+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UI Friendly Flagpack

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacy
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

UI Friendly Flagpack

PLEASE NOTE - This Flagpack is now superceded by the Symbols Flagpack (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...mbols-Flagpack). I've had to delete my uploads for this flagpack to free space. If you still want the UI Friendly Flagpack, though, just send me a private message on this forum with your email address, and I will be glad to send you the zip file of the package.

UPDATED 2/14 --

Changed ITA communist flag

UPDATED 12/27 --

See Preview Messages for Changes

UPDATED 10/18 --

Bigger Preview Grids!

UPDATED 9/15 --

Changed ENG (UK) republic flag and ENL (NNM England) fascist flag

UPDATED 8/10 --

1) Added Flags for 50 Non-Vanilla Nations (UI_Friendly_Flags_NN.zip)
    See (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...1#post12725164) for details

2) See Preview Messages for Other Changes

UPDATED 7/24 --

I have been tweaking the Victoria II flags (including those from Thoughtful Punk's set) for a while now. I finally realized that I wanted to create a new flagpack. The ultimate point is to improve the feel of immersion. To accomplish this, I set these goals:

1) Create flags that work nicely with the UI.

Many of the default flags look good carried by armies, but don't look nearly as nice in the centered circle display used frequently by the UI. Most of my flags are centered, and the exceptions are laid out so that the distinguishing parts of the flags are visible in the centered circle display.

2) Create flags that are unique for each country and ideology, and can be interpreted easily.

I've tried to stick with consistent color sets for each country. Of course there are many exceptions for authenticity. I was more likely to make exceptions for more notable (i.e. recognizable) flags.

I've used fairly consistent symbols for the different ideologies. For hypothetical flags, I used a set of regionally authentic overlays. I tried to use each symbol for only one ideology, so that the meaning of each symbol will be clear. Here's an overview of how that works:

a) Simple multicolor flags are almost all republic flags (the few exceptions are monarchies).

b) Flags with traditional coats of arms are almost all monarchy flags. A few exceptions are fascist flags with helmet and shield coats of arms.

c) Flags with islamic crescents are mostly monarchy flags, but there are some republic flags with them. I did NOT add the crescent to create a fascist flag from a historical 'regular' flag.

d) Flags with hammers, sickles, gears, fists, or wheat-circled coats of arms should all be communist flags. Most flags with prominent stars should also be communist flags.

e) Most flags with superimposed eagles, ravens, swords, or bolts should be fascist flags. The exceptions should mostly be authentic and recognizable monarchy flags with eagles or swords.

3) Create flags that are visually appealing, with a detail-level and feel that is at least reasonably period-appropriate.

4) Use authentic flags when possible.

Goal #1 definitely overrode #4 where necessary (see Chile & Cuba). I resolved conflicts between #2 and #4 on a case by case basis, and generally allowed Goal #4 to override #3.
    I will post preview grids of the flags shortly. In the mean time, here is the flagpack.
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:25.

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Transparent Overlays Kit

UPDATED 11/22

UPDATED 7/24

For those of you who want to tinker with the flags yourself, you might find these helpful to use if you are willing to work with layers. Paint.Net makes this fairly easy.

I'll specifically point out the Filter.png file. If you paste this image in a new layer over a flag you are working with, you can see what would show in the small UI circle. Then just undo or delete the layer to go back to editing your flag.
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:17.

Preview Grids for A - G

Updated 12/01

Changed: BRA_fascist, BRE_fascist, COS_fascist, DEN_fascist

Updated 11/22

Changed: AFG_communist, ANH_fascist, AUS_monarchy, BAS_fascist, BHO_fascist, BIK_fascist, BUL_monarchy, BUN_fascist, COB_fascist, FRA_monarchy

Tweaked: ANH_monarchy, ANH_communist, COB_communist, CYP (all), DZG_fascist

Updated 11/5

Changed: ABU_monarchy, ABU_fascist, ALB_republic, ALB_monarchy, ALD_monarchy, ANH_monarchy, ANH_fascist, ARG_monarchy, ARG_fascist, ARM_monarchy, ATJ_fascist, AUS_monarchy, AZB_monarchy, AZB_fascist, BAD_communist, BAV_fascist, BEL_fascist, BHU_fascist, BOH_monarchy, BOH_fascist, BOL_communist, BOL_fascist, BOS (all), BRA (all), BRE_monarchy, BUL_monarchy, BUR_fascist, BYZ_fascist, CAL (all), CAM_republic, CAM_monarchy, CHE_monarchy, CHI_communist, CHI_fascist, CNG_monarchy, CRI_monarchy, CUB_monarchy, CYP_republic, CZH_republic, DAI_monarchy, DOM_monarchy, DOM_fascist, ECU_republic, ECU_communist, EST_monarchy, ETH_fascist, GUA_monarchy, GUA_fascist,

