+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AMP - Additional Music Pack for Victoria II

Charlie Brown's disciple Maestro Ugo's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIISemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

AMP - Additional Music Pack for Victoria II

Introduction
    Victoria 2 music is great and adds a lot of immersion to the game, but the collection is limited. There are 17 pieces with a total running time of just over an hour. Meaning that if you play a V2 session for 3 or 4 hours you are bound to hear the same music two, three or more times. AMP Features over 300MB of music, 44 different compositions with total playing time of over 4 hours. I have created this collection to complement the excellent music already in the game with actuall music from the second part of the 19th and early 20th century.

Philosophy
    I choose those pieces of music that I thought would work well with the game and create a nice atmosphere without being too imposing. There is an excellent thread here about what people like to listen to while playing Victoria. While being very useful for ideas I thought of creating a collection that would be accessible for everyone. This is the process of selection I went through while collecting these musical pieces:

My primary concern were copyright and other legal issues, as even though all of the pieces are old enough not to be protected, performers' interpretations are. In the first step I made a selection of authors from the era and searched the sites like Musopen or Free Music Archive for all the compositions created by said authors and preformed by artists who are either too old for the copyright to apply or made recordings under the GNU, GGND or similar, meaning they are free to be redistributed as long as it's non profit and the authors are mentioned. This made a huge selection (over 3GB) from which I made the choice.

I selected only the instrumental pieces (to keep with the spirit of the original V2 music) with a maximum length of 8 minutes, to make things more dynamic (with the exception of few overtures by Berlioz and a rhapsody by Liszt, which just seemed perfect for the game). From those I selected what I think would suit the V2 best discarding poor quality recordings in the process. There are a lot of piano solos, some chamber music like string quartets and some orchestra compositions. I added a few waltzes in the mix, as they describe the era well. A few pieces are from years preceding the game start, but most are from the second part of the 19th century.

Not all the pieces I wanted made it as I didn't find good enough copyright free performances. All *.mp3 files are in the „Composer-Name of the piece_preformer“ format and have an AMP_ prefix, to be easily distinguishable from the original V2 music.

Note that not all of the recordings and performances might be perfect, but I think they are definitely good enough. If you thing a piece or two is detrimental for immersion and should be discarded, or if you notice I failed to cut out the applause somewhere, please feel free to post.

Playlist

Install Instructions
    Note: 2nd option is recommended!

1st option: Extract the archive in your Victoria 2 install directory. Or copy the *.mp3 files from the archive to the /music folder in the Victoria 2 install directory.

2nd option: As was noted later in the post, the game wasn't built to handle so many different files, so the best way to proceed would be the following:
    1) Create a new folder in your Victoria 2 folder and call it AMP.
    2) Copy the *.mp3 files from the Victoria 2\Music to the AMP folder.
    3) Extract the *.mp3 files from the AMP.zip file in the same folder.
    4) Play all the *.mp3 files from that folder in a program like Windows Meadia Player or WinAmp and put on shuffle.
    5) Start the game and turn the music off in options, but leave the sound FX on.

With the 2nd option, you'll get the sound FX to work great, and have access to both the original V2 music plus this extra stuff on shuffle for 5 hours of non-repeating music awesomeness. You can later adjust the volume of the music in the Media player or WinAmp to your liking.

Download:

FileFactory
    Uploading.com

Well, hope you like this, it took me a few weeks of work and quite a bit of effort. Please post your feedback and suggestions for further improvement here.

P.S. If anybody knows a way how to designate which pieces the game should play in early, middle and late parts of the game, would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Maestro Ugo; 20-02-2013 at 13:14.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisRise of Prussia500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Ugo View Post
    P.S. If anybody knows a way how to designate which pieces the game should play in early, middle and late parts of the game, would be greatly appreciated.
    You should add to ask, if its possible to play some songs only in war/peace times. And how to do it ._.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    The link says "file temporarily unavailable." Dunno if that's you or the website.

Likewise, can we get a playlist? 300 MBs is a bit of memory.

Not really a fascist brony monsterfurby's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Very nice. Not being a huge fan of these upload sites, I'd be willing to create a .torrent file for the archive. Since everything is public domain or properly licensed, that should be no problem.
    Public Service Announcement:
    "...this is still a free country and anyone telling a
    fellow like me "brother you're full of ****" better be
    good and ready to answer politely when asked if he'd care
    to say why!"

Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Please do, I'll edit it in the first post. I don't know a first thing about creating torrents.

