+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria II Random World Generator!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Download isn't working at all.

Try another browser, it worked from here.

I'll add another mirror on the next update. I should update by next week, too busy with other projects right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Chaos View Post
    Download isn't working at all.
    for me, of all the browsers, only firefox worked. Try that.

Not really a fascist brony monsterfurby's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This is just... just amazing! I loved the totally random world generator back in EU2 which generated new nations as well, and this one seems a worthy successor. I will have to write an AAR with this!

I'm planning to expand the German language files a bit and divide them so they produce slightly better results. For example, the third file has parts like -nburg, -nberg and so forth. As those names originate from actual terms (Burg = castle, Berg = mountain), it seems to produce better results to move the -n- into the second file.

Also, how awesome is this?

Another Edit: I uploaded the updates files for German (fixed grammar and structure, expanded some) and latin (fixed all-caps, replaced V with u) here:
    http://www.hanmun.de/german_latin_expanded_1.rar

A few questions:

1. Are you planning to randomize political party names as well?
    2. Can you make name additions like "Nations" or "Confederacy" editable? That would be awesome.
    3. If you need help creating a few more graphical assets for flags, I would gladly be of help. Is it currently possible to plug in additional graphics by expanding on the current naming conventions and just using higher numbers?
    Last edited by monsterfurby; 07-07-2011 at 17:51.
    Public Service Announcement:
    "...this is still a free country and anyone telling a
    fellow like me "brother you're full of ****" better be
    good and ready to answer politely when asked if he'd care
    to say why!"

Haha, Berserkrborg... at least it's an Empire, not an uncivilized nation with one province. hehe.

If you send me the improved german dictionary, I'll add it to the next version.

The questions...
    1. Yes, that could be done.
    2. Yes.
    3. Hum, I wrote the flags code months ago... I know the monarchies are extendable, the others I think they aren't. But it's easy to change that, so if you wanna send me new graphics for monarches, fascists etc., they'll be there on the next update! Only restriction is that they are .PNG with transparency and the exact same dimensions (see the other PNGs for reference). Then name them, like Fasc1.png, Fasc2.png, etc.

My first world was pretty bad, Europe was sparsely populated by 1-province countries.

I think my 2nd generated world looks much better:

I began playing a Great Power on the West coast of North America called "Coxtli Union."

Here are some immediate thoughts I had after playing for an hour:
    • The red circles are places where two countries meet and might as well be the same color.
    • The red line connects a single country with its capital on the "British" Isles. I guess it really is the super power since it has all the territory from New England to the tip of South America.
    • Blue circles are two regions with the same name, "Texotl."
    • Blue dots are 3 provinces named "Cuatl."
    • Yellow dots are 5 pairs of provinces that also share the same names, "Cotl," "Mitl," "Natl," "Tetl," and "Tletl."
    • I started with 17 brigades, but could only field 1.
    • Religion icons were reused (might want to just add multiple colors of the icons or give multiple cultures the same religion.)
    • I'm sure you can tell the colors, on both the flags and the map, can be a bit garish. Though I do really appreciate them matching. It does help since they're all so unfamiliar.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Blog Entries
    Since vanilla countries don't exist, you might want to consider adding Britain red, France blue, Russian green, etc, to your code.

The world, for some reason, generates as blue-purple-green, most of the time with extremely bright or dark shades of red in random places.

First Lieutenant Headshotcatcher's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Umm, when I ran it I got no new flags and the country names were their tags, how do I fix this?

EDIT: Never mind, fixed it by adding 'run as administrator' to the python executable compatibility thing

Also, OP, do you want me to make a names file for Dutch?
    Last edited by Headshotcatcher; 08-07-2011 at 11:23.
    1 Clerk
    Nationality: Dutch
    Religion: Agnostic
    Ideology: Social-Democrat
    Issues: Plurality/Anti Military
    Militancy: 0 (-1.00)
    Consciousness: 9 (+0)

Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by m68135 View Post
    Haha, Berserkrborg... at least it's an Empire, not an uncivilized nation with one province. hehe.
    If you send me the improved german dictionary, I'll add it to the next version.
    Alright, I placed a link to the previous version in the post before that one. I'm already working on expanding it further, I'll send the result to you then.

3. Hum, I wrote the flags code months ago... I know the monarchies are extendable, the others I think they aren't. But it's easy to change that, so if you wanna send me new graphics for monarches, fascists etc., they'll be there on the next update! Only restriction is that they are .PNG with transparency and the exact same dimensions (see the other PNGs for reference). Then name them, like Fasc1.png, Fasc2.png, etc.
    I'll assemble a few icons and send them to you.

Again, great work on this one, looking forward to the next iteration

Edit: A suggestion. Would it be possible to have the generator create unreleased countries somewhere down the road? Maybe that could help in balancing out the huge nations it currently makes.

Another addendum: I added Chinese names, to be found here:
    http://www.hanmun.de/chinese_names.rar

They are based on the actual initials and finals of the sounds in chinese language, though sometimes, they produce - uh - "fun" results.

I am thinking about making a second one for composite chinese names, like Luoyang, as the current ones only produce one-syllable names.
    Last edited by monsterfurby; 08-07-2011 at 14:34.
    to say why!"