Tweaked: CAN_republic, CAN_communist, DAI_republic, ENG_monarchy, ENG_communist, FLA_republic, FLA_monarchy, FLA_fascist, GWA (all)

Updated 10/18

Changed: ANH_monarchy, CAN_fascist, CNG, CNG_republic, COB_fascist, DOM_republic, DOM_monarchy, ECU_fascist, ELS_communist, FRA_communist, GXI_republic, GXI_fascist

Updated 9/15

Changed: ENG_republic

Updated 8/10

Changed: BOS (all), BOH_monarchy

Tweaked: BOH_republic, BOH_communist, BOH_fascist, ENG_monarchy

Updated 7/24

Changed: BHU_fascist, FRA_monarchy

Tweaked: AFG_communist, CAN_fascist, CHL_fascist, COS_fascist, ECU_fascist, FRA_communist, FRA_fascist
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:16.

Preview Grids for H - O

Updated 2/14

Changed: ITA_communist

Updated 12/13

Changed: HOL_republic, HOL_communist, IND_republic, KRA_communist, LAD_communist, NAL_fascist, NGF_monarchy, NGF_fascist, NIC_fascist

Updated 11/28

Changed: HAI_monarchy, HAM (all), HAN_fascist, HAW_monarchy, HEK_monarchy, HES_monarchy, HND_monarchy, HND_fascist, HOL_fascist, HON_fascist, HUN_communist, HYD_monarchy, ICL_monarchy, IND_fascist, IRE_fascist, IRQ_communist, ITA_communist, JAI_fascist, JAP_monarchy, JAS_fascist, JOD_fascist, KOR_monarchy, LAT_monarchy, LIP (all), LIT_fascist, LUA_communist, LUB_monarchy, MEC_monarchy, MEI_monarchy, MEI_fascist, MEW_communist, MEW_fascist, MOD_monarchy, MOD_fascist, MOL_fascist, MON_communist, MON_fascist, MOR_republic, MOR_communist, MOR_fascist, NAG_fascist, NEN_fascist, NEP_monarchy, NIC (all), NOR_monarchy, NOR_fascist, ORA_communist, ORI_fascist

Tweaked: IND_republic, JAI_monarchy, LAD_fascist, MEC_communist, MEI_republic, MEI_communist, MOD_republic, MOD_communist, NEP (all), NEW_monarchy, NZL_republic, OLD (all), ORA_monarchy

Updated 10/18

Changed: JOH_communist, LUX_republic, LUX_communist, LUX_fascist, MEI_fascist, MEX_communist, NIC, NIC_republic, NIC_fascist

Tweaked: HAI_monarchy, MCK_fascist

Updated 8/10

Changed: HAN_communist, HOL_republic, HOL_monarchy, HOL_fascist, IND_republic

Updated 7/24

Changed: HEK_communist, LAT_communist, NEW_fascist
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:18.

Preview Grids for P - Z

Updated 12/11

Changed: PAP_communist, PAR_republic, PAR_communist, PAR_fascist, PER_monarchy, PEU_republic, PEU_monarchy, PHI_fascist, PNM_fascist, POR_communist, PRG_monarchy, PRG_communist, PRG_fascist, ROM_monarchy, RUS_monarchy, RUS_fascist, RUT (all), SAR_monarchy, SAX_fascist, SER_communist, SER_fascist, SGF_fascist, SHI_monarchy, SIA_communist, SIC_republic, SIC_communist, SIC_fascist, SIE_communist, SIE_fascist, SIK_monarchy, SLO_communist, SOK_communist, SWI_monarchy, SWI_communist, SWI_fascist, TRA (all), TRE_monarchy, TRE_communist, TRI (all), TRN_fascist, TUN_communist, TUS_republic, TUS_communist, TUS_fascist, VNZ_republic, VNZ_monarchy, WEI_fascist, WIA_monarchy, WIA_communist, WIA_fascist, WLL_fascist, WUR_monarchy, ZUL_communist

