• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ouch. I wish I had more insightful things to say, but I think 'Ouch' really covers it this time.

Situation up North looks decent, but with the South essentially safe for Narwhal, I wonder how long it is until he ships some forces from the Carolinas to reinforce his northern front.

I have to confess, I was seriously put out by that turn of events, its not I was going to win the war with my antics in the south, but it was a nice distraction. I still have some more Indians and regulars though in the region, so its not all over yet

August 1758 - sparring around Ontario

With the collapse of my southern gambit and the relatively high attrition in general of my irregulars, from now on the war seemed to become a bit more conventional, but still mediated by the huge problem of how to actually cross the gaps between our respective regions.

So August was a bit of a stalemate, but things are still developing nicely:

At Louisbourg I fill in the hole in the walls, still plenty of supply and only 3 turns till winter drives Narwhal away (that at least was my estimate)

this usefully whacks one of his annoying Indian groups that have been scouting around in Canada ... it should be clear that scouting around is my job.

I blame my scouts. Not only has the force at Oswego grown immensely but that was meant to be a joint attack by the regulars from Mont Royal and the irregular force that actually attacked. If you send boats, you get a lot of these 'our force was delayed by x days' events, which is good as it reflects the chaos of war and poor communications etc, but it does make even harder (rightly) to co-ordinate multiple columns.

So lets take out that fort at Niagara instead ... its not as strategic but it does really annoy me.

and around Champlain, much to my surprise there seems to be a huge English army besieged in Fort St Frederick (look at the dots around the town, so the idea of starving them out is attractive) and various scouts are trying to spot the main English force. Montcalm lurks at Mont Royal waiting to drive any invader back.

Last edited:
September 1758 ... the English are rebuffed

So, over in Louisbourg, the English knock another hole in the walls, but more worryingly for the first time I start to worry about supply. I think I have enough to November/December but I'd quite like for the forces besieging me to go away.

I have a small fleet and more supply wagons at Quebec, if it gets desparate then I'll gamble on running the naval blockade to deliver more supply. Louisbourg really simplifies my defensive alignment along the St Laurence (at the moment the garrison at Quebec is minimal)

Narwhal tries a naval landing on the north edge of Lake Champlain, at the same time as Montcalm had moved to support my forces sieging St Frederick. Ah the sweet smell of gunpowder in the morning ,,,

and over where my old Fort Niagara was my units unload and do a lot of damage, but unfortunately the fort holds ...

well I may as well repeat the attempt next turn. Its not the most startegic or valuable of the forts but either regaining it (or burning it again) will help my overall position on Lake Ontario

As maybe clear, the war is becoming more and more a clash of organised armies rather than raids. In part this is due to the destruction of my force in the south, in part in the north I'm using my irregulars much more in support of the regular forces (scouting and/or joining in attacks) and in part this late in the campaign season we are much more engaged with each other.

... and I was very pleased with my victory at the north of Lake Champlain - in part luck but I was semi-expecting that sort of move so it seemed worth committing Montcalm. I can now pull back from St Frederick with ease next turn.

First off, great AAR Narwhal & Loki.

As I'm fairly new to the game, I did have a question. I can understand why you need to take forts one by one through a given corridor on land, as travel for regulars is quite slow, and running out of supplies and wintering are big concerns, so leap-frogging any major fortress is tough to do effectively.

However, why is the fall of Louisbourg a prerequisite for hitting Quebec, or is it? (outside of any related event bonuses taking Louisbourg offers, if any?). Could you not hypothetically ship troops over past Louisbourg if it was heavily defended by the French player, directly into Quebec if Quebec was lightly defended for instance, or even use St. John's as a staging area for the invasion of Quebec instead of Louisbourg? As far as I understand, Louisbourg doesn't exert a sea zone-of-control does it?

I guess my question boils down to, how much can the French player 'cheat' defending Quebec and still get away with it.

I understand there would be much heavier logistical issues in supplying the Quebec that'd make hitting it early challenging. Just wondering if that kind of "sneak attack" was possible or not given the right circumstances (light guard @ Quebec).

First off, great AAR Narwhal & Loki.

