Here it is, a Victoria II Random World Generator!
Version 2.0 (2013-07-20)
Now compatible with A House Divided and Hearts of Darkness!
No longer replaces original files! Each generated world is a separate mod (activate them on the Victoria II Launcher).
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
WHAT IS IT?
This is a Python script that will generate random factions, with random names, flags, starting positions and territories, random cores and unification wars, random cultures and religions, and much more!
But it's not totally random - cultures are created in the same area, there are superpowers, Chinas and other secondary powers, chunks of non-colonized lands (with low life rating), cores are given to factions who have their kin under another faction's dominion, etc. But, if you like, you can change (or remove) all superpowers, make every territory colonized, and so on, by editing a .ini file.
INSTALLING AND RUNNING:
1 - Download and install Python 2.7. IMPORTANT: Get the 32-bit version, not the 64-bit. Here's a direct link: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2.msi
2 - Download and install Python PIL for Python 2.7. Here's a direct link: http://effbot.org/downloads/PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.7.exe.
3 - Restart your computer
4 - Extract the files to your copied Victoria 2 folder (keeping folder structure).
5 - Go to your Victoria 2/Generator folder and double-click Generator.py to run the generator. If you use Window's UAC, right-click the file and Run as Administrator.
6 - Wait for the script to do its job.
7 - Open the Victoria II Launcher, check the generated mod name, and enjoy!
If step (5) fails, try disabling anti-virus software and similar.
Delete your Generator/ folder before upgrading.
Don't like factions that start with 250 provinces? Want each faction getting millions of people per province? Want to make all factions equally powerful and large? You can customize many variables by opening Generator/Settings.ini with notepad. Note that you'll need to run the generator again for changes to take effect.
Multiplayer is fully supported. Just make sure everyone have the exact same Victoria 2 and the same Settings.ini file. In Settings.ini, change the value "Seed" to some number other than zero. Then, run the Generator on all machines, and the generated world will be exactly the same.
- Due to province changes on AHD and/or HOD, expect to see some nations oddly splitten (e.g. some provinces at Africa and some by the Caspian).
- You may start with more ships than you can due to port limit; also more colonies than colony limit. This is not grave and I don't intend to fix this.
- I don't do much data validation, so be careful when customizing the variables. For instance, don't try to make that all regions start non-colonized, the script or game may crash or stop responding.
- If Windows UAC is on, remember to right-click Generator.py and choose Run as Administrator.
PLAYING WITH OTHER MODS:
- Activate both the generated world's mod and the mod(s) you want. I don't know how the engine sorts out conflicts, so this may or may not work.
- I didn't test this, but if if the above doesn't works, try this: copy the desired mod's files to "Generator/standard", without replacing files. Then run the Generator. Check only the generated world's mod.
- Another way would be installing the other mod by replacing its files on a clean Vic2 installation (like the old days), without using the mod folder. Then install the Generator there and run it.
- Untested without AHD and HoD. If you have neither expansion, and the recent version didn't work, try the old version.
Victoria II with both expansions and latest patch.
Q: Game crashes on startup.
A: Go to ...\Victoria2\map and delete the cache folder.
Q: Can I create a new culture group?
A: Yes, I wrote a mini-tutorial about that on Generator/AboutNames.txt. Share with us your work!
Q: Can I remove a culture group?
A: Yes, just delete its files from Generator/CultureGroups/.
Q: Doesn't works!
A: Possible solutions:
- Right-click Generator.py and click Run as Administrator.
- Disable anti-virus and similar.
- Disable Windows UAC.
- Re-read the sections Installation and Known Issues. Make sure Python and PIL are installed.
Q: How do I check that Python is installed correctly?
A: Start->Run, type:
and press Enter. A console window should appear. If it didn't, Python is not correctly installed.Code:python
If it did open, type the following (notice the capital 'i' in "Image"):
and press Enter. If nothing happens, then it is installed correctly. If it says "ImportError: No module named Image", then PIL is not installed correctly.Code:import Image
That's it. What do you do if either is not installed? First, restart your computer. If that doesn't works, re-download and re-install both, with antivirus software disabled and running as administrator. If Python is still not installed, contact your computer administrator.
Using default settings:
"Random Fantasy Divided": many 1-province nations, many lands uncolonized. Inspired by the mod "A Fantasy Divided".
Custom Settings.ini and "Everyone Can Colonize" mod: Download
Replace this Settings.ini in the Generator folder, and extract the other two files to /mod.
Random Fantasy Divided 1
Random Fantasy Divided 2
Random Fantasy Divided 3
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- My brother(Velho e Bom Joe), for creating the "random" religion icons, some names dictionaries and uniforms textures;
- Taylor, for providing a provinces adjacency parser;
- fivex, for finding the bug on AHD version.
- Additional work by: monsterfurby, Headshotcatcher.
- Everyone in the thread for their support and feedback.
- Jefferson Pinheiro