• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

themendios

Major
47 Badges
Oct 9, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Wasn't going to do this since I didn't get ahold of anyone regarding permission to repost but since I actually packaged it up etc I figured I might as well, and it adds so, so much to the game in the gui department it's insane.

What it is:
A compilation of OTHER people's work all grouped up nicely.

Contains:
Portrait packs from Westeros
Westeros also contains some other graphics in it like traits but I don't know the original authors, sorry!
Gratianus CoA
Gratianus minimap (light)

Here's some screenshots I just made at 1366x768 (click for big), as you can see the portraits alone are so much better but also the CoAs are much crisper (especially for the muslim 2-color shields which aren't in this shot)

Download and extract to main CK directory (overwriting):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cprheyhq7jugxac/CK1GraphicsPack.zip

Last edited:
I really do like this mod, the only problem is that it does not exactly fit with CK's medieval theme. The piety logo, for one, but that can be easily dismissed. What cannot be is that all the Muslim characters look European! Granted, that's a pretty easy fix...

edit: Oh wait it's not D: Well. Either I white-wash all my characters and make the game even more eurocentric or I forgo this mod!

Last edited:
I really do like this mod, the only problem is that it does not exactly fit with CK's medieval theme. The piety logo, for one, but that can be easily dismissed. What cannot be is that all the Muslim characters look European! Granted, that's a pretty easy fix...

edit: Oh wait it's not D: Well. Either I white-wash all my characters and make the game even more eurocentric or I forgo this mod!

Well that is about as dark as they get. You have to understand they're from the Westeros mod where there aren't any Arabs. Personally I think it fits fine, iirc Alp Aslan is in a chain helmet and doesn't look particularly European and most if not all of the muslims have black hair and don't either. The Pagan women are actually kinda hot ;)

If it really bothers you then go over to Gratianus thread and grab the faces for the muslims and overwrite them. Or you can play around in photoshop - I really wouldn't have the first clue about making a face look more 'Arab' though. Honestly I've been playing this way since day 2 and it doesn't bother me at all, and probably far, far less than the jarring difference between half-vanilla and half-nice portraits.

I get unhandled something error
The same when i try to put on just the gratianus CoA
What version is this suppose to work on?

DV 2.1beta (I use my own blend of DVIP+Addon but they don't affect the gfx files at all)

I also use the exe hack for marriage/muslims but that shouldn't matter either.

You didn't delete the gfx folder and replace it did you? Only thing I can think of that would cause a gfx error other than not having DV.

Funny story though I played CK Vanilla for quite a while with the portraits and gfx updates and just chalked up some things like traits not lining up to 'mod problems'. Only reason I realized I didn't have DV is because I spent hours trying to figure out where the ledger was and finally realized :D Its actually why I posted that thread about installation and mod tips.

Not only did you not credit me for the portraits, you didnt even acknowledge or ask (it would have only taken a minute to send a private message). I can't fault your enthusiasm but I find galling your suggestion in the other thread that all I did was "repackage" the portraits. I took ~1,000 screenshots from Sims Medieval character creation, as its not a static toolset most had to be discarded and then adapted into the CK DNA system. It was a labourious process I wouldnt relish goign through again.

Last edited:
Easy now, I have never said 'portraits' without 'Westeros' in the same sentence. I am well aware where it came from and in fact have nothing but praised it and the mod, the only even slightly negative thing I said ever is that I can't play on that map (specifically because things like Robert becoming a noname count after King Tyrion's marshal Jon Snow defeated him would drive me insane) but I even ended that sentence with if that wasn't a problem to just ignore anything else I said and go play it.

I'm sorry I didn't say your name specifically it didn't occur to me, I have nothing but admiration for your portrait work. When I mentioned repackaging I only did so because I realized I wasn't crediting the original author (specifically meant the traits because I thought I saw them somewhere else by themselves) and assumed there were other minor things in there but never meant to imply anything bad.

Anyway I would have PM'd you but I only realized you are actually active after I posted it, I looked at Gratianus and jordarkelf and they seemed inactive (the former for years), but when I did I posted in your thread just to say thanks and awesome work :)

I hope you don't demand this goes away because I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it and it would be a shame if somebody else didn't get to use them, especially with CK2 around the corner CK1 may completely die out so just wanted to share the love before it was too late, didn't mean to step on any toes.

I am prickly but not that petty :)

I am glad you like them, it did cross my mind to also whip up some Middle Eastern ones for use in the standard game. Will have a look at it over the weekend. The Westeros ones I did 1st in large high res, then scaled them down to 256 colour small size for CK1, so I can pretty much port them straight into CK2. CK2 doesnt seem to have CK1's limitation of only 2 sets so there can be sets for nordic, frankish, cletic, greek etc Ill probabaly redo the whole thing... Since I created the Westeros mod others have modded Sims Medieval for more hair and clothing options too, so I will be adding more. The Paradox CK2 portraits seem very good, but I will most likely go ahead with a portrait mod similar to my Westeros one in profile and more "2dish", hopefuly while I am doing that (I even have blue hair and beards!) someone else will perfect an awesome Westeros map for CK2.

That would be cool. I was thinking about doing Sims too (3) for CK2 face mods, have an install somewhere with a billion 'prettier' mods on it because I hated vanilla blobfaces, and I'm not too impressed with the CK2 portrait screenshots.

But I wonder how moddable it will be with the 'aging' etc. Guess we'll see, Sengoku looks like it's basically the same engine so will take a look at that when it comes out.