@ZomgK3tchup: I'll see what I can do...

here is the playlist:

Last edited by Maestro Ugo; 11-07-2011 at 22:28.

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome

Please do, I'll edit it in the first post. I don't know a first thing about creating torrents.

@ZomgK3tchup: I'll see what I can do...
    Alright, as soon as megaupload lets me get the file, I'll be on it
    to say why!"

Quote Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
    Alright, as soon as megaupload lets me get the file, I'll be on it
    Megaupload doesn't work, I'll try another site. It worked fine the first time I tried...

EDIT: Nevermind, managed to do it myself, It's not all that hard, really! Cheers anyway! Torrent in the first post, will also add one of the uploading sites as soon as the file is up - for people who dislike torrents.
    Last edited by Maestro Ugo; 11-07-2011 at 22:41.

Thanks. In any case, me and my 50 MBit line are seeding.
    to say why!"

Cheers! I just don't understand how you got it, I'm also seeding and it only says I uploaded a few hundred KBs... Nevermind. Anyway, I added a direct download link in the first post also, for people who prefer that, hopefully this one will work.

Cheers! I just don't understand how you got it, I'm also seeding and it only says I uploaded a few hundred KBs... Nevermind. Anyway, I added a direct download link in the first post also, for people who prefer that, hopefully this one will work.
    I downloaded the version from the uploading website and just put it in my torrent folder. Since it's the same file, my torrent software just recognized it and started seeding. Anyway, it looks like people should have no problem getting it now
    to say why!"

I found that I failed to cut out a part of one piece with applause, so please download and extract AMP_hotfix.zip from the first post over your V2 folder with replace.

Also, any feedback on this?

Sorry for the bump. Nice pack. You should add Preußens Gloria and L'internationale (instrumental, obviously). Königgrätzer Marsch is pretty nice as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, will look into finding the free versions of those!

Don't know if OP is around anymore but this mod was fantastic. I've put 50 hours of time playing Vicky II with this music on. My only complaint is that it feels like sometimes, one or two songs keep getting repeated over and over again.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad people are using it. As for the repetition - there is nothing I can do about it, I guess the game just wasn't build with the intention of having that many music pieces and a glitch accursn now and then. It might, also, be just "bad luck" as I played hundreds of hours with it and didn't notice this.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods

26 mins to do Direct download. Also Megaupload is been closed by the FBI for a year now. You should remove that link.
    It has been said that history repeats itself.

“The more you know about the past, the better prepared you are for the future.” ~ Teddy Roosevelt
    “A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.” ~ Robert Heinlein
    “I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
    “What is history? An echo of the past in the future; a reflex from the future on the past” ~ Victor Hugo
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” ~ George Santayana
    “History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” ~ Karl Marx
    “And history with all her volumes vast, Hath but one page.” ~ Lord Byron
    Goodbye East vs West. You're not forgotten!
    The glow! Aaah! The wonderful glow! Can you not see it, General?

Quote Originally Posted by wildbillhdmax01 View Post
    26 mins to do Direct download. Also Megaupload is been closed by the FBI for a year now. You should remove that link.
    The link is to uploading.com, not Megaupload...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireLeviathan: Warships
    MagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods

The link is to uploading.com, not Megaupload...
    Then where does the torrent come from? Wait I see you removed the link to the torrent. I guess you understand what I was talking about?

Anyways hey. (AMP_Chopin-Mazurka Op.63 No.2_Vadim Chaimovich) Doesn't work.
    It has been said that history repeats itself.

“The more you know about the past, the better prepared you are for the future.” ~ Teddy Roosevelt
    “A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.” ~ Robert Heinlein
    “I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
    “What is history? An echo of the past in the future; a reflex from the future on the past” ~ Victor Hugo
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” ~ George Santayana
    “History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” ~ Karl Marx
    “And history with all her volumes vast, Hath but one page.” ~ Lord Byron
    Goodbye East vs West. You're not forgotten!
    The glow! Aaah! The wonderful glow! Can you not see it, General?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad people are using it. As for the repetition - there is nothing I can do about it, I guess the game just wasn't build with the intention of having that many music pieces and a glitch accursn now and then. It might, also, be just "bad luck" as I played hundreds of hours with it and didn't notice this.
    The game really, really isn't designed to have this much music, and it can cause a crashbug having too many music files to go through.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne
    EUIV: Art of War

Is there any other direct download link? The uploading.com one kept saying I was downloading something already and now it's saying I've reached the download limit!

I'm looking forward for some brilliant music however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast