• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). Its a free program that can be found by googling "GIMP", should be the first result or so.

Ugh. I can't figure out how to move the units...or color in the lines. This could take a bit to get used too...

Ugh. I can't figure out how to move the units...or color in the lines. This could take a bit to get used too...
GIMP (and Photoshop) are based on working with several layers for the picture, which can then be combined and exported as a jpg or png.
In this file there are 5 layers, some of which are mostly transparent or are hidden behind others.
To move units you need to select the 'units' layer and then select (with the rectangular selection tool), cut and paste a unit icon to where you want it. If you need new units you can copy and paste them from the 'units' or the hidden 'reserves' layer.
In order to color a province, you need to select the hidden 'masks' layer, and select a province with the "select by color" tool (with tolerance set to zero). Then you go to the 'occupations' layer and fill the selection and thus the province with the color of the occupying country. This is best done with the brush tool set to a large size.

This may sound very complicated, but it's all just a few clicks and once you've done it once, it should save a lot of time later.

Edit: You can toggle visibility for each layer by clicking on the eye symbol in the layer toolbox, where you can also set the active layer.

GIMP (and Photoshop) are based on working with several layers for the picture, which can then be combined and exported as a jpg or png.
In this file there are 5 layers, some of which are mostly transparent or are hidden behind others.
To move units you need to select the 'units' layer and then select (with the rectangular selection tool), cut and paste a unit icon to where you want it. If you need new units you can copy and paste them from the 'units' or the hidden 'reserves' layer.
In order to color a province, you need to select the hidden 'masks' layer, and select a province with the "select by color" tool (with tolerance set to zero). Then you go to the 'occupations' layer and fill the selection and thus the province with the color of the occupying country. This is best done with the brush tool set to a large size.

This may sound very complicated, but it's all just a few clicks and once you've done it once, it should save a lot of time later.

Edit: You can toggle visibility for each layer by clicking on the eye symbol in the layer toolbox, where you can also set the active layer.

Ok, figured out the occupations thing. Tomorrow I'll work on the units thing.

I WILL figure this out...

:D

Figured out how to move units...and now I can't change territory colors. Urgh. Stupid brain.

Edit: And now I can't see the layers at all. There are no layers in the layer selection menu.

How the hell is this program user friendly?

You are aware that the colors in the hidden 'masks' layer are NOT the colors of the nations that I want to fill, right? Going to the occupations layer, the program will not let me fill the area with the right color, anyway. If it is possible, your directions do not make sense to me.

Figured out how to move units...and now I can't change territory colors. Urgh. Stupid brain.

Edit: And now I can't see the layers at all. There are no layers in the layer selection menu.

How the hell is this program user friendly?

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong... err... did you save the map as a file that doesn't support layers?

:/

I am sorry Exe, but that is terrible. Btw, have you tried the platform of Joeb's? It has only two layers and after installing a Paint.NET plug-in you no longer need Photoshop. And Paint.NET is just a bit harder than the classic Paint.

I don't really care what you use for the map, but I'll try to give a step-by-step instruction if you want to try with my map a final time:
Make sure you use a clean, unaltered file. Open it in GIMP. Open the Layer Selection Box by pressing Ctrl+L.
Now let's move A Bud to Ser:
Set the 'units' layer to active by clicking on it. In the toolbox choose the Rectangle select tool (or press R). Draw a rectangle around A Bud, it doesn't have to be exact. Cut and paste (Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V). Drag the Army from Budapest to Serbia. Click somewhere else on the map to quit the selection. Done.
Now let's give Serbia to Austria:
First we need to get Austria's color by using the Color Picker Tool. Set the 'map' layer to active, press O to choose the Color Picker Tool and click on a Austrian province. Now disable the visibility of the map layer by clicking on the eye symbol next to it. You should now see the masks layer with every province being colored differently. You still need to set the 'masks' layer to active, as before. From the toolbox choose the Select by Color tool (or press Shift+O). In the tool options set the threshold to zero. (If you can't find it, click on Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Tool Options). Now click somewhere on the Serbian province. You should now have a selection of Serbia.
Set the 'occupations' layer to active and make it visible, choose the brush tool, set scale to 10 in the tool properties and paint in the general are of Serbia. You will hopefully now have coloured in Serbia in Austria's color.
Now let's export it as a jpg:
Choose 'save a copy as', type in diplomacy.jpg as its name, accept the various dialogs, done.

Athalcor's Paint.NET GMing Guide

1. Install Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/)

2. Install Paint.NET Photoshop Plug-in (http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/)

3. Open Paint.NET

4. Open the template map in it.

5. There is the 'Layers' tool window. If you can not find it, press F7, it will appear.

6. In it you can tick/untick the visibility of layers (in the template there are two of them - background and fin)

7. When you untick the 'fin' layer, you can color provinces and/or SCs like in the classic Paint using the Paint Bucket in the 'Tools' tool window. (press F5 to make it appear)

8. While using the Bucket, do not forget to decrease the 'Tolerance' (in the top bar) to zero - otherwise some unwanted effects may appear, like spread of the coloring to neighbouring provinces.

9. To place units on the map, open the JPG images in the Joeb's tool pack as independent files in Paint.NET. Then you can select them and copy/paste them to the map. Tick the 'fin' layer before doing that and let it selected to place the units into the 'fin' layer - then you can make them disappear together with province names and color the map under them freely.

10. When you finish your work, save the file as a JPG and click yes to flatten it.

Any questions?

When I started GMing, I had next to no knowledge of using GIMP. Yet I managed to create a working map from a .jpg image.

Learn -.-

I have too much going on in my other life right now to be able to spend the time to learn in a timely manner.

Don't worry, I'll still try to figure it out, but I think now is not the time to GM the game. I'll let someone else do it while I figure out graphical editing (which I have exactly zero experience with).