• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good news. Another reason to look forward to chrismas then

What about an alternative to the great depression outside of more government spending? Despite it being mainstream thought(supposedly)that the new deal saved the US from a worse recession, just by doing a google search of the great depression I found a number of articles that outlined with specific facts/reasons the great depression was so bad and long lasting in the US compared to the rest of the world. Basically to sum it up shortly the Hoover and Roosevelt administrations both did the worse things they could possibly do and a recession that last 1 to 4 years in the rest of the world dragged well into world war two (around 13 years) in the US. The argument that the new deal helped is pretty weak actually which is why its confusing to me why anyone thats studied US history believes it helped.I admit I believed the new deal did help after reading my highschool text book when I was a freshmen but changed my mind when I learned more facts. I am not saying that massive government spending should not be one way of ending the depression early either just that it should not be the only way. I think some open minded research into ways to end the depression early is needed with maybe some negatives for each route but much better then the actual new deal which was just politics and naive ideology in my opinion.
On a different note if Germany remains a republic does world war happen? I just don't see Stalin starting a war with western Europe. Most of the world was very anti war still in the 30's so if Germany remains a republic your looking at a boring game considering hoi is more about war then nation building. Then again its possible if very unlikely that you could have a reason for war with the west vs Soviets maybe even a Soviet Japan alliance?

Storms,
It looks like you have some ideas about the historical period of the game and how economics works.
Would your suggestion translate well into the existing DH paradigm of being centered on warfare and its implications for nations? Or do they concern mostly nation-building for the USA, Weimar Republic, and USSR? I think your suggestions are more of the latter and would not be fun to play in current DH. They do sound more appropriate as an idea for a mod in a nation building game like Victoria II.
As a personal note, I am pretty Keynesian, and would ask that you respect people who do not share your thoughts by checking your dismissiveness of opposing viewpoints.

Storms,
It looks like you have some ideas about the historical period of the game and how economics works.
Would your suggestion translate well into the existing DH paradigm of being centered on warfare and its implications for nations? Or do they concern mostly nation-building for the USA, Weimar Republic, and USSR? I think your suggestions are more of the latter and would not be fun to play in current DH. They do sound more appropriate as an idea for a mod in a nation building game like Victoria II.
As a personal note, I am pretty Keynesian, and would ask that you respect people who do not share your thoughts by checking your dismissiveness of opposing viewpoints.
It sounds like you failed to read what I said carefully and don't want to bother with other points of views yourself since I said that there should be alternative routes I did not say only one route. To be more clear I believe that new deal was not Keynesian based on things Keynesian's say so when I was talking about it I was not talking about keynesian economics in my viewpoint but if you think the new deal was something you want to attach the keynesian name to be my guess.. Basically all I was saying in my previous post was that I am distressed by how the modding community here seems to take only one view to fixing the great depression the view that the new deal was just not large enough to fix the problem(I am sorry if I am wrapping the whole community here into one blanket its just every mod I seen here that dealt with the US great depression was in favor of this or the new deal was great view). I just want an alternative if that's too much then maybe its you that are dismissive of opposing views. If you did for example an event where you had choice of spending a lot of money and other resources to help the get out of the depression would be one way maybe it should add infrastructure too but should take off map money to simulate the debt for a period for a Keynesian choice,oh and maybe move you towards planned economy some. Then have a second choice where you spend offmap money (to simulate loss of revenue from tax cuts) get no extra infrastructure and move towards free market.
Oh and maybe you should read the opening post because it listed plans for the great depression so i replied to the idea its not like I am coming completely out of the blue here like your trying to make it sound by saying my suggestions are nation building and not needed even if the are not wanted lol.

I'm all for the idea of alternative approaches to dealing with the depression, Storm, and I'd be interested to see what sort of alternatives you have in mind. I don't want to send this thread off on an excursion into economic theory, and I have to admit to Keynesian leanings when it comes to this topic, so I'd find it very informative if you could very briefly mention the other policies that you have in mind.

While I agree that the Hoover and Roosevelt administrations could have handled things better, I'd really appreciate some pointers as to what they might have done instead - not just to ameliorate the effects of the depression but to actually turn it around You seem to be suggesting that freeing up the market even more would have been the way to go. If that's the case, I'd be interested to see the sort of events you think might stem from this to produce recovery, and whether they'd be accompanied by possible downside consequences such as those we've just seen in the GFC.