• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Loki/Narwal--Given your increased experience, what would you suggest for a French player in this scenario? Is an aggressive move towards Albany prudent, or is it a dangerous gambit? Is Grandpre' key? I realize that Duquesne is highly important, but how does one successfully raid with the troops opened up by it?

A very early aggressive move toward Albany is very doable just after you receive Montcalm, but should be VERY wary that it will trigger massive reinforcements for the English (two medium-sized armies, really, one immediately, one a bit later), that can turn the balance off. In one of my PBEM (not vs Baris nor Loki), I was completely led by my opponent, who did not know of that event (neither did I), and the massive reinforcements I received allowed me to push back Montcalm and win the game. My advice is to push until New York immediately if you do this, while making sure to keep Albany French. This will massively disrupt the English. If you cannot push till New York, probably don't go for Albany either.

Keeping Grandpré is difficult as the French, especially if the English attack in the very first turn but it will be a thorn in the enemy side as long as you hold it, and more importantly if you resist the initial English onslaught you can decide to transfer troops there and try to reconquer New Scotia for the French (very doable against AI, and probably doable against an English player if he expects an attack along the Hudson). New Scotia in your hands is I believe a tremendous advantage, as it makes the Cap Breton very difficult to siege (as the English won't be able to "roll" the supply wagons like I did in my AAR.

Duquesne is good to restore the health of your raiders, but it is difficult to launch a full raid from there. One thing I did in PBEM is transfer a regular (that can conquer cities) there, and use it to take cities whose defenders were killed by a concentration of courriers / indians. It is EXTREMELY irritating for the English to see those cities far from the front change hands (and you get the VP) though, the funnest being that in the version I played those cities were then generating French militia (but not anymore I think).

Now, it's the last season of the game in 1763. I'm holding Duquesne, Quebec and Louisbourg but can't attack anywhere since the english are too numerous. Hope i can hold!

Narwal/Loki/some other WiA player, second question: if you have a strong enough defense in Carillion, do you think that burning the forts north of Ontario in order to cut off a British attack from there (or greatly slow it) is a good strategy?

I'd say so, in later games I've become quite a fan of scorched earth tactics, esp if its an area you don't need but effectively cuts off an invasion route. Supply wagons are very hard to come by so restoring a depot line (or even just one or two resting places) is a real drain for your opponent.

Narwal/Loki/some other WiA player, second question: if you have a strong enough defense in Carillion, do you think that burning the forts north of Ontario in order to cut off a British attack from there (or greatly slow it) is a good strategy?

Why would you burn forts on "your" side of the lakes?? What you should do early is burn all the british forts and towns near albany and duqesne you get your hands on. And try not to let the opponent bunker down on the shores.

That's why I think that one shouldn't defend at Carillion but at Saint Sacrament (the province south) as it cuts the british off from harbours at Lake Champlain (making it hard to strike at Montreal directly). Build a lvl 2 or 3 depot (maybe a fort if you use the additional arty option) there and it should be nigh on impossbile to remove you with brute force.

Why would you burn forts on "your" side of the lakes?? What you should do early is burn all the british forts and towns near albany and duqesne you get your hands on. And try not to let the opponent bunker down on the shores.

Because I lost Fort Niagra

:(

Because I lost Fort Niagra

:(

Then it won't be of any help - your opponent will get bateux and ships on the lake and will be able to move his troops directly on Motreal in one/two turns. The only way I can see you winning now is if you have a big lead in points and manage to bunker down in Montreal, Qubeck and that fort on the island.

Then it won't be of any help - your opponent will get bateux and ships on the lake and will be able to move his troops directly on Motreal in one/two turns. The only way I can see you winning now is if you have a big lead in points and manage to bunker down in Montreal, Qubeck and that fort on the island.

How many ships? I still have local naval superiority and I think that an attack on Fort Niagra (it's way overstuffed with troops right now and I just took Oswego) would be possible within the year.

How many ships? I still have local naval superiority and I think that an attack on Fort Niagra (it's way overstuffed with troops right now and I just took Oswego) would be possible within the year.

He has better EP production and thus should be able to reach naval superiority given time via options.

Late to the party, but I just read through this aar after seeing it mentioned elsewhere. I enjoyed it, a lot. Thank you both for sharing!

Too bad I wasn't around for the giveaway :happy:, but I'll grab WiA for sure the next time it gets a discount on GG

Late to the party, but I just read through this aar after seeing it mentioned elsewhere. I enjoyed it, a lot. Thank you both for sharing!

Too bad I wasn't around for the giveaway :happy:, but I'll grab WiA for sure the next time it gets a discount on GG

Thank you. I reread it again (in part) at the occasion and I really like then end result.

By curiosity (and misplaced pride), where did you read about it ?