As I'm fairly new to the game, I did have a question. I can understand why you need to take forts one by one through a given corridor on land, as travel for regulars is quite slow, and running out of supplies and wintering are big concerns, so leap-frogging any major fortress is tough to do effectively.

However, why is the fall of Louisbourg a prerequisite for hitting Quebec, or is it? (outside of any related event bonuses taking Louisbourg offers, if any?). Could you not hypothetically ship troops over past Louisbourg if it was heavily defended by the French player, directly into Quebec if Quebec was lightly defended for instance, or even use St. John's as a staging area for the invasion of Quebec instead of Louisbourg? As far as I understand, Louisbourg doesn't exert a sea zone-of-control does it?

I guess my question boils down to, how much can the French player 'cheat' defending Quebec and still get away with it.

I understand there would be much heavier logistical issues in supplying the Quebec that'd make hitting it early challenging. Just wondering if that kind of "sneak attack" was possible or not given the right circumstances (light guard @ Quebec).

Glad you're enjoying it .. & welcome to the forums (as an active poster)

If I understand it Louisbourg guards Quebec in 3 related ways. First if you try to sail past it, you get hit by the guns and that can cause losses (we'll see a lot of this soon), second without it you need to invade from Halifax which adds another month to the journey, as the ice doesn't lift till June and returns in November that leaves you scarcely time to get to Quebec, and you'll really struggle to set up the sort of supply replacement convoys that Narwhal uses, related to these two if you gamble on sending in a small fleet to scout first, by the time you have an idea of the garrison it'd be too late to send in a second force. Finally, a more alert player than me can set the French navy up so that any force in the St Laurence is suddenly boxed in as it pulls back at the end of the season ... & that'd be fatal due to winter.

The problem with St Jean is unless you build up the depot it won't generate the supply you need for the attack and to get your fleet located at St Jean means crossing Louisbourg's guns.

So its a bit like the issue with how the forts constrain movement, you can always ignore this and hope that a bold gamble pays off, but in this case I suspect you'd at best end up with a relatively isolated force at Quebec that was having supply problems.

The permanent, fixed, garrison at Quebec is a couple of battalions and a lot of guns, I think at this stage I had a couple of extra battalions there, which I think would have taken some shifting.

October 1758 ... a few emerging problems

At this stage, for me, Louisbourg was the main focus. In part I believed I was racing between winter and my supply stocks ... & just possibly in danger of losing:

So as you can see I have less than 2 months left. The good news is I repair the fort again and inflict a lot of damage on the English ships.

I decide its worth the gamble of using my fleet to bring in fresh supplies from Quebec.

Now, from what Narwhal told me, that fleet properly used in the summer would have disrupted his naval resupply at Louisbourg but by now he has had a lot of naval reinforcements. Problem is, as I've confessed in other AARs, I really find the naval side of strategy games a challenge, so end up not making use of the resources. Unlike RoP this is a naval as well as a land campaign.

On Ontario, my renewed assault fails:

time to hop back on the Bateaux and return to safety.

So that campaign was in some ways a defeat, but to my mind all the fighting took place on Narwhal's territory south of Ontario not mine to the north. As his forces become stronger I'm finding it harder and harder to find a weak spot, but don't want to risk going totally passive either.

So now the war has become a battle to land the decisive blow correct?

I think so, reading my notes and looking at the screenshots I took, all that free ranging raiding and looting is mostly over & its down to quite a tense set of moves around key provinces. Its a bit like playing a different game, but utterly fascinating.

So that campaign was in some ways a defeat, but to my mind all the fighting took place on Narwhal's territory south of Ontario not mine to the north. As his forces become stronger I'm finding it harder and harder to find a weak spot, but don't want to risk going totally passive either.

You have no idea how true this is. But you will see in the AAR. All my offensive plan that year have been stalled because I was trying to defend against all your pushes in the area.

Does the Navy also help in the sieges?
Yes, in three ways :

- They blockade the port, which means the French cannot receive supplies from the Harbor (10 supply per level of harbor per turn)... or from supply wagons brought in by ships.
- They can bombard the port, which weakens the enemy forces
- They can bring supply (manually) - like I am doing in Louisbourg, as you will see in my AAR.

July 1758 – The Southern Front is closed !

The outstanding news in the South is Cornw… sorry… Jean-Daniel Dumas’s surrender at Savannah :

Savannah-1.jpg

I also captured a French transport, the "Flotte du Golfe". Small fleet, eh, as it was only 1 ship strong.

Loki100 told me he had ordered his troops to sortie, but we did not investigate immediately then. Then, I thought that supposedly, the “siege” effect is resolved after the “sortie”, so there was something abnormal. I investigated (with Loki100 authorization) and found out that Loki100 had given the wrong order : a “sortie” order.
When you want to break the siege from the city under siege, you need to use that ATTACK or ASSAULT stance and drag and drop the unit OUTSIDE the city.
You must not
- Use the “sortie” order, which will be converted in a “enter structure” order as soon as you drag’n’ drop the unit outside
- If there are locked units in the stack, it MAY (I am not sure) for the unit, and thus the stack, inside, thus cancelling your attempt.
Using the “sortie” order allows a force inside a structure to attack the besiegers WHEN the forces besieged are themselves attacked by an “external” force, thus allowing some sort of (very efficient) cooperation
If you use the “sortie” order but there is no relieving force to coordinate with, the force to which you gave the “sortie” order will wait… and wait… and wait until the end of the turn.
Long later, we redid the turn to see what would have happened if Loki had not mixed up those orders (which, granted, are unclear), and the result was that my force was chased away with significant losses (elements).

In any case, in our game, I “closed” the Southern Front.
Overall, I believe Loki100 failed to significantly alter my strategy with his opening of the second front, except maybe in early 1757 when my forces were not numerous on the whole map. Here is the forces I committed to the South :

Commited.jpg

The rest were “local” forces I would not have brought North, and 8 ships.
8 elements of regular, 4 elements of guns and 4 elements of supply – not insignificant, but small - and 1 element of cavalry which was useless in the North. Much less than what Loki100 committed (like 20 elements of Indians, 10 elements of light, 4 to 8 elements of regulars and 3 or 4 leaders)… and lost.

On the Champlain, Fort Saint Frederick is under attack – but hold out against 3 assaults :

Frenchattempt1.jpg
Frenchattempt2.jpg

Frenchattempt3.jpg

I am going to counter-attack and chase the exhausted French :

Main-1.jpg

The number you see in the info-box is the maximum and “current” power of the enemy forces (the one I detect, and remember it is an estimation). Basically, the French are exhausted with about 20 total power.

My Great Works are going well :

- Fort Niagara should be built next turn :

depotAtNiagara.jpg

- And the new Fort Leboeuf in two turns :

NewLeboeuf.jpg

Finally, let’s have a look at Louisbourg. Amherst will be able to hold 2 more turns :

Amherst.jpg

He is still in offensive stance, because I don’t have enough MC YET to block the supply inflows. I think I need about 80% (by experience with the endgame).

So here is my strategy in the area :

Complex-1.jpg

As you can see, I am going to send some wagons back to Halifax to get some supply. You only need one turn : if you give a “boarding” order, the boat won’t move until the boarding is done. Same with landing.
I keep a force to Cap Breton to have an exit route to there in case things turn ugly.

Last edited:
August 1758 – Pressing the advantage !

July 1758 was good. August 1758 is good too :

Along the Champlain, the Chévalier de Lévis succeded at avoiding battle. But I am going to press my advantage and (cautiously) attack Fort Chartres. My objective is NOT Montréal (Montcalm is there I suppose) but l’Isle aux Noix, to destroy the last French port :

Pressingtheadvantage.jpg

In l’Isle aux Noix, I need to be cautious as the enemy force is decent. My Indians died to know that :

Ileauxnoix.jpg

I HOPE those forces are in l’Isle aux Noix to land in my back – so the Fort won’t be protected. I cannot siege it as I am afraid Montcalm will destroy me if I try. The plan is to assault the Fort, and come back by bateaux.

Speaking of Bateaux, a small group of Indians stopped a medium sized landing on Fort Oswego :

Oswego.jpg

Now that’s humiliating !

As the Depot in Fort Niagara is built, I am going to allow myself to do small operation : first raze an hostile Indian village

Niagara.jpg

Not so useful, but not so risky, either.

I plan to use this depot for offensive next year, when Loki100 will have to protect Quebec.

Fort Leboeuf 2 should be built next turn :

Leboeuf.jpg

And Rogers should arrive, so Détroit will be easy to take :

ROger-1.jpg

In the South – nothing. I keep my forces down there just in case…

Finally, the situation gets better in Louisbourg, as the city is now cut from its supplies… Just a few more turns to hold :

LouisbourgAugust.jpg

Which should be easy with fresh supplies :

Landing-1.jpg

Nov_Dec 1758, Duel in the frozen seas

I'll conflate these turns as a fair bit happened but all at Louisbourg to be honest.

Oddly November was quiet, I carried on damaging the RN (not sure what this amounted to in reality) and Narwhal's army decided to camp in the snow - we now of course know how he managed this.

Elsewhere I decided on a few raids. Not sure this was the greatest of plans but my logic was to keep some activity behind the lines. Against a less experienced opponent this might have been a bit unsettling.

this is just south of Duquesne

and this was an attempt to regain the heroic village that had flown the French flag for 2 years.

December at Louisbourg and it all happens. My relief squadron with the supplies is spotted and turned back, I run out of supplies, a hole appears in the wall but at least I win the usual artillery duel. Merry Noel one and all.

And to the north, Narwhal takes Plaisance on Terre Neuve. I guess he's cleaning up that flank as I can't think its of any other value.

So thats 1758. One disaster, even worse a disaster that we later found could have been a victory (so I hope you've all now learnt how to attack out of a fortress?), Louisbourg will fall but its lasted the year which isn't bad. Narwhal can't attack Quebec to May/June 1759 at the earliest so I've plenty of time to reorganise my defences.

Around Champlain and Ontario, a lot of fencing but surprisingly mostly on my terms. I didn't win much (apart from one medium sized battle) but I felt I was dictating the tempo and place of operations.

Not sure this will be repeated into 1759 ....

Narwhal does definetly seem to be in the ascendancy now, especially with the painful loss of Savannah. Louisbourg seems as though it will soon fall, but at least it survived for quite a while. Hopefully though loki can continue reacting well and bogging down British operations, as 1758 was by no means terrible for France, hopefully 1759 isn't either.

If I was Loki, I'd be cussing at the game for having such a damnedly confusing interface. So ordering a "sortie" does not actually give you a sortie?? :mad:

Of all AGEOD games the only one I ever tried was the barbarian invasion one. Oh what a confusing and frustrating experience that was. This game looks a lot more polished, but it seems they are still not taking the interface seriously??

Of all AGEOD games the only one I ever tried was the barbarian invasion one. Oh what a confusing and frustrating experience that was. This game looks a lot more polished, but it seems they are still not taking the interface seriously??
Barbarian Invasion was not made by AGEOD but only published.

There are a few confusing things in WiA, but generally speaking it is quite clear, also thanks to the "infoboxes" you have everywhere. It is more the "small rules" that can be problematic in WiA.

If I was Loki, I'd be cussing at the game for having such a damnedly confusing interface. So ordering a "sortie" does not actually give you a sortie?? :mad:

to be fair all the AGEOD manuals are clear on this point its just the implication is not always clear (a bit like say how the HQ system works in HOI3), in effect AGEOD give you two options - one is a sally to take place when a relief force arrives (the sortie order) & the other is a trick to break out the fort (click and drop to the province), the problem is when you do, as I did and combine the two concepts, I left the fort and went back into it ... . In the main, I'm really coming to appreciate AGEOD's game design philosophy but it IS different to Paradox's ... and if like me, you're used to Paradox's Clauswitz game engine then its a bit of a learning curve. Hence the idea behind this AAR.

In effect one part of the way we hope people will learn is from my mistakes as much as from Narwhal's excellent unpacking of key mechanics. Can't imagine that many readers of the relevant posts is now unaware of what not to do.