Tweaked: PAP_republic, PAP_fascist, POL_republic, POL_communist, POL_fascist, POR_republic, PRU_fascist, RHO (all), ROM_communist, SIE_republic, SLO_monarchy

Updated 10/18

Changed: PEU_republic, SAF_communist, SAX_fascist, SER_monarchy, SLO_monarchy, SXI_republic, SXI_fascist, URU_monarchy, WEI_fascist, XBI_republic, XBI_fascist, YNN_republic, YNN_fascist

Updated 7/24

Changed: YEM_communist, USA_communist, YEM_fascist, YEM_republic

Tweaked: PEU_communist, PEU_fascist, ROM_communist, ROM_fascist, ROM_monarchy, PNM_fascist, VNZ_fascist, YNN_fascist
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:19.

Bonus (Dominion Flags)

Update 12/19

Changed: JOH_dominion
    Tweaked: AST_dominion

Updated 8/10

Changed: none
    Tweaked: all
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:15.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Very nice, very nice.

But why did you change Korea's monarchy flag? Is the current one historically inaccurate? Likewise, this may be a bit touchy, but why not use the flag of North Korea for Communist Korea? Afterall, you used South Korea's flag for democracy.

Also, why not use Thoughtful Punk's tricolor for the British republican flag?

And then, the USA's "Don't Tread on Me!" flag should have text on it. Just the snake is historically wrong.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by ZomgK3tchup View Post
    And then, the USA's "Don't Tread on Me!" flag should have text on it. Just the snake is historically wrong.
    I think that's the "UI Friendly" part. A lot of small details, such as text, don't look very good on-screen once the flag is much-reduced in size. If the point was complete historical accuracy, after all, you wouldn't worry about things like whether a flag is centered for the UI view.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

These flags are..... Awesome.
    Communist Korea flag should be the North Korean flag.
    Communist China flag should be the current China flag.
    And I like the Australian Flags :3

Very nice, very nice.

But why did you change Korea's monarchy flag? Is the current one historically inaccurate? Likewise, this may be a bit touchy, but why not use the flag of North Korea for Communist Korea? Afterall, you used South Korea's flag for democracy.

Also, why not use Thoughtful Punk's tricolor for the British republican flag?

The Korean monarchy flag is the basically the same flag. I just rendered my flags fresh from source material whereever possible. I think you'll see that in this case, my flag is closer to the source material (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._of_Joseon.svg) than the original.

The communist Korea flag was a judgement call. If I used the official North Korean flag, I would have had to center the star. Then I found the party flag (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...y_of_Korea.svg) , which I considered unique and appealing.

I didn't use Thoughtful Punk's UK republic flag because I do plan on expanding and having a seperate set of flags for non-UK England. Punk's UK republic flag is perfect for that.

I removed the words from the "Don't Tread on Me Flag" because they didn't fit the UI circle. I'll take a look at adding them back depending how that looks in the UI circle.
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 12-07-2011 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLPlakat View Post
    These flags are..... Awesome.
    Communist Korea flag should be the North Korean flag.
    Communist China flag should be the current China flag.
    And I like the Australian Flags :3
    Thanks. Yeah, I enjoyed making the Australia ones. The fascist one is from the Capital Territory Flag (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._Territory.svg).

I like my communist China one pulled from the civil war period (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...oviet_flag.svg) as a better period fit.

Both that and North Korea were judgement calls, though.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Blog Entries
    IMO, historical accuracy should go above all else.

Btw, you know the whole flag is still seen in events, decisions, and battles, right? Even if it doesn't fit in the UI circle, it's still seen.

If you want an interesting US monarchy flag, I recommend checking out the flag of Washington D.C., essentially George Washington's coat of arms turned into a flag. But yeah, "Don't Tread on Me!" should totally be on the flag for the historical accuracy. IMO, it's like taking St. George's Cross out of the union jack. The entire point of the flag is the words on it.

Definitely recommend the NK flag for communist Korea. Since the north and south don't have individual tags, using both flags is optimal.

But overall, really nice flagpack. Out of hundreds of flags, I only have like two complaints. That's really a good job.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Well, my suggestion then would be to download one of the flag packs which focuses on historical accuracy and not one which is named "UI Friendly" flagpack.

But I agree. The flags look great. Good job.

Btw, you know the whole flag is still seen in events, decisions, and battles, right? Even if it doesn't fit in the UI circle, it's still seen.

