• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The AI loves its annihilation battles. As a player this is a benefit... lets you surround and occupy them while they're busy with that. IF you are numerically superior anyway, it takes out a lot of the tedium. It's a feature to me.

But thats not how battles worked back them

Niether is the HOI combat system an accurate depiction of battles in the period. Something akin to Rise of Prussia or Birth Of America is probably best.

EDIT: The whole putting all your troops into one province and getting destoryed happened a few times actually, Franco prussian War, 1st Italo Ethopian War, probably some others I dont know about.

Last edited:
That's what make warfare far too easy, boring and repetive...

Would your rather their army endured as you very slowly and tediously pushed it back through the countryside, leaving tons of little stacks to occupy as you went? Uggh. I like it to be done with quickly.

Nothing to do with real life, mind you. But then, thanks to forts(?) and occupation(?) and warscore(?) it never did. Did you historically see armies pause in every province to besiege the garrison in this time period???

Niether is the HOI combat system an accurate depiction of battles in the period.

Yes I know but at least it's better that what we have know... What I should have said is that I whish for a system as huge and complete as the HOI3 one!

Something akin to Rise of Prussia or Birth Of America is probably best

It would in fact be a lot more realistic and enjoyable then the system currently use... but it would also have to be able to deal with the larger and static front of WWI kind of warfare.

All I think they should do is change the AI, and maybe make theatres, able to be controlled by the AI.

The whole putting all your troops into one province and getting destoryed happened a few times actually, Franco prussian War, 1st Italo Ethopian War, probably some others I dont know about.

I don't know about the italo-ethiopian war but in the franco prussian war, neither the french nor the prussian group their troops in one single army and the war didn't resume itself only by the battle of Sedan alone!!

Something I think that needs to be addressed is the fact that the even if you totally anihillate the enemies entire armed forces your warscore can still be very low, even though a real government would give up when it no longer had the ability to resist.

Yes I know but at least it's better that what we have know... What I should have said is that I whish for a system as huge and complete as the HOI3 one!

A better combat system would be nice, but at its heart Vicky 2 isnt a war game, its a nation builder. Most of the unrealistic elements come from combat taking too long and provinces being too small scale.

It would in fact be a lot more realistic and enjoyable then the system currently use... but it would also have to be able to deal with the larger and static front of WWI kind of warfare.

Im not sure its even required to simulate WW1 style warfare, trench warfare only happened becuase the Germans got bogged down, if they hadnt then the fighting would have carried on being fluid. A system that would be great for WW1 would mean that we would remove semi accurate warfare for most of the game to give realistic combat for circumstances that may or may not happen in game.

EDIT: Preston is right I think, military loss needs to factor a lot more heavily into warscore.

A better combat system would be nice, but at its heart Vicky 2 isnt a war game, its a nation builder. Most of the unrealistic elements come from combat taking too long and provinces being too small scale.
I dont think its because provinces are too small, that doesnt really effect too much, except going around the enemy, and it is pretty quick except after 1915, and thats just cause the ai stacks its army in one giant stack

No, provinces are too big, a europe with provinces on EU3 Germany scale would be more suited in my opinion.

So you cant maneuver your army? I find that there is no need since the AI just attacks one of your stacks, there isnt really any tactics involved.

Personally, I think land warfare is fine the way it is. Naval warfare could use some improvements, but they've all been discussed elsewhere. From a simply practical standpoint, I think trying even a modest HOI level of warfare could be too taxing on the AI, cutting game speed.

Personally, I think land warfare is fine the way it is. Naval warfare could use some improvements, but they've all been discussed elsewhere. From a simply practical standpoint, I think trying even a modest HOI level of warfare could be too taxing on the AI, cutting game speed.

agreed. i like land battles right now. people seem to miss that fact that Victoria II is more of a political/economic/diplomatic game. It's not a military strategy game like HoI or RoP. It is in NO WAY supposed to represent what real battles were like back then.

agreed. i like land battles right now. people seem to miss that fact that Victoria II is more of a political/economic/diplomatic game. It's not a military strategy game like HoI or RoP. It is in NO WAY supposed to represent what real battles were like back then.

So just cause something isnt the focus of the game and doesnt even really work with the game we should keep it the way it is? You cant really effect any of the other things the game supposedly focuses on. Politics, you can change the party, and choose reforms. Economy, more clicking, budget, diplomatic, all you do is raise relations, make alliance, they dont accept alliance offer. Then your allies abandon you. There is none of the victorian intrugue, and none of it takes any skill, there is barely any strategy, because there really isnt very much you can effect, except war.

Uh, why doesn't anybody mention Ricky? That combat system is far superior to V-2.

Though the only thing that they really need to change about the combat in V-2 is (IMO) occupation.
The current occupation is some sort of castle siege, really. I mean, 1 year to occupy a province? Gah!

So just cause something isnt the focus of the game and doesnt even really work with the game we should keep it the way it is? You cant really effect any of the other things the game supposedly focuses on. Politics, you can change the party, and choose reforms. Economy, more clicking, budget, diplomatic, all you do is raise relations, make alliance, they dont accept alliance offer. Then your allies abandon you. There is none of the victorian intrugue, and none of it takes any skill, there is barely any strategy, because there really isnt very much you can effect, except war.

And that's the beauty of Victoria II.

Besides naval combat (because thats an entirely other story ), I think PI should definitely rethink the usage of forts. Currently forts have their purpose, but IMO its too extreme for occupation and not useful enough for land combat. They should bring back the old Victoria I system (or HoI2/3) in which forts are a fortification level of the province and give an attack penalty to the attacker. This makes it much much easier to hold a province with a low number of troops and a good fortification. Now I often do not really bother to defend them even, because they (as far as I can see and notice) do not seem to play any considerable role in land combat.

I also hope for a more meaningful supply system in which units that are in combat require more supplies and not just the entire army and navy. Its kind of stupid that you need to pay 100% more supplies for the entire armed forces when at war, even if only a minor proportion of your army is really fighting.

Furthermore as another thread suggested. We should have a more gradual upgrade of soldiers by tech, instead of a modifier that gets applied to all soldiers immediately.

I think PI should definitely rethink the usage of forts. Currently forts have their purpose, but IMO its too extreme for occupation and not useful enough for land combat. They should bring back the old Victoria I system (or HoI2/3) in which forts are a fortification level of the province and give an attack penalty to the attacker.

Yep. Pretty much this.

The occupation penalty for forts is also pointless. It just drags out the war needlessly for the attacker, rather than making frontal attacks against the provinces a pants-filling proposition at higher tech levels. ;)