• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Joseph I Habsburg (1391 - ) - The Great Duke

Joseph was never meant to be Duke of Austria. He succeeded to the throne in 1422 after Albert V died with no heir, and Joseph, being Albert's closest cousin, became the Duke. Had Albert had a son the history of Austria, and Venice, may have been very different.

Joseph was a brilliant ruler. He was brave and at the same time cunning. He administered his realm wisely and never did anything in haste. Venetian Doge Zustiniani passed away just a few months after Joseph rose to the throne in Austria, and with the new ruler of Venice, Doge Lando, being less than competent, Joseph chose to curtail the extent of Venetian power.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The official cause of war was Joseph's desire, as Holy Roman Emperor, to return Verona to Milan. Austria's might alone may have been enough to bring Venice to its knees, but Joseph first split the Venetian alliance and convinced Savoy to defect to Austria, and then brought France into the war on the Austrian side. There was little Venice could do.

Venetian possessions in Italy were overrun within 2 months. Verona itself held out for longer due to Joseph's desire to reach Venice, but the Venetian fleet kept the Austrian army from being able to reach the city for over a year. Eventually, however, the French fleet arrived, and, after a closely contested battle, forced the Venetian fleet out of the straits. Venice itself fell only two weeks later.

The only good news was the death of Doge Lando during the Austrian assault on Venice. Michele Toscani was elevated to the position of Doge under Austrian supervision. The war continued for another two years in Greece as a large French force made its way down the coast while small bands of Greek and Venetian soldiers attempted resistance, but the outcome was never in doubt.

The French and Austrians dictated a harsh peace. Venice lost its suzerainty over Byzantium, Albania, and Montenegro. The daughter of Ioannes, Zoe, was crowned Empress of Byzantium. Morea and Epirus became independent states, although here, in southern Greece, Venice retained its supervision of the newly independent principalities. The Republic was also allowed to keep its outposts in Corfu and Cyprus, but its power in Eastern Mediterranean was nowhere near what it was in the first quarter of the century.

I think I will wait for a good ruler (not too hard with Republics) and diplo-annex southern Greece. The loss of Byzantium as a vassal hurts the most I think, and the loss of my alliance. I managed to get an alliance with Switzerland, but I don't know how reliable the Swiss will be. Plus look at that Golden Horde!

Urgh, but now I have to say looking at your next moves will be even more interesting ;-) That Horde is madness..!

Crap, typed up an update and then closed the window on accident. Anyways, it wasn't that good to begin with. Slow two decades.

1. Joseph and Sayid both died quickly. The horde focused on Poland and Lithuania afterwards. Austria declined. Venice grabbed Brescia quickly when Austria invaded Milan.

2. Venice took back Montenegro and Albania. This put Venice in direct conflict with the horde. Ragusa and others were not so lucky.

3. The horde is SCARY. They ate the southern Poland and Lithuania and most of Russia. But this is as large as they are every going to get. Tun dun dun.

Sorry for the crappy update guys.

Brief summary so far, for my own sake:

Antonio Veniero (1382-1403)
Presided over the conflict between Carlo Zeno and Alvise Erizzo and oversaw Venice's expansion in western Balkans. Killed by Erizzo when he refused to negotiate a peace with France.

Tomasso Grimani (1403-1413)
Allowed Eerizzo to rule Venice and supported trade, transforming the Republic into an extremely rich country. Grew jealous of Erizzo's power and invaded Milan, prompting a long war with Milan, Bavaria, and Hungary that destroyed much of Venice's trade power. Killed by Erizzo a few weeks before Erizzo fell from power.

Antonio Zustiniani (1413-1425)
Rebuilt much of Venice's trade position. Invaded and vassalized Byzantium and restored much of Greece to the power of Constantinople. Venice reached the pinnacle of its power by the end of his rule. Attempted to organize an alliance to repel the Mongols, but died before he could secure Austrian support.

Agostino Lando (1425-1428)
Failed to stop Joseph I's invasion of Venice. Held out in Venice for three years before being killed during the assault on the city. Venice lost almost all of its control over eastern Mediterranean other than Athens.

Michele Toscani (142:cool:
Slowly rebuilt Venetian power, expanding Venetian possessions in Italy and in the western Balkans.

Ok, so I upgraded to 5.1 final and the game crashes exactly 1 month after I load it. Not too surprising given that the save was converted across two different beta patches and then the final, but still annoying. I wasn't able to revive it no matter how much I tried, but thankfully I wasn't too far in, so I am going to start over. I will try to do something very similar to what I did the first time around, but obviously there are no guarantees that the world will turn out the same.

Additionally, I must finish this before school starts again in a few weeks and since I now have much less time than before this will go quicker. Stay tuned for the first update of the restart.

Dream of the East (1399 - 1402)

In 1399 Venice is ruled by Doge Antonio Veniero, a rather capable and ambitious man. He believes that Venetian destiny lies in the East, in Greece and the Balkans, but at the same time he needs a secure position in Italy to pursue that destiny. Venice quickly forms an alliance with Savoy, Naples, and Switzerland with the goal of isolating Milan and keeping France and Austria out of Italy.

In March of 1400 Venice begins a war against the Prince of Montenegro as the Doge leads an army in a siege of Podgorica. The Republic's slow progress prompts Ragusa to enter the war against Venice with the hope of keeping the Italians out of the southern Adriatic. The war continues until January of 1402 when Venice finally secures Dubrovnik and disbands the government there while installing a new Prince in Montenegro.

Exactly a year after Venice begun its war against Montenegro Naples begins a war against Epirus which Venice joins. A small army marches from Athens to join the forces of Naples. In October the Emperor of Byzantium makes the fatal mistake of supporting Epirus. Venice and Naples quickly make an agreement to divide the two countries between themselves, proceeding to defeat the Byzantine navy in December and to begin the siege of Constantinople. The siege lasts almost a year and the war does not end until December of 1402. Sadly Doge Antonio Veniero passes away at the walls of Constantinople to be replaced by Vittore Lando.

Italian Affairs (1402 - 1415)

With the forces of Naples busy in Epirus the opportunistic forces of Aragon and Sicily invade the country. The Prince of Naples assumes that once his forces get back from Epirus he will easily crush the Sicilians, but he underestimates the threat. Venice enters the war in April of 1403 but only the Republic's fleet sees any action. By September of 1403 Naples is forced to sign a humiliating treaty ceding most of southern Italy to Sicily. Venice moves quickly to secure the once-again independent Epirus before ending the war with Aragon and Sicily.

After the wars the Republic focuses on domestic issues, expanding its trade and establishing a National Trade Policy in 1405. The Doge looks hungrily at Milan which is embroiled in a war with France and Aragon, but the Italians hold their ground and there is no chance to strike. The Venetians sponsor rebelions in Pisa and Siena, but these do not come to much - the rebels secure the cities, but gain no international recognition and a stalemate persists.

By the end of the first decade of the 15th century Venice is looking for new allies to replace the humbled Naples. In 1409 Austria offers an alliance that Venice jumps on - the danger of Austrian expansion in Italy is acceptable as long as Austria helps Venice against Milan. In early 1411 Austria attacks Milan and Venice quickly joins the war. By November of 1412 the affair is over - Milan hands Verona over to Venice and pays a significant sum to the Austrians. In January of 1415 Doge Vittore Lando passes away to be succeeded by Domenico Cornaro.