• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But it would have taken a lot to get the others into combat ready condition.

I'm a little dissapointed though based on the last screen. I figured they would have given the bombs their historical name instead of just a genaric yeilds... Or maybe I missed something. Guess I have to wait till tomorrow.

Debates over the individual orbats should wait till at least August 1st IMO, lets be sure it rolls out properly. Also, orbat discussion will likely be done mostly on the Dev forum since it's searchable. As an overall comment, we did modify some of the "on paper" values. Many of the ships in reserve were so worn out that refitting them for active duty would have been as long and as expensive as building a new ship. On the Soviet side, their on paper values of the equipment they claimed to field included lots of stuff that was in no way battle worthy. The Soviets still start the game with a large numeric advantage but we have tried to make rational quantity reductions.

Debates over the individual orbats should wait till at least August 1st IMO, lets be sure it rolls out properly. Also, orbat discussion will likely be done mostly on the Dev forum since it's searchable. As an overall comment, we did modify some of the "on paper" values. Many of the ships in reserve were so worn out that refitting them for active duty would have been as long and as expensive as building a new ship. On the Soviet side, their on paper values of the equipment they claimed to field included lots of stuff that was in no way battle worthy. The Soviets still start the game with a large numeric advantage but we have tried to make rational quantity reductions.
I find that the Soviets start out with such a big budget deficit that the only sensible thing to do is to scrap a lot of their units or put them in reserve.

I find that the Soviets start out with such a big budget deficit that the only sensible thing to do is to scrap a lot of their units or put them in reserve.

Or reduce costs in other areas, such as deactivating facilities. Or you could just grow the economy.

Please feed my need to play whilst I waste away at work. Please.

/Subscribed

If only it were that simple.

But it would have taken a lot to get the others into combat ready condition.

I'm a little dissapointed though based on the last screen. I figured they would have given the bombs their historical name instead of just a genaric yeilds... Or maybe I missed something. Guess I have to wait till tomorrow.

Im not entirely sure on what if anything can be modded, so I may be corrected, but if the item is merely a text string you may be able to change the name of it!

Or reduce costs in other areas, such as deactivating facilities. Or you could just grow the economy.
Oh, I am trying that too, slowly, becauswe new industrial goods factories are expensive. But the budgetary imbalance at the start seems pretty urgent.

Oh, I am trying that too, slowly, becauswe new industrial goods factories are expensive. But the budgetary imbalance at the start seems pretty urgent.

Though I *was* playing the review copy, I actually found Russia's economy to level out and grow easier than USA. For the first game at least! The US is has other issues to think about when playing it! Theres quite a few options to tweak and play with in order to get the treasury in the region of where you want it to be.

But because it's much smaller in total it has less room to take on debt. So the opportunity to make investments for economic expansion are more limited.

O la la a new 2coats AAR in brand new game. Will be following this for sure :)

O la la a new 2coats AAR in brand new game. Will be following this for sure :)

Hi Dhimmi and welcome good to see you! The more the merrier!

But because it's much smaller in total it has less room to take on debt. So the opportunity to make investments for economic expansion are more limited.

Thats the nail hit on the head. Managing debt is the key to running the economy.

SUPREME RULER - COLD WAR: THE EAGLE & THE BEAR

Theatres of Operations & Messaging

A new feature introduced for this game is the concepts of battle theatres. From what I have seen, this is a super addition for planning on a strategic scale. There are a total of 16 land theatres and 5 oceanic theatres. They can be accessed in two ways – first by the globe circular-like button on the corner of the mini-map panel. As you can see by the screenshots below.

p03-TheatreOceania.jpg

This one shows the Oceania theatre region. There theatres for Eastern & Western North America, Central America, Northern South America, Southern South America, Western Europe, Central Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East, North East Asia, South East Asia, Central Asia, Oceania, Southern Africa, Eastern Africa and Northwest Africa.

p03-TheatreIndOcn.jpg

Similiarly there are five theatres for the world's oceans. There are Indian Ocean (as shown in the screenshot), North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Pacific and South Pacific.

There is also another way of directly access theatre settings. Right click on the map, in the region you wish to configure. Select the Theatre Control option from the menu and you will see the theatre window appearing as in the screenshot below.

p03-TheatreOptions.jpg

As you can see, four seperate theatres converge around the Central Europe area.

Operational theatres can are a great way of setting up how you want you to set out your strategy for a particular region. Essentially they use the automated functions of the game like minister focuses to do the same, but in terms of military priority and operations, diplomatic dealings and espionage actions. Each particular tract has three or four distinct settings so you can tailor your prefences accordingly.

In the above screenshots Military Priority is set to HIGH, Military Focus is set to DEFENSIVE, while Diplomatic Focus is set to LIMITED OFFERS. Espionage Focus is set to CAUTIOUS.

