• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
July 1761 - a small set back, a visit to the bakery and the counter offensive starts

Ok, well this was probably the worst move I made in the whole game (for which I know there is a lot of competition):

but it lulls Narwhal into a false sense of optimism about what to do next (still silly though)

this was more planned, I wanted to tangle up the English at Oswego while my regulars landed and re-organised.

Quebec - scene of the Royal Navy running away and the French bakers enjoying their tasks in the ease of a summer afternoon. The English sit all miserable in the woods.

Oswego - I'm going to try and move fast and take out the two forts behind Oswego (hence the attack and move stance - which is a huge gamble if I meet something). My gamble is that Narwhal will protect Oswego and I can mess up the supply and reinforcement lines and then turn on the fort - burn it and that seals up Lake Ontario again.

In the meantime Montcalm falls back into Mont Royal. This is deliberate (this time), I need to regain org quickly (easier in structure) and I want Narwhal to think I'm settling down for a siege.

Nasty stuff, a brusing second Battle of Depot. Hopefully loki's plans prove successful as Narwhal is tightening his grip slowly but surely. Good that the bakers have not been adversly affected though.

I will. But for the line/heavy infantry....It was exactly the case: 8 battalions. The rest were the guerrilla force and the militia

I hope your fort-burning plans work out: it seems like a fairly low-risk kind of operation (not for the troops involved, but rather going by the total amount of troops involved) and it could have a serious effect on Narwhal's ability to continue the sieges.

It's interesting to see that, even though you're essentially beaten in the field, you still have options that could theoretically tilt the overall outcome in your favor (if we're not counting victory points).

Wait! a 56 power colonial infantry? How is it possible?

Nasty stuff, a brusing second Battle of Depot. Hopefully loki's plans prove successful as Narwhal is tightening his grip slowly but surely. Good that the bakers have not been adversly affected though.

no, still lots of good quality croissants being eaten by the Quebec garrison ... we send out trays covered in crumbs to taunt the English now and then

I hope your fort-burning plans work out: it seems like a fairly low-risk kind of operation (not for the troops involved, but rather going by the total amount of troops involved) and it could have a serious effect on Narwhal's ability to continue the sieges.

It's interesting to see that, even though you're essentially beaten in the field, you still have options that could theoretically tilt the overall outcome in your favor (if we're not counting victory points).

I'm still looking for an angle, but the next post more or less reduces me to little but hanging on as long as possible - till my glorious Spanish allies come to my rescue in any case

Wait! a 56 power colonial infantry? How is it possible?

its the single best French bn in the game - I think you find it hanging around over in Detroit (grooving to the Motown sound), well worth transporting to somewhere more useful though

August-September 1761 ... the first hint of just the possibility of defeat

So

Summer 1761 is, as promised, a sequence of victories ... time to see what I can do then.

For this turn and next I gamble on leaving Montcalm in Mont Royal (he'll regain org quicker) and then try to break out in the Autumn.

This proves to be not a bad idea as I only just resist an English attack

but it IS a victory .. sort of

South of Lake Ontario, things brighten up

and, yes, it burns down too

but in September a few flaws in that plan become apparent

thats Frontenac in English hands, so mostly Lake Ontario now belongs to the English instead

and

I almost take the second fort, but discover a huge (compared to me) army in Albany - I'll retreat to Ontario and then go by bateaux either to shore up Mont Royal or defend my last town on the west side of the lake.

I'm still looking for an angle, but the next post more or less reduces me to little but hanging on as long as possible - till my glorious Spanish allies come to my rescue in any case

I think I see a flaw with that plan... When exactly was the last time the Spanish beat a major power again? :p

The battle for Montreal was a lot closer than I would've expected, considering your superiority in numbers (in militia, I know), the fact that you were in a fort and that Montcalm is a pretty awesome leader. Worrisome...

And your burning spree ends after one paltry fort. Also not great. Even though your armies haven't been destroyed in the field, your odds of a successful battle are dwindling close to zero. I find it interesting that the threat of destruction is just as powerful in defeating your plans as any actual destruction of your armies would.

Things truly seem to have reached a stalemate. I'm finding it difficult to see where you can go from here but perhaps if you do get some outside aid and perhaps lure some British troops into ambush via further use of deadly croissant crumbs, you may manage to manage to make something happen to your advantage.

The battle for Montreal was a lot closer than I would've expected, considering your superiority in numbers (in militia, I know), the fact that you were in a fort and that Montcalm is a pretty awesome leader. Worrisome...

Actually, the battle card shows everyone present, but only a few units actually engaged on the French side - against my whole army.

August 1761 – Setting up the camps !

Well, after Montcalm’s double defeat, I moved toward Montréal and after a token French resistance could siege the place :

VictoryatMontral.jpg

[Due to a display bug on my version, I cannot show a screenshoot of the battle of “my side”, so I use Loki100’s screen.]

I am reorganizing my forces in the North. I want the two sieges to be led by a Master Logistician :

Movement.jpg

Montcalm is trapped in Montréal, and I don’t see what he can do. I just have to wait for victory.

South of the Ontario, Guillaume Plantavit de Lapause brings the French what might be their last victory :

Ouchsurprise.jpg

I like this general first name. Loki100 will understand why 

This allows the French to raze one of my formerly key fort on the Oswego – Albany axis. Happily enough, this fort is not strategic any more.

South-3.jpg

Frontenac is taken without combat !

Having placed Montreal under siege you are in a seeming unassailable position. This seems especially true when you mention the Battle of Fort St. Catherine could prove the last French victory of this war, things are looking rather desperate for loki! Still, hopefully a few croissants and seemingly cute kittens of the Fluffy kind can save the day for France!

Winning is impossible. But as Napoleon once said, l'impossible n'est pas français, impossible isn't french!

Wow. I think we'll be hearing the death rattle of French North America any day now... It's hard to see what options the French have left (meaningful options, that is. I'm still waiting for the 'Occupy Wall Street' episode - with matches...;)). It's been a good ride, with lots of surprising developments, but I think the end is near.

Impossible isn't french I said! :p

I'm not sure why but at the moment the reply with quotes function seems inoperative.

Well as you will see in my next post, Narwhal is guilty of putting a few too many oeufs in the pudding ... he gets a right humping & makes the mistake of attacking the same place twice. I believe somewhere in the thread is the comment that the first time is strategy & the second is ...

And don't forget, vote in the ACAs, link in my signature

New France resurgent Oct-Dec 1761

'last victory', aye right.

First Montcalm, restored and resupplied surges out of Mont Royal and sends the English screaming off to the woods ...

and then I win a useful battle at St Francis - the fort opposite Trois Rivieres. Useful as its both a threat and helps my supply production.

More English are found wailing in the woods.

My brave force south of Ontario meets its defeat with traditional French stoicism (well they should be used to it by now)

Christmas puddings are ordered

and the garrison at Quebec is put on double rations ... we even leave some food out for the starving English

In November, it seems that trying to siege Trois Rivieres was not such a good idea

Food stocks remain plentiful at Quebec - only pity is that winter is late this year

And in December, Montcalm is forced in inflict yet another defeat on the English ... they are obviously rather desparate now the trap is closing on them

they don't look too peaky at Quebec either

So the scene is set for a dramatic victory in 1762 ...

September 1761 – Les carottes sont cuites !

This turn does not see much movements, but a flurry of French defeats :

The French fleet is sunk once and for