If you want an interesting US monarchy flag, I recommend checking out the flag of Washington D.C., essentially George Washington's coat of arms turned into a flag. But yeah, "Don't Tread on Me!" should totally be on the flag for the historical accuracy. IMO, it's like taking St. George's Cross out of the union jack. The entire point of the flag is the words on it..
    Working nicely with the UI circle was (as I stated) one of the main drivers for this pack. I said that goal #1 (working with the UI) was going to trump accuracy. I'm surprised this flag is where you disagree so clearly, though. Did you see the violence that I did to the Cuban flag?

I'll look at how it would look with the words, though (and will look into the monarchy flag also).

Definitely recommend the NK flag for communist Korea. Since the north and south don't have individual tags, using both flags is optimal.

But overall, really nice flagpack. Out of hundreds of flags, I only have like two complaints. That's really a good job.
    Thanks! I'm still thinking on the Korea and China flags. My initial reaction is that the NK party flag is just more interesting than a centered version of the national flag.

Blog Entries
    I like what you did with the China flag, actually. It's more visibly appealing than the current one.

And even though the PRC flag is notorious as China's flag, it's not the only and certainly not the first communist flag. It's understandable that if China underwent a communist revolution early that there would be a different flag.

Oh dear @ the Cuba flag.

I'm slightly biased with the America flag, I must admit. Until those wackjob Tea Party guys started using it, my house had a "Don't Tread on Me!" flag flying, haha.

I guess it's a bit of a sketchy place you're going to when you start altering real flags. Before you know it, someone's going to come in here yelling about how you mangled the flag of their homeland. D:

Quick Update

I was able to create a version of the Don't Tread flag that satisfied me.

I've also deferred to (centered versions of) the well-known Chinese and Korean communist flags. I'll keep my previous versions of these two in the pack as CHI_communist_2 and KOR_communist_2, though.

Defaults:

Alternates:

I have updated the zip and preview grids.
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:21.

Simplified and Stylish Realism Bob Ilyani's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Some good stuff there.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Very nice flag pack! While I too favor historical accuracy, I think its pretty silly for people to not read your approval/creation process for these flags and post their disagreements :P Good work

Flags for Fifty Additional Countries (Mostly from New Nations)

I have created UI-friendly flags (see first message for details) for 50 non-vanilla countries. The vast majority of these countries are in the New Nations Mod, but I didn't always use the same TAG as NNM did. You can use these with NNM, though, just by tweaking the filenames.

Here is a list of the tags that I used which differ from the NNM tags:

ANT (Antilles) - similiar to NNM tag ANI (Antillean Confederation), flags are based on Martinique

CHN (Channel Islands) - NNM tag JNG (Jersey & Guernsey)

GAL (Galicia) - NNM tag GLC

GRN (Greenland) - not in current version of NNM

KUR (Kurdistan) - NNM tag KDS

KZN (Kazan) - NNM tag TAR (Tartarstan)

NMX (New Mexico) - not in NNM

PAL (Palestine) - NNM tag PLS

PIR (Piratini) - NNM tag RGS (Rio Grande do Sul)

PRB (Pernambuco) - NNM tag CEQ (Equador Confederation)

PRT (Puerto Rico) - NNM tag PRI

TUV (Tuva) - NNM tag TNT (Tannu Tuva)

VAS (Vasconia) - NNM tag BSQ (Basqueland)

WIN (Winward Islands) - similiar to NNM tag ANI (Antillean Confederation), flags are based on Barbados

WLS (Wales) - NNM tag WHA

Updated 12/27:

Changed: BIH_monarchy, BIH_fascist, CIR_republic, CRS_monarchy, DAG_monarchy, ENL_fascist, ENT (all), FIU_republic, FIU_communist, GAL_fascist, GRN_monarchy, GRN_fascist, IOM_republic, IOM_communist, IOM_fascist, JAM_monarchy, JOR_communist, KAM_fascist, KAZ_fascist, LEB_monarchy, MAH (all), MLT_monarchy, SIB_monarchy, SRI_fascist, TUV_republic, TUV_monarchy, URA_republic, VAS_monarchy, VAS_fascist, WES (all), YUC_fascist

Tweaked: FIU_fascist, PRB (all)

Updated 10/18

Changed: BNG_monarchy, BNG_communist, BNG_fascist, ENL_fascist

Updated 9/15

Changed: ENL_fascist

Preview Grids (last one is bonus dominion flags):
    Last edited by chandlerw1; 16-05-2012 at 04:14.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

English flags are so wrong
    Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

"There is no joy without Clan Donald. There is no strength to be without them!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast