• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I require an advisor. Who will do it?

In the meantime, Britannia rules the waves, Britannia rules the skies. Britannia rules all. Who dares oppose, dies.

Anyway, if some country wants to hire me as an advisor, and put up with me going on holidays on possibly critical moments, I'm game.

Meanwhile, a free tip. Don't trust anyone. Your ally today will put you a knife in the back tomorrow, if he can gain anything from it.

You seem like an honest fellow who would never ever ever deceive anyone. How about helping me lead France to victory?

I require an advisor. Who will do it?

I would be happy to :)

edit:
In - I'll join Euro in Brittany

A question:

There is a lot of talk about "cutting support" in the rules that I don't entirely get. I mean I think I understand the basics, where dislodging a unit that gives support will cut whatever support it's giving; That bit is fine. Or situations where the orders are invalid, causing units to be unable to give that support. I get that, too.
But I don't get some of the others, mostly mentioning situations where support is -NOT- cut.

A unit that moves cannot give support, I presume.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly interested in the minutae of the actual rules right now, I've got enough on my plate. Nor am I particularly keen on getting tied to one faction and having to work on a unified strategy trying to get somewhere, I'd just put too much heart and soul into it knowing me. However, having skimmed all the rules the actual diplomacy intrigues me. I think I'd prefer to remain unaligned, auto-lose, but participate as some sort of world press agency who diplomats can release statements or rumours through, without having to go public. Or even by misattributing the source, or pretending to misattribute it when it really is them. Whatever they think is best - although they should probably be careful to specify what they want when dealing with a journalist. I'll do what you want to the letter, but if you're not careful in specifying what you want... ;)

If people would like to have that sort of person around?

You seem like an honest fellow who would never ever ever deceive anyone. How about helping me lead France to victory?

I have this "thing" with the damn cheese eating surrender m.... I mean honorable French :D

Oh well, let's turn the "honorable French" into the Big Blue Blob, then. It will be a worthy challenge.

There is a lot of talk about "cutting support" in the rules that I don't entirely get. I mean I think I understand the basics, where dislodging a unit that gives support will cut whatever support it's giving; That bit is fine. Or situations where the orders are invalid, causing units to be unable to give that support. I get that, too. But I don't get some of the others, mostly mentioning situations where support is -NOT- cut.

A unit that moves cannot give support, I presume.

It is an intuitive system, it simply takes some words to fully explain. A unit's support is cut by any move made against it, whether or not that move is successful, because the unit was required to hold to defend itself against that movement. HOWEVER, if the unit making the support is moved against by the unit it is supporting against, support will not be cut. Think of it as those two units are fighting anyway, so attacking them with the one unit they're fighting against anyway isn't exactly going to change their plans.

The support will be cut if the unit making the support is dislodged, no matter how it got dislodged.

I think that about sums it up.

Last edited:
A unit's support is cut by any move made against it, whether or not that move is successful.

Right. -that- is the bit I was missing. Thanks. That does explain the exceptions.

I have this "thing" with the damn cheese eating surrender m.... I mean honorable French :D

Oh well, let's turn the "honorable French" into the Big Blue Blob, then. It will be a worthy challenge.

Bah. The french are weak. And they eat these these wrong cheeses. I really wouldn't bother with them, if I were you. Especially not if they are considering standing against the might of Britannia!
Of course, if the French aren't going to do anything of the sort - carry on. :D

Hello Dear Friends, Italy is a friend to all and through peace and diplomacy we i am sure can find common ground. Italy has open ears and merely wants to strenthen its defences, though aggressors will be slaughtered mercilessly. If we do not meet on the diplomacy table, we shall face on the battlefield.

Kind regards,

General Adamissimo

102px-Wappen_%C3%96sterreichische_L%C3%A4nder_1915_(Klein).png

We, Franz Joseph I., Emperor of Austria-Hungary, welcome all efforts to establish a stable peace, but will counter all attempts to destroy the fundaments of peace, culture and civilization in Europe.

That will depend on your diplomacy... and saying the French eat the wrong cheeses isn't a good start... :)

If you hadn't noticed, I hail from the great merchant empire of Holland. They make the best cheese in the world!
Besides, I am of the school of thought that great minds can look past their differences when it comes to flavours of cheese, my friend.

Hello Dear Friends, Italy is a friend to all and through peace and diplomacy we i am sure can find common ground. Italy has open ears and merely wants to strenthen its defences, though aggressors will be slaughtered mercilessly. If we do not meet on the diplomacy table, we shall face on the battlefield.

Brittannia takes note of the friendly stance of Italy, and notes that Brittania has no interest in any Italian territories whatsoever. Unlike some ..

There will be a stable peace. When France rules Europe. This time, we will not fall short of our goal.

Aha! The french cheese mongers reveal their true nature!