HoI 3 | HoI 2 | EU3 | EU2 | Vicky | Vicky 2

On forum hiatus since 2013

+ Reply to Thread