• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was wondering if next game there will be room for new players...there probably won't be.

Also, it should be clear Russia and Germany are inevitable enemies. It's like America and Mexico (before Guadalupe-Hidalgo, of course) after the former embraced Manifest Destiny. :p

I was wondering if next game there will be room for new players...there probably won't be.

Also, it should be clear Russia and Germany are inevitable enemies. It's like America and Mexico (before Guadalupe-Hidalgo, of course) after the former embraced Manifest Destiny. :p

Hi Devotist,

the current game is still running, depending on how the remaining players feel. The way this game is run more than one player can represent a country. So yes you can join any of the remaining countries except France, as they are finished, and probably Russia since they have only one SC yet and may not last beyond the next fall.

Eh, the game seems to be finished or near there, so I'll probably wait until the next one. Russia and Italy are already yearning for the next one, but England and Germany are still going strong. The Austro-Turkish alliance will, I assume, win eventually, since they now control over half the board, and a stalemate line is rather unlikely.

Although, this way of multiple players per country is interesting and convenient.

Eh, the game seems to be finished or near there, so I'll probably wait until the next one. Russia and Italy are already yearning for the next one, but England and Germany are still going strong. The Austro-Turkish alliance will, I assume, win eventually, since they now control over half the board, and a stalemate line is rather unlikely.
Depends on whether Austria or Turkey want to go for an outright win or if they are content (and trust each other enough) to attack Western Europe together.
Although, this way of multiple players per country is interesting and convenient.
You can say that. You could also say that it's absolutely vital for this game format. I think of all the remaining powers only Italy and maybe Russia has been guided by the same player from the start. Without multiple diplmats per country and later replacements this game would have stalled a long time ago due to No moves recieved and Civil Disorder.
I think we only had one or two Civil disorders in this game and for a forum/pm game I think that's relatively good.

I agree with your statement. However, I think they've already shown their tremendous amount of trust for each other, at least relative to their trust for other nations. Austria-Turkey is usually limited to a few years into the game. On the other hand, it seems like the downfall of Russia took a bit longer, and Austria-Turkey usually falls apart once Russia and Italy are significantly weakened. Turkey will be the one with the larger incentive to stab in any case, since it will take a long time to expand beyond the Mediterranean, but it will be a brutal and exhaustive stab. They may decide to just continue as planned, or batter each other while the rest of the map reorganizes. We shall see.

On multiple players per country: Absolutely, that's why it's so convenient. Far better than watching as countries fall apart because their player was no longer able to play, or forfeit, as I've seen before. Of course, there's the problem of cohesion and contradicting thought from the multiple players, but that makes it more realistic, and seems to have been managed well.

I haven't received disband or build orders from half of the countries!

What happened?

On multiple players per country: Absolutely, that's why it's so convenient. Far better than watching as countries fall apart because their player was no longer able to play, or forfeit, as I've seen before. Of course, there's the problem of cohesion and contradicting thought from the multiple players, but that makes it more realistic, and seems to have been managed well.

Realism. :)

Look at what happened to Germany when Bismarck was replaced...

Austria-Turkey will only survive as an alliance if one of them (probably Turkey) allows the other (probably Austria) to win, accepting defeat for themselves. The single country to get to 18 first wins, meaning there are no two player draws. The options for them are either a stab, or bringing in a third alliance member for a draw.

I haven't received disband or build orders from half of the countries!

What happened?

Fleets all around for us. I did post that, but probably didn't make it clear enough.

I agree with your statement. However, I think they've already shown their tremendous amount of trust for each other, at least relative to their trust for other nations. Austria-Turkey is usually limited to a few years into the game. On the other hand, it seems like the downfall of Russia took a bit longer, and Austria-Turkey usually falls apart once Russia and Italy are significantly weakened. Turkey will be the one with the larger incentive to stab in any case, since it will take a long time to expand beyond the Mediterranean, but it will be a brutal and exhaustive stab. They may decide to just continue as planned, or batter each other while the rest of the map reorganizes. We shall see.

Aye, Russia suffered from such "contradicting thought", but I banished my underlings to the furthest reaches of Siberia for their insolence!

Also, if Turkey and Austria wish to share a win, Russia would be happy to act as the third party, with a "Vote Win - Turkey and Austria".

Also, if Turkey and Austria wish to share a win, Russia would be happy to act as the third party, with a "Vote Win - Turkey and Austria".

How many votes are there for an A-H / Turkey tie?

What about a triple Germany, A-H and Ottoman tie (and a nice Versailles treaty for France, UK, Italy and Russia) with a bonus cookie to the Hapsburg for having more SC's?

If we play this out, I suspect Austria will be able to win. It will just take them bloody long. If only we could have two diplomacy games open at the same time...

Very amusing.

Only one nation can win. The alternative is a draw, which unless you very carefully co-ordinate and have full trust cannot be accomplished by two sides - it takes three to do so without counting on your ally to not snatch victory at the last turn. If you want in on an Austria-Turkey alliance, you can only do it if all three of you accept reduced points. I believe the accepted formula was (your total number of SCs)/34. Either Austria and Turkey accept your approach, or everyone gangs up on Austria.

Even if I was a member of the coalition and was going to get something out of this, I wouldn't give a damn about points. I just want to start a new game so that I can try this again without making so many "roleplaying" mistakes.

I think the scoring is even for all members of a winning tie. So says the rules at the top of the thread.

I think the scoring is even for all members of a winning tie. So says the rules at the top of the thread.

There are different scoring methods, it was discussed in the other thread. joeb was trying to find a method that would better reflect the relative strengths of members of a tie. He proposed one like motorsport scoring where points depend on your placing, while I proposed just splitting them based on your number of SCs. It was never really decided fully.

That would make a good poll. That, or the League of Nations will decide. Germany gets extra votes due to beer.

Of those you mention, I favor motorsport scoring more than SC count. Perhaps I have been playing too much Victoria, dunno...

Motorsport scoring makes for much nicer fractions than 34ths, but it does have the downside of a lack of flexibility when it comes to recognising two countries that are almost even, or two countries with hugely different strength.

To be honest, I don't really mind what number I'm given at the end of the game though. I don't really keep track of my records in forum games, so it wouldn't particularly bother me if we all called a draw now as compared to after eliminating Russia, or after Italy and Russia, or after etc. Just because I get a higher share of the points, doesn't mean I find one draw better or worse than another.