• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Hello and welcome back to another Sengoku developer diary. This week has been very busy as the team is getting the last features into place, and because of it today's diary will be a short one. As said at the end of last week's developer diary, today's topic will be ninjas.

In Sengoku there are about twenty historical ninja clans present. Unlike other clans, these will not hold any land or titles, and will instead travel around Japan in search of a temporary employer who wants to claim their services. To increase the chance of one of these clans turning up in your domain you can give your Master of the Guard the task of recruiting them. Once a ninja clan show up in one of your koris, it will stay there for a period of time before moving on. During this time you have the choice of hiring them to perform one specific mission, such as assassinate or kidnap a character, rescue a hostage or weaken the defense of a castle in an enemy kori. Every mission will have a difficulty level as well as a discovery chance, and each ninja clan will have two stats that will determine how well they will perform these missions - ability and stealth.

To defend yourself against attacks from ninja clans hired by your opponents, the intrigue skill of your Master of the Guard will be essential. The higher his intrigue value is, the better the chance is of a hostile mission not succeeding or being discovered. Should a mission go wrong, there is a chance that the employer is exposed as being behind the attempt. In that case the target character will have the option to sacrifice some of his own honor in order to expose the attacker and make him lose face - and a lot of honor. Should you feel really worried about being attacked you could also hire a ninja clan to act as your personal body guard.

sengoku_ninja.jpg sengoku_ninja_missions.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, that link leads to... exactly here.

Fixified :) Sorry, had the DD link for the sticky thread in the copy ring, and the wikipedia link was in my copy-on-select ring. Got those two mixed up...

Looks neat. Ninjas are also one time things though? No way to take them on as formal vassal clans?

No you can't hire them permanently or give them land.

This looks pretty awesome... ninjas won't have any sort of "loyalty" though, will they? Say a faction hires a clan of ninjas a lot of times, will the ninjas have no issue working for the people they were just fighting?

On another note, will the stats of each clan change as they progress through the game? i.e a clan that is does a lot of kidnapping missions will have a progressively growing skill in performing those missions.

Thanks for the information.

Can you form relationships with these ninja clans so that they become available more often to you? Also, I'm unsure whether this is historically accurate, but could good relations with a ninja clan reduce their chance of (or, increase their price for) attacking you?

This looks pretty awesome... ninjas won't have any sort of "loyalty" though, will they? Say a faction hires a clan of ninjas a lot of times, will the ninjas have no issue working for the people they were just fighting?

On another note, will the stats of each clan change as they progress through the game? i.e a clan that is does a lot of kidnapping missions will have a progressively growing skill in performing those missions.

To the best of my knowledge they won't keep track of their employers/targets or change in stats.

Unhistorical influence.

?

so it is not possible to keep one clan in your service in a long term? what if i use them to protect me against assassins, they'll do so until someone attempts something against me, then i need to hire them again? and the prices are for one time task? i mean, i pay them once, the required amount for their services, or is it a monthly thing?

also, are you planing to release a demo by any chace? haha, i'm quite excited -as i am sure many others are as well- to get my hands on the game heh.

also, i know this is an ahead-of-it's-time kind of question, but, will it be possible to buy the game via net-providers? i'm not sure if that is the correct term to use for it, but, i mean if it'll be possible to buy it via the net and download the game instead of getting it on a disk, like via gamersgate or steam, honestly, i prefer gamersgate to steam, but, any would suffice i suppose.

Unhistorical influence.

How?

Ninja and shinobi did exist, they weren't just the superhuman night warriors of death they are depicted as since the Edo period. They were just samurai or mercenaries specialized in covert operations.

Thanks for the information.

Can you form relationships with these ninja clans so that they become available more often to you? Also, I'm unsure whether this is historically accurate, but could good relations with a ninja clan reduce their chance of (or, increase their price for) attacking you?

It's historically accurate. Hanzo Hattori did exist, he was a retainer of the Tokugawa Clan and he did have good relations with the Iga samurai/ninja there, so much that they helped Tokugawa Ieyasu slip away from Osaka in the aftermath of the Honnoji Incident before Mitsuhide's troops could capture him.

Last edited:
also, i know this is an ahead-of-it's-time kind of question, but, will it be possible to buy the game via net-providers? i'm not sure if that is the correct term to use for it, but, i mean if it'll be possible to buy it via the net and download the game instead of getting it on a disk, like via gamersgate or steam, honestly, i prefer gamersgate to steam, but, any would suffice i suppose.

Yes, you will be able to buy the game from online stores like GamersGate, Steam, Direct2Drive etc.

How?

Ninja and shinobi did exist, they weren't just the superhuman night warriors of death they are depicted as since the Edo period. They were just samurai or mercenaries specialized in covert operations.

Exactly, and this is what we're aiming for.