Messaging plays an extremely important part in alerting you to the changing situation around the globe and at home. The main things to be aware of is that messages will be brought to your attention in two ways. In the panel on the right hand side of the screen. Or the speech bubbles that are littered across the map (The orange square-like icons in the screenshots above. Each bubble corresponds to at least one event affecting the particular country that the icon is located in. Clicking on a speech bubble will pop-up one of the messages in the queue for you to action.

Furthermore, each bubble is colour coded depending on the type of message being conveyed. Once you click on a message alert, the event is described and whether appropriate responses are made available for you to decide upon a course of action. See the screenshot below:

p03-Messages.jpg

Now we are ready to begin, are you prepared for the coming war?

[ Next post: ] The Cold War begins: Diplomacy

Last edited:
The biggest improvement for me, is the messages you get and them being color coded, it really helps you to see whats going on around the world.

The improvements to the AI management is very good but this is what i think when i try and manual manage my troops
Ivmdt.png

The biggest improvement for me, is the messages you get and them being color coded, it really helps you to see whats going on around the world.

The improvements to the AI management is very good but this is what i think when i try and manual manage my troops

Yeah the speech bubbles are a real nice touch. However, I think manually managing troops should be a no-no. I much prefer to group units into battlegroups and then let the AI control them. Its really only when the AI fails to achieve what I want to do that I get hands on.

Subscribed!

Yeah the speech bubbles are a real nice touch. However, I think manually managing troops should be a no-no. I much prefer to group units into battlegroups and then let the AI control them. Its really only when the AI fails to achieve what I want to do that I get hands on.

Oh gods, some of us need to be able to manage our own stacks - without that, people wouldn't be able to create "not a single man lost" AARs they did for SR2020 :D.

SUPREME RULER - COLD WAR: THE EAGLE & THE BEAR

The Cold War Begins: Diplomacy

The dawn of a new era begins as the sun rises above the Iron Curtain. As leader of the Free World it is my responsibility to stop all and any incursion by the forces of the Communist regime from spreading it's ideology in any shape or form across the globe.

p04-FactionPanel.jpg

First-off it would be a good idea to remind ourselves which nations are our friends, which are our enemies and those which choose to sit on the fence. We can get an overview of how many countries are siding with whichever side, the number of friendly nations leaning either way and the number of neutrals by going to the faction overview panel, top right of the screen. See the screenshot above.

A closer inspection of the map is needed if we are to see which actual nations are with us and those that are against. For this purpose the map contains a number of different coloured symbols near the capital of a particular nation. Some are of these symbols are circular in nature with a star contained within. There are also funny shaped symbols on the map coloured yellow and aqua. These represent colonies of the more established nations. So for instance, most of the countries on the African continent are colonies of some other nation.

Depending on the colour used in these symbols, it is easy to instantly see which nation is with faction. Dark-blue coloured circles with aqua stars are N.A.T.O allies. Light-blue circles with yellow starts are friendly towards N.A.T.O. While dark-red circles are part of the Warsaw Pact, light-red have a leaning towards the WP. Circles in white with yellow stars are decidedly neutral. During the course of the game, we will employ diplomatic dealings to attempt to change these leanings for our benefit.

p04-CivilRatingWGermany.jpg

So our first moves see us attempt an number of diplomatic initiatives in central and western Europe. West Germany is the obvious target so we look to offer them a Formal Alliance into N.A.T.O. See the DIPLOMATIC RATING and CIVILIAN RATINGs (under the minister portrait) these are a good indicator as to where you stand with the target nation. If these bar are green then its possible to obtain a FORMAL ALLIANCE agreement without much effort. However, if they are orange or red, then its going to be a long slog of sending offering them lots and lots of incentives to become more trusting of us. West Germany it seems doesn't want a FORMAL ALLIANCE. So we are prepared to offer just a NON-AGGRESSION PACT for now, in the hope that in the future our relationship will soar.

p04-DiplomacyTUR.jpg

For the rest of of the dealings, I offer techs for a minimal fee or resources to Greece, Sweden, Austria, Spain, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Honduras, Pakistan and especially Mexico. Turkey is a harder nut to crack, requiring more than just a sweeter. I offer NON-AGGRESSION PACTS to Israel, New Zealand, Australia and to South Korea I offer the option of FREE TRADE to.

p04-DiplomacyYugo.jpg

Furthermore, I offer Yugoslavia an incentive to befriend our cause rather than that of the U.S.S.R. Just one word of warning. Don't offer any nation a FORMAL ALLIANCE or MUTUAL DEFENSE TREATY unless you want to be drawn into their own little war. The unthinkable may happen and you may get dragged into a conflict with the other superpower not of your making.

p04-DiplomacySuccess.jpg

After a few game hours pass we get a response from our attempts at diplomacy. We have generally been successful.

Handshakes aside, its time to turn our attention to our economy. Are you ready to buy and sell?

[ Next post: ] Money talks: The Economy Part I