• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So what age is it?

Well, the name "Dark Ages" come from the belief that very little cultural achievements came out of this time. The name comes from the Renaissance, you know, weird Italians.
the "Dark Ages" would be western Europe from the fall of Rome until the Renaissance, according to some, but the end date varies between 1350->1500, depending on region and person. The perceived cultural "nothingness" is compared to the classical antiquity. Remember, in the Renaissance, Aristotle was their hero. The Greek and Roman literature was seen as the "base" of culture, and when the "smart" people of the Renaissance looked back, it was boring and a "dark age".
Just early, middle, and high Medieval is a more correct term.

To learn more, just read the freaking Wikipedia page. The term "Dark Ages" is important,because it sets the whole tone of a discussion when it comes to studying the medieval era of Europe.

Last edited:
It's 1905...I think Whiggish history should still be in vogue, and the Dark Ages still seen as cloaked in shadow compared to the gleaming progress of Victoria's reign or the new Modernist movement.

Well, the name "Dark Ages" come from the belief that very little cultural achievements came out of this time. The name comes from the Renaissance, you know, weird Italians.
the "Dark Ages" would be western Europe from the fall of Rome until the Renaissance, according to some, but the end date varies between 1350->1500, depending on region and person. The perceived cultural "nothingness" is compared to the classical antiquity. Remember, in the Renaissance, Aristotle was their hero. The Greek and Roman literature was seen as the "base" of culture, and when the "smart" people of the Renaissance looked back, it was boring and a "dark age".
Just early, middle, and high Medieval is a more correct term.

To learn more, just read the freaking Wikipedia page. The term "Dark Ages" is important,because it sets the whole tone of a discussion when it comes to studying the medieval era of Europe.

The Roman Republic.

Taking his morning constitutional in the war-emptied boulevards of Paris, M. de Montluzin-Sauzay, a senior official in the foreign ministry, offered this comment to our reporter:

"Naturally, I am pleased to hear that the Italian people have overthrown the vestigial monarchy of the Medievalist House of Sardinia. The progress of liberty and the rights of man among our neighbors is a moment for quiet joyful reflection, even in these trying times.

I hope that the Italian people, having swept away the dust of their dark past, will recognize the fundamental and natural right of all peoples to determine their own fate and to form their own government. A co-equal union between the French and Italian peoples is a lofty project, but must be pursued with full respect for the dignity of France and the French citizenry and a deliberate speed that recognizes the deep cultural, linguistic, and historical divides between our nations.

I look with quiet anticipation then for the announcement from Rome, ending this barbaric war against natural right and the restoring Marseilles and Gascony to her people."​

Last edited:
If we are talking pure historically, no. That is not correct :)
The whole concept of "the Dark Ages" is incorrect.
//3rd y History student.

So, when did "we"(that is humanity) forget about concrete? Aquaduct building? paved roads?

It's obviously not as black and white (dark and light? :) ) as that, but a LOT of knowledge was lost in/during/starting the dark ages/early medieval period.

So, when did "we"(that is humanity) forget about concrete? Aquaduct building? paved roads?

It's obviously not as black and white (dark and light? :) ) as that, but a LOT of knowledge was lost in/during/starting the dark ages/early medieval period.

i BLAME SWEDES.

As a modern comparison, passenger trains in the U.S. today run considerably slower than they did 100 years ago.

Part of this is due to changing prioritization of passengers and freight, and part is due to lost technological and engineering know-how.

I'm sure we could recover it if we chose, but nonetheless, knowledge can get lost even without the age being particularly dark.

Sidebar: I seem to recall someone saying it was called the "Dark Ages" because our records from it were really poor.

As a modern comparison, passenger trains in the U.S. today run considerably slower than they did 100 years ago.

Part of this is due to changing prioritization of passengers and freight, and part is due to lost technological and engineering know-how.

I'm sure we could recover it if we chose, but nonetheless, knowledge can get lost even without the age being particularly dark.

Sidebar: I seem to recall someone saying it was called the "Dark Ages" because our records from it were really poor.

Yeah, thats what I heard.

Are you serious? [it's definitely not true in the Netherlands; times have on average about halved sine 1900]

In the Czech Republic, there is no difference.

Seriously, I went to a train museum in Vienna once and they had the locomotives and wagons we use today labeled as '1970' there.

I would like to take this time to say, shame on you. Shame on every single one of you. I can't believe you guys would allow a world war to break out like this. Why can't anyone ever let peace prevail in a game titled "Diplomacy"? You might as well call this game "War and More War". You all make me sick.

Diplomacy is merely the continuation of war by other means.

I would also like to remind you that with the marginal exceptions of North Africa and Tunis, and depending on your definition, the exception of Turkey, this has been a strictly European war.

Diplomacy is merely the continuation of war by other means.

I would also like to remind you that with the marginal exceptions of North Africa and Tunis, and depending on your definition, the exception of Turkey, this has been a strictly European war.

Besides, where's the diploannex button? How are we supposed to conquer each other without war if there's no diplomatic way to do it?

I'll be pushing the deadline back again, to 0200 GMT

This is the last time I'm pushing the deadline back. If countries continue to fail to send me orders I will begin putting them into civil disorder.

I'll be pushing the deadline back again, to 0200 GMT

This is the last time I'm pushing the deadline back. If countries continue to fail to send me orders I will begin putting them into civil disorder.

disappointing :(

how many countries are we talking about?

In any case, since I know I've sent in orders, and considering it's past midnight... I'm going to sign off. Anyone looking for more negotiations with Austria will have to wait, or hope Athalcor is online.