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: Rome
    Europa Universalis IV

Argh! While modding in my Dutch names, the generator has a tendency to skip the .names1 file and produce countries with names without capitalisation.. Any way to prevent this?
    1 Clerk

Quote Originally Posted by Headshotcatcher View Post
    Argh! While modding in my Dutch names, the generator has a tendency to skip the .names1 file and produce countries with names without capitalisation.. Any way to prevent this?
    Hm, that's odd. m68135 probably knows much better what's going on, but from my experience, the generator always uses the .names1 file. Maybe you misspelt the file name or entered some sort of special character the generator has trouble parsing (though from what I've seen, I would highly doubt that that could happen)?

Another note: Toying around with the specs in the Generator.py, I noticed that raising the maximum amount of countries to generate causes flag generation to fail and the generator to name most countries only by their tag. At least I suppose that that's the reason.
    to say why!"

Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by monsterfurby View Post
    Hm, that's odd. m68135 probably knows much better what's going on, but from my experience, the generator always uses the .names1 file. Maybe you misspelt the file name or entered some sort of special character the generator has trouble parsing (though from what I've seen, I would highly doubt that that could happen)?

Another note: Toying around with the specs in the Generator.py, I noticed that raising the maximum amount of countries to generate causes flag generation to fail and the generator to name most countries only by their tag. At least I suppose that that's the reason.
    It /should/ always use the .names1 file, there is a bit in the generator.py file that states that the .names2 file should only be used 2/3rd of the time, but that seems to work properly (and the number of times .names1 doesn't get used is way over 2/3rd of the time :P Some come out all right though, so I really don't know what's going on..
    1 Clerk

It /should/ always use the .names1 file, there is a bit in the generator.py file that states that the .names2 file should only be used 2/3rd of the time, but that seems to work properly (and the number of times .names1 doesn't get used is way over 2/3rd of the time :P Some come out all right though, so I really don't know what's going on..
    Does that happen with the other language files as well?
    to say why!"

Europa Universalis IV

Does that happen with the other language files as well?
    No, but I found the cause already.. For some reason I had accumulated a lot of empty lines in the .names1 file.. Durr :P
    It's all fine now

Also, does anyone know how to change the colours that will be used for flags and country colours? For now it's just those obscure shades of purple, green and blue
    1 Clerk

No, but I found the cause already.. For some reason I had accumulated a lot of empty lines in the .names1 file.. Durr :P
    It's all fine now

Also, does anyone know how to change the colours that will be used for flags and country colours? For now it's just those obscure shades of purple, green and blue
    I think currently the generator just picks a random number between 0 and 255 for each of the three RGB values. Since the ratio of "obscure shades" to "straight colors" is really, really weighted in favor of obscure shades, most countries get those. You can narrow the range by looking for the places where colors are generated via (random.randint(0,255) and changing the numbers to your desired highest/lowest value, but to keep colors in a more moderate spectrum, it would take a different calculation altogether (i.e. prechosen colors or a cap on the differences between the three main colors).

Edit: On a second look, I think those are just for cultures and such.. the country/general color algorith is in the utils file, if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by monsterfurby; 09-07-2011 at 00:00.
    to say why!"

Ok, I'm back from a VERY busy week

Quote Originally Posted by oddboyout View Post
    [*]I'm sure you can tell the colors, on both the flags and the map, can be a bit garish. Though I do really appreciate them matching. It does help since they're all so unfamiliar.[/list]
    Colors for each nation are almost purely random, I do however restrict its HSV Value and saturaion to some value, I think that was it. I'll revise the colors code another time.

Umm, when I ran it I got no new flags and the country names were their tags, how do I fix this?

EDIT: Never mind, fixed it by adding 'run as administrator' to the python executable compatibility thing

Also, OP, do you want me to make a names file for Dutch?
    Sure!

Edit: A suggestion. Would it be possible to have the generator create unreleased countries somewhere down the road? Maybe that could help in balancing out the huge nations it currently makes.
    That's a great idea! It can be done yes.

Added Chinese to the next version, thanks.

More or less, the current version is interrupted if there are more provinces to give than are available (so flags, pops and maybe something else arent generated). It'll be fixed.

It's on GenUtils.py, function INK().

Update: Wrote some comments on that function, you can see from the commented code that I messed with that a lot. :P

Code:
    def Ink():
    	#pick a random color
    	hue = random.uniform(0.0, 1.0)
    	#hue = random.choice(palette)

#define that color's saturation
    	#saturation = random.uniform(0.5, 1.0)
    	saturation = random.uniform(0.8, 1.0)

#define that color's value (aka lightness)
    	#value = random.uniform(0.5,1.0)
    	value = random.uniform(0.4,1.0)
    	#if color isn't too saturated, reduce Value... never gonna reach here anyway
    	if saturation < 0.7:
    		value = random.uniform(0.5,0.6)
    		#if random.randint(0,100)<10:
    		#	value = random.uniform(0.0,0.3)

#convert HSV to RGB
    	rgb = colorsys.hsv_to_rgb(hue, saturation, value)
    	#convert float to byte
    	rgb = (int(rgb[0]*255), int(rgb[1]*255), int(rgb[2]*255))

#print hue*360, saturation*100, value*100, rgb
    	return rgb
    So, in human language...
    Color = any
    Saturation = 80-100%
    Lightness = 40-100%

PS: I'll get back to coding next week, been very busy recently.
    Last edited by m68135; 09-07-2011 at 06:11.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast