+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria II Random World Generator!

Not really a fascist brony monsterfurby's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by m68135 View Post
    That's a great idea! It can be done yes.

Added Chinese to the next version, thanks.
    Excellent! And: No problem, I'll work on the composite Chinese as well.

The current version of the German language module produces more interesting results:

This generator is already fun just by looking at the generated world map - can't wait to get my AAR started
    Public Service Announcement:
    "...this is still a free country and anyone telling a
    fellow like me "brother you're full of ****" better be
    good and ready to answer politely when asked if he'd care
    to say why!"

First Lieutenant Headshotcatcher's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Ah okay makes sense, but I'll refrain from touching those things, no familiarity with colours and coding haha
    But here are the DutchNames files, it seems to give pretty normal and cool names. When removing all the other names and giving 125 'dutch' countries it doesn't seem to give weird or quirky names. Also would it be possible to have yet another .names file to define whether the country gets something like 'New' or 'High' in front of it? One that has like one in ten chance to be used.

Also for future expansion of this generator there is this small list of stuff I'd like to see: (Not being needy, sorry if I appear so :P)
    Unreleased countries
    Unification countries
    'Old World' and 'New World' (civilised countries are mainly surrounded by other civilised countries, uncivs mainly surrounded by uncivs)
    DEMONYMS (Maybe an addendum for the .names3 file), this is especially important with 'foreign' countries
    Less racially and religiously pure countries :P Maybe base the races on surrounding countries and present cores? For example if half of your country is covered by cores to an unreleased country a different race is prevalent there?

I'd gladly help

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cc4e...DutchNames.zip

EDIT: Also, is there a reason for the Roman names being fully capitalised? I changed them to just have capital first letter :P
    1 Clerk
    Nationality: Dutch
    Religion: Agnostic
    Ideology: Social-Democrat
    Issues: Plurality/Anti Military
    Militancy: 0 (-1.00)
    Consciousness: 9 (+0)

The game always crashes when i hit play although i used different seeds

The Guardian of Divergences Athalcor's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Sword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    Europa Universalis IV

Wonderful idea !
    I actually do not have time to play V2 but still...
    Immersion Enhancement mod for the Byzantine Empire - With an Imperial Decadence system!

Gravel kind: The best succession law since the introduction of cement kind.

Modders: The guys who know the games the best without actually being able to play them...

My two shamefully abandoned AARs...

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThronePenumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Does MP work? And is it possible to add MAX regions, pop, etc? Like that random generator to HoI3
    Last edited by DeltaFreedom; 09-07-2011 at 21:08.

Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

My game crashed when i hit play, i used seed 2, and I made it so there were:
    75 factions, 30 cultures, 75 % civilized, 15% slavery, 2 chinas, 3-6 superpowers, 0 russias.
    Come see my AAR: Scandinavia: 1890-1936 w/ Great Wars : Dead
    Try my user tweak for PDM mod Victoria 2. Winter, gaining cores, and more.
    Victoria 2 Pop Utility, works with any version
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon
    Contact me by PM or at flame7926@gmail.com if you are interested in helping

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: Rome
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaFreedom View Post
    Does MP work? And is it possible to add MAX regions, pop, etc? Like that random generator to HoI3
    Theoretically MP should work, if you and your MP partner have the exact same folders and files :P

And yes it's possible to add stuff like that, you'll have to delve into the generator.py file though
    1 Clerk

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThronePenumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotcatcher View Post
    Theoretically MP should work, if you and your MP partner have the exact same folders and files :P

And yes it's possible to add stuff like that, you'll have to delve into the generator.py file though
    Thank you!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

I'm very interested in this mod, it's looking very good so far. Some recommendations though:

- Cores on another nation's lands (maybe with some of your own cultures living there)

- Option to expand countries by a couple of providences to fill in odd uncolonised areas

- Greater dispersal of cultures and religions

- Flag randomisation could include various basic patterns with multiple colours, eg. 3 rectangles (like a lot of European flags), or circle within another shape (some Asian flags).

- Rename all capital lettered names into first letter capital, the rest in lower case

- Option to allow uncivilised countries to be grouped together (rather than a civilised bordering an uncivilised bordering another civilised nation)

- Option to allow uncolonised areas to be in large groups, rather than dispersed (eg. V2 Africa)

- Option to allow all ideologies and political parties from the onset (include communism & fascism)

- Make some countries start out with territories of another (to provoke wars or rebellions)

So far I'm looking forward for the mod as it's very promising. I hope you can work on it more

what about making civilized nations or at least super powers less likely to start next to vast chunks of uncolonized areas? I think that would be nice and realistic.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by medopu View Post
    what about making civilized nations or at least super powers less likely to start next to vast chunks of uncolonized areas? I think that would be nice and realistic.
    Russia and the United States disagree with you.

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by flame7926 View Post
    My game crashed when i hit play, i used seed 2, and I made it so there were:
    75 factions, 30 cultures, 75 % civilized, 15% slavery, 2 chinas, 3-6 superpowers, 0 russias.
    Just a guess, but maybe the game generated 6 superpowers + 2 chinas and hicupped on trying to assign enough provinces. Try lowering the minimum province count for those or generate less of them - that solved a few stability issues for me.
    to say why!"

Benevolent Imperialist flame7926's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
    Just a guess, but maybe the game generated 6 superpowers + 2 chinas and hicupped on trying to assign enough provinces. Try lowering the minimum province count for those or generate less of them - that solved a few stability issues for me.
    I used a different seed and it worked, China was a civilized giant, india was an uncivilized giant, north america was one country, and south america was too.
    Come see my AAR: Scandinavia: 1890-1936 w/ Great Wars : Dead
    Try my user tweak for PDM mod Victoria 2. Winter, gaining cores, and more.
    Victoria 2 Pop Utility, works with any version
    White Man's Burden mod for Victoria 2. Greatly improves exploration and colonization, as well as rebellions and international affairs: Coming Soon
    Contact me by PM or at flame7926@gmail.com if you are interested in helping

Posted a new version! Download from the first page. Changes:

Version 1.21 (2001-07-11)
    - No longer interrupts if there are more provinces to distribute than there are available (this would cause a crash on the game)
    - Added a Settings.ini file to easily customize variables
    - Added unreleased factions (quantity and size customizable on Settings.ini) (this is still gonna be improved when I make culture groups spawn together)
    - Added an option (on Settings.ini) to not randomize regions or provinces names (default: off)
    - Secondary power suffixes are now customizable on SecPowerSuffixes.txt
    - Other minor tweaks

by monsterfurby:
    - Updated Latin and German dictionaries (looks like no one liked the oldskool ROMANVM names. hehe)
    - Added Chinese

by Headshotcatcher:
    - Added Dutch

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWar of the Vikings

Posted a new version! Download from the first page. Changes:

Version 1.21 (2001-07-11)
    - No longer interrupts if there are more provinces to distribute than there are available (this would cause a crash on the game)
    - Added a Settings.ini file to easily customize variables
    - Added unreleased factions (quantity and size customizable on Settings.ini) (this is still gonna be improved when I make culture groups spawn together)
    - Added an option (on Settings.ini) to not randomize regions or provinces names (default: off)
    - Secondary power suffixes are now customizable on SecPowerSuffixes.txt
    - Other minor tweaks

by monsterfurby:
    - Updated Latin and German dictionaries (looks like no one liked the oldskool ROMANVM names. hehe)
    - Added Chinese

by Headshotcatcher:
    - Added Dutch
    It is 10 years old.

Europa Universalis IV

Hmm in my game suddenly all provinces are without inhabitants. The only things I altered were the 'randomise province name' and state name..

Any clue as to how this could happen?

Re-installing didn't fix it
    1 Clerk

Nice, great update!
    I have uploaded a few additional logos for communist and fascist countries here:
    http://www.hanmun.de/communist-and-f...-logo-pack.rar
    I obviously could not add some fascist logos, so I used a few fictional ones (from the movies Richard III and V for Vendetta) in their stead.

I can also confirm the bug that all provinces are unpopulated if you disable randomized names.

Edit: Also for those who'd rather have more subtle monarchist symbols instead of the squares and shield-shaped ones, here is a selection of alternatives. They are currently named to replace all the huge symbols in the original set as automatic expansion of the files seems not to be implemented yet, but you should be able to rename them as an add-on with ease.

http://www.hanmun.de/alternative_monarchist.rar

In the following archive, you will find composite chinese elements that yield names like Luoyang, Beijing, Xian and so forth:

http://www.hanmun.de/chinese_composites.rar

And last, but not least, the newest version of the German names, with some additions thanks to my girlfriend's extensive knowledge of obscure places in the Lower Saxony countryside

http://www.hanmun.de/german_expanded_v2.rar

Also, I found that the following setting yield the best results for flags and nation colors:

#pick a random color
    hue = random.uniform(0.0, 1.0)

#define that color's saturation
    saturation = random.uniform(0.9, 1.0)

#define that color's value (aka lightness)
    value = random.uniform(0.6,0.9)

(just a tweak, really, not a big change)

Eventually, as a faraway goal, maybe a palette could be used before the randomization, so that randomization only kicks in if all of the possible palette color combinations are already used. To elaborate on that, color bias for certain ideologies might be interesting as well (red, gold for communists, brown, gray and black for fascists, red, blue and white for democracies created from revolution and so on)

Edit 2: Another random though: since the generator already "knows" which provinces are coastal, would it be possible eventually (there are of course far more important things than this) to tweak the algorithm to settle coastal provinces first? I believe that this might be somewhat of a solution to the "stretched-out" countries we are seeing now and the fact that some countries generate the same way regardless of the seed (i.e. the south American meganation and the one that leads down the coast of west Africa. In all my games, these nations have been there, nearly unaltered.)
    Last edited by monsterfurby; 11-07-2011 at 21:24.
    to say why!"

And so it came to be that, ten years and a few hours later, a hotfix was released.

Version 1.22 (2011-07-11)
    - Fixed not generating pops when RandomizeRegionsNames or Provinces were set to False.
    * by monsterfurby:
    - Added more communist and fascist drawings.
    - Added composite Chinese and updated German.

In regards to colors: I remember some time ago I did had a palette with some 10-20 colors, while it looked nice, colors were repeated too often. Maybe 40+ colors would work, I'll test this another time.

monsterfurby, the link to alternative_monarchist is broken.

Also, for communist/monarchy/fascist icons, this new version detects any file that begins with "mon", "fasc" or "comm" and ends with ".png", so if you put a "comm293874happy.png" on Generator/, it will get that one too.

monsterfurby, the link to alternative_monarchist is broken.

Also, for communist/monarchy/fascist icons, this new version detects any file that begins with "mon", "fasc" or "comm" and ends with ".png", so if you put a "comm293874happy.png" on Generator/, it will get that one too.
    And there was great rejoicing! Seriously, this is getting better and better. And just when I had a good run in my current game

As for the file: oops, seems I forgot to upload that one. Should be fixed now.
    to say why!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast