+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria II Random World Generator!

Victoria II Random World Generator (now compatible with AHD and HoD)

Here it is, a Victoria II Random World Generator!

Version 2.0 (2013-07-20)

Now compatible with A House Divided and Hearts of Darkness!

No longer replaces original files! Each generated world is a separate mod (activate them on the Victoria II Launcher).

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

WHAT IS IT?
    This is a Python script that will generate random factions, with random names, flags, starting positions and territories, random cores and unification wars, random cultures and religions, and much more!

But it's not totally random - cultures are created in the same area, there are superpowers, Chinas and other secondary powers, chunks of non-colonized lands (with low life rating), cores are given to factions who have their kin under another faction's dominion, etc. But, if you like, you can change (or remove) all superpowers, make every territory colonized, and so on, by editing a .ini file.

INSTALLING AND RUNNING:
    1 - Download and install Python 2.7. IMPORTANT: Get the 32-bit version, not the 64-bit. Here's a direct link: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2.msi
    2 - Download and install Python PIL for Python 2.7. Here's a direct link: http://effbot.org/downloads/PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.7.exe.
    3 - Restart your computer
    4 - Extract the files to your copied Victoria 2 folder (keeping folder structure).
    5 - Go to your Victoria 2/Generator folder and double-click Generator.py to run the generator. If you use Window's UAC, right-click the file and Run as Administrator.
    6 - Wait for the script to do its job.
    7 - Open the Victoria II Launcher, check the generated mod name, and enjoy!

If step (5) fails, try disabling anti-virus software and similar.

UPGRADING:
    Delete your Generator/ folder before upgrading.

CUSTOMIZING:
    Don't like factions that start with 250 provinces? Want each faction getting millions of people per province? Want to make all factions equally powerful and large? You can customize many variables by opening Generator/Settings.ini with notepad. Note that you'll need to run the generator again for changes to take effect.

MULTIPLAYER:
    Multiplayer is fully supported. Just make sure everyone have the exact same Victoria 2 and the same Settings.ini file. In Settings.ini, change the value "Seed" to some number other than zero. Then, run the Generator on all machines, and the generated world will be exactly the same.

KNOWN ISSUES:
    - Due to province changes on AHD and/or HOD, expect to see some nations oddly splitten (e.g. some provinces at Africa and some by the Caspian).
    - You may start with more ships than you can due to port limit; also more colonies than colony limit. This is not grave and I don't intend to fix this.
    - I don't do much data validation, so be careful when customizing the variables. For instance, don't try to make that all regions start non-colonized, the script or game may crash or stop responding.
    - If Windows UAC is on, remember to right-click Generator.py and choose Run as Administrator.

PLAYING WITH OTHER MODS:
    - Activate both the generated world's mod and the mod(s) you want. I don't know how the engine sorts out conflicts, so this may or may not work.
    - I didn't test this, but if if the above doesn't works, try this: copy the desired mod's files to "Generator/standard", without replacing files. Then run the Generator. Check only the generated world's mod.
    - Another way would be installing the other mod by replacing its files on a clean Vic2 installation (like the old days), without using the mod folder. Then install the Generator there and run it.

COMPATIBILITY:
    - Untested without AHD and HoD. If you have neither expansion, and the recent version didn't work, try the old version.

REQUIREMENTS:
    Victoria II with both expansions and latest patch.

FAQ:

Q: Game crashes on startup.
    A: Go to ...\Victoria2\map and delete the cache folder.

Q: Can I create a new culture group?
    A: Yes, I wrote a mini-tutorial about that on Generator/AboutNames.txt. Share with us your work!

Q: Can I remove a culture group?
    A: Yes, just delete its files from Generator/CultureGroups/.

Q: Doesn't works!
    A: Possible solutions:
    - Right-click Generator.py and click Run as Administrator.
    - Disable anti-virus and similar.
    - Disable Windows UAC.
    - Re-read the sections Installation and Known Issues. Make sure Python and PIL are installed.

Q: How do I check that Python is installed correctly?
    A: Start->Run, type:
    Code:
    python
    and press Enter. A console window should appear. If it didn't, Python is not correctly installed.
    If it did open, type the following (notice the capital 'i' in "Image"):
    Code:
    import Image
    and press Enter. If nothing happens, then it is installed correctly. If it says "ImportError: No module named Image", then PIL is not installed correctly.
    That's it. What do you do if either is not installed? First, restart your computer. If that doesn't works, re-download and re-install both, with antivirus software disabled and running as administrator. If Python is still not installed, contact your computer administrator.

SAMPLE WORLDS
    Using default settings:
    World 1
    World 2
    World 3

"Random Fantasy Divided": many 1-province nations, many lands uncolonized. Inspired by the mod "A Fantasy Divided".
    Custom Settings.ini and "Everyone Can Colonize" mod: Download
    Replace this Settings.ini in the Generator folder, and extract the other two files to /mod.
    Sample worlds:
    Random Fantasy Divided 1
    Random Fantasy Divided 2
    Random Fantasy Divided 3

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    - My brother(Velho e Bom Joe), for creating the "random" religion icons, some names dictionaries and uniforms textures;
    - Taylor, for providing a provinces adjacency parser;
    - fivex, for finding the bug on AHD version.
    - Additional work by: monsterfurby, Headshotcatcher.
    - Everyone in the thread for their support and feedback.

ENJOY!
    - Jefferson Pinheiro
    Last edited by m68135; 22-05-2014 at 20:33.

World pic 1:

World pic 2:

World pic 3:

World pic 4:

World pic 5:

World pic 6:

World pic 7 (colonize Russia!):

Cores and unification:

New uniforms:

Random Generals names:

Non-colonized land chunks:

Random flags:

Population, random cultures and religions:

Diplomacy:

Random regions (that's on Region map mode):

Releasable nations:

Random political parties:

Generated worlds as mods on Launcher:
    Last edited by m68135; 21-07-2013 at 01:20.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    This has jumped to the top of my To-Do list. I can't wait to check this out.

2009 Stanley Cup Champs Chicken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

This does look absolutely fantastic! I haven't loaded up V2 in a few weeks now, but I'm going to give this a shot when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon! Good Work!!
    “I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.” - Jon Stewart
    ---
    #21: You can silence me but there will be others. Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
    Dr. Killinger: It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
    #21: I did? Cool.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWar of the Vikings

WOW, this is goodly made.

Nice, I think we needed a mod like this, I don't know about everyone else but I tend to try and make my nation as historical accurate as possible and this mod will make that hard since its random, my number 1. mod

Quick question: I can't seem to get this to work. Is this because my computer is on a 64-bit operating system and this requires a 32-bit? The only problem I am having is that my computer won't seem to recognize that Python 2.7 exists even. I try to open generator.py with python for the 2.7 folder and it wont even show up in the list of programs I can open it with.

No, it works on 64 bit Windows (mine is). Try right-clicking Generator.py, choose Open With..., Select From a List, Browse, and navigate to C:\Python27\python.exe.

Does this randomly generate flags as well? I feel that would be cool.
    Darkest Hour Helpful Links:
    How to modify the Darkest Hour Technology Tree:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-the-tech-tree.
    A collection of Blank Graphic files for Darkest Hour.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?645555-Resource-Blank-Gfx-files

EU4 Mod Links:
    Cheat Mod:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...2#post17580322

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWar of the Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Supeerme View Post
    Does this randomly generate flags as well? I feel that would be cool.
    It dose.

I edited the program, expected a whole boatload of fun in lieu of the User Created Nations Mod.

I started it up, it hit "loading Database II", then announced that it had failed to open something regarding New South Wales, had a runtime error, and died.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I edited the program, expected a whole boatload of fun in lieu of the User Created Nations Mod.

I started it up, it hit "loading Database II", then announced that it had failed to open something regarding New South Wales, had a runtime error, and died.
    That's weird. The script deletes all original countries, so there shouldn't be a New South Wales.

Did you see the screen saying "Done! Press enter to continue"? If not, something went wrong. Run the script from the command prompt (open command prompt, navigate to Vic2/Generator, type: python Generator.py), if there's something wrong, it will say there.

Edit: if it says "Python: command not recognized", just type "Generator.py" instead of "python Generator.py". If that still fails, check that C:\Python27 is on Window's PATH.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by m68135 View Post
    That's weird. The script deletes all original countries, so there shouldn't be a New South Wales.

Did you see the screen saying "Done! Press enter to continue"? If not, something went wrong. Run the script from the command prompt (open command prompt, navigate to Vic2/Generator, type: python Generator.py), if there's something wrong, it will say there.

Edit: if it says "Python: command not recognized", just type "Generator.py" instead of "python Generator.py". If that still fails, check that C:\Python27 is on Window's PATH.
    New south wales is not a Vanilla Country, It is a Region or Province ( I forget which ) in Australia.

Regions and provinces are also renamed by the script.

But if he's not seeing the Done, Press Enter to Continue, he did something wrong on customizing the variables - maybe trying to give more provinces than are available, that would crash the script and leave some references invalid. Only running from a command prompt to see what's wrong.

I ran the generator, it seemed to be working fine generating nations, then closed after a couple lines popped up. I assumed this meant the generation was a success (as was the case for the HOI2 version). I ran Vic2 and it crashed in the aforementioned manner.

I will screw around with the variables, since it is possible my modifications had something to do with this crash (I added slightly more Chinas and superpowers).

EDIT: Did some editing. Program seems to be working. Will edit again if I encounter more probs
    Last edited by Snoopy; 04-07-2011 at 05:28.

Yeah, probably ran out of provinces to distribute Next version will show a warning when that happens.

Reduce the number of provinces given to superpowers and Chinas, and try again.

We need like some kind of guide on how to DL the Python stuff, I don't understand the only 32-bit thing I see is for mac and everything says windows but its like 4 things and I have no Idea what to download help me D:

Never mind. The generator itself worked fine, I hit enter, started a new game, and same error regarding countries/new south wales.txt

Also something regarding line 425 in something.cpp

I have no Idea if this would be hard (prob) but could their be a way we could rename Proviences IG and even our Country :\ I hate to play as Balah the entire game.

P.S. I know you can do this via menu I just think this would be cool and we could set our own goals on how a nation could be united, I dunno or even find a way to randomize this (which I think would be impossible but I dunno)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchmon View Post
    We need like some kind of guide on how to DL the Python stuff, I don't understand the only 32-bit thing I see is for mac and everything says windows but its like 4 things and I have no Idea what to download help me D:
    Here's a direct link for the right version of Python and for the right version of PIL.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast