• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedRooster81

Modding Paladin
55 Badges
Feb 16, 2010
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rome Gold
I've thought of posting this for a while, so here it is: event triggers that you would like to see in CK2. If you have experience modding Paradox games, you will be familiar with event triggers, those things that cause things to happen in the game. So here is my little listing, which I will keep updated with your suggestions.

On_action events
In EU3, there was a file on_action.txt in the /common folder. This file listed a host of happenings for which you could trigger events. With this in mind, I would suggest:

-New monarch: you have a fresh, new player character, with new faults and new perks. Could be used to trigger events for coronation (e.g., your neighbors, vassals, family members, liege can send you gifts, you can throw a feast or tourney, etc.), meeting the estates of your new realm(s), fealty events.

-New liege: you have a new liege. Either you have been conquered, you have inherited a fief or title, or your old liege is gone to join his ancestors. Events: e.g., swear fealty

-An heir is born: you have a new, bouncing baby boy or girl. Present him or her in court, maybe baptism event.

-Death claims your child: events for naming new heir (if necessary), grief and mourning events

-Death of spouse: events for mourning, events related to surviving children

-Battle won/lost: events allowing for decisions related to winning and losing battles: big wins and big losses in particular could affect troop morale, strength of your claims, loyalty of your allies and vassals (fickle folk they are)

-Siege won/lost: events for capturing a barony: raze it, allow the troops to loot for three days, preserve it as it is. Conversely, event for losing a barony, similar to losing a big battle

-Royal marriage: you or one of your children has been married, throw a feast! Arrange a hunt! Then get drunk as the bills start coming in. Additionally, new spouse events: like in CK1, how will the new couple adjust to each other, modified by relations, etc.

-Assassination attempt: someone in your court has had his or her life threatened. Chance for an event in response.

Kandletaadu sent these in. Credit where credit's due. :)

rise_levy
hire_mercs
troops_arrive_to_province
give_title/receive_title
inherit
birth
proposal
wedding

Compliments of Romtos:

Change of law: When the inheritance laws are changed.

Claim title: When a title is claimed.

Declare_war: When a war is declared.

From themendios:
on_death
on_became_heir
on_lost_heir

Event triggers: Then there are normal event triggers and modifiers, the things that shorten MTTH (Mean Time To Happen). My ideas:

Traits: useful for modifying the chance that something will happen, maybe good, maybe bad, but always interesting.

Attribute Proficiency Checks: meaning that certain events could trigger or trigger in a certain way depending on your stats, say if you have less than a ten DIP stat (modified by your chancellor's stat), you could commit a faux pas with an important character, like your liege.

Warfare Events

siege stages: allow events to demand surrender or give up as the defender, say at 0, 25, 50, 75, 100%

warscore: allow events to trigger when a certain percentage of your own demesne is being occupied by the enemy, or your capital. So you could get an event allowing you to submit to your adversary if it looks like all is lost.

Miscellaneous: some useful ones, like:

ai = yes/no (may help free up CPU usage if certain events are for your eyes only); would maybe be useful if it could happen to your dynasts or court members or realm only. With such a large map, this might be important, say if you are in Iceland, it should only matter so much if the Khan of the Golden Horde throws a wedding feast on the marriage of his eldest son, so maybe limit events to fire, maybe even to just Christians, or the vassals or neighbors of Christians (if the Khan is my neighbor I want an invite ;)). Ideas?

government_type = feudal/ecclesiastical/republican/knight_order: a carry-over from CK1; only bishops should get this event, for example...

region/realm = x: only for people who hold title in a certain kingdom

location = x: pretty useful, for characters in a certain location; could work for calling councils or the like (thanks, Grell74)

tier = 0/1/2/3/4: title tiers determine who gets the event: so that if the trigger is tier = 3, then only kings will receive the event, not dukes, counts, or barons.

culture = x, or culture_group = x; religion = x, or religion _group = x: assuming a lot here, maybe, but you get the event (or not if the event calls for NOT = { culture/religion = x }) in question if you have the right religion or culture or NOT. So only Catholics get called for crusades, only Muslims (or depending on who calls it, only followers of a certain branch of Islam) get called for a jihad.

dynasty = x: Oh, please, important one for a game about dynasties; only members of a certain dynasty get the event (modified by other triggers, too of course): for example,
Code:
dynasty = Capet
region = France

would only give the event to your character if he or she belongs to the House of Capet and is a ruler in France.

absentee = yes: trigger if you are not resident in your capital or a certain barony of yours. When the cat is away... your steward or other cronies run the show. Should usually be active whenever you are appointed to your liege's council.

on_crusade: you are on crusade, so maybe get bonuses, plus acts like absentee, and other similar things like at_sea, in_captivity, at_battle

Regency: Checks whether there is a regent/whether a character is a regent. (Romtos)

Pretender: Check for pretenders. Not sure about the mechanics of pretenders, but I figured you can probably check for them. (Romtos)

Occupied: Probably should fall under warfare events. Checks whether a province/barony (since sieges actually goes per barony) is occupied. (Romtos)

At_war: Too obvious, but should check whether at war or even at war with a specific character, religion, culture, dynasty, etc. (Romtos)

War_goal: Checks the war goal when there is a war. At least this screen seems to imply there's war goals. (Romtos)

Target_court_member: Picks a court member of a character suffering the event. Handy for affairs and stuff like that (or friends, enemies, and all other interpersonal contact). Probably should be able to target on sex, possibly culture, religion, age, etc. (Romtos)

[The following six are from themendios. As I understood him, these would trigger events if you are the child of a count, your sibling is a count, or in the case of the third, set rank based on where you are in the succession; the others are useful, like #6, if your province of birth is recorded, as in EU Rome, where it didn't have all that much function, plus it could have consequences, where a native-born prince might get an initial boost on coronation -RR]
child_count
sibling_count
succession_position (ie 1 = heir apparent) )
closest_related_ruler - can use this to try to get there if drifting
related_rulers - same as above except randomly
birth_province - ambitions to move/rule there

Event effect: things that happen when an event fires, maybe as part of a choice:

percentage of gold/prestige/piety/other: event adds or subtracts based on a fraction of your character's annual income in these quantities

change_dynasty: would be cool to be able to change dynasty by event

change_religion: ditto for religion

change_culture: same for culture

gain_tech/lose_tech: you gain or lose a specific technology in a certain barony (assuming it works as in CK1)

gain_building/lose_building: gain or lose a structure in a barony, good for adding or reducing fortifications or royal enterprises like forestry or educational facilities.

gain_trait/lose_trait: good for gaining or losing traits ;)

add_relations/remove_relations: good for adding and removing relations effect, for the desired period of time

Gain_ships: you gain some transport ships. (Romtos)

Gain_troops: you gain some troops. (Romtos)

Gain_child: Handy for affairs, again. Probably should target two characters. (Romtos)

Gain_twins: Remember, Doomdark promised us twins! :D And let's have female bastards while we're at it (RR)

gain_marriage = char (ArneHD) --pretty cool idea, for modeling marriages to cement peace or alliance

So, comrades, some ideas. Please feel free to comment constructively, and of course the devs can reveal what secrets they like.

Last edited:
I remember it was mentioned one reason to include transport ships is so they can be given with events. In addition, I don't see why troops couldn't be granted this way.

So, event effect:

Gain_ships: you gain some transport ships.

Gain_troops: you gain some troops.

It's probably important to define what kind of troops you get, how many and what their source is (levies, holy order, mercenaries).
It'd be cool if you're at war with a ruler with the cruel trait, and you besieging one of his provinces a group of angry peasants joins your siege.

I remember it was mentioned one reason to include transport ships is so they can be given with events. In addition, I don't see why troops couldn't be granted this way.

So, event effect:

Gain_ships: you gain some transport ships.

Gain_troops: you gain some troops.

It's probably important to define what kind of troops you get, how many and what their source is (levies, holy order, mercenaries).
It'd be cool if you're at war with a ruler with the cruel trait, and you besieging one of his provinces a group of angry peasants joins your siege.

Those are some good ones. I think that maybe you could receive them as "patriotic donations" from your subjects, say the merchants of your major port donate the use of their ships for the duration of the war or provision a regiment of mercenaries for you. Or if you are fighting religious enemies, a regiment or two of foreign crusaders (or jihadists) appear to fight for your cause, but expect some kind of reward afterwards, at least some pillage. I like the idea of peasants joining your cause, say a couple thousand light infantry and a few hundred archers?

I'll just keep adding seemingly obvious ones. Some might be better than others.
They're not many of those, your initial list was already rather comprehensive. :)

On action:

Change of law: When the inheritance laws are changed.

Claim title: When a title is claimed.

Declare_war: When a war is declared.

Event triggers:

Regency: Checks whether there is a regent/whether a character is a regent.

Pretender: Check for pretenders. Not sure about the mechanics of pretenders, but I figured you can probably check for them.

Occupied: Probably should fall under warfare events. Checks whether a province/barony (since sieges actually goes per barony) is occupied.

At_war: Too obvious, but should check whether at war or even at war with a specific character, religion, culture, dynasty, etc.

War_goal: Checks the war goal when there is a war. At least this screen seems to imply there's war goals.

Target_court_member: Picks a court member of a character suffering the event. Handy for affairs and stuff like that (or friends, enemies, and all other interpersonal contact). Probably should be able to target on sex, possibly culture, religion, age, etc.

Event effects:

Gain_child: Handy for affairs, again. Probably should target two characters.

Dear God RedRooster, I'll be mighty surprised if Paradox doesn't hire you after CKII is done; you've probably created more useful threads in the CKII board than all the other forumites combined.

OK, i make a new post instead of editing old one:

On_action:

birth
proposal
wedding

(and some trigger my stupid laptop didn't copy for some reason)

on_death
on_became_heir
on_lost_heir

also some kind of condition for same_dynasty, preferably even with degree_of_relation ie your cousin is (parent -> sibling) your greatuncle is 1, your 2nd cousin is 2 etc.

child_count
sibling_count
succession_position (ie 1 = heir apparent)

actually now that computers are bit farther along than in 2004 i'd love to see actual stats/history recorded per character ie

closest_related_ruler - can use this to try to get there if drifting
related_rulers - same as above except randomly
birth_province - ambitions to move/rule there

can probably think of a dozen more but this is definitely one area that bugged me, characters were just faces that popped in and out, love to see some personality/history/ambition to them so that you can develop an actual fondness/annoyance per character instead of them just being another head of cattle

Looks like it's time to reorganize the OP. You guys have had some great ideas, keep them coming. With all the debates that we have had since last August, I think it's good to think in terms of what should be possible in the game, in terms of event triggers, etc., because that really limits how far and in what directions modders could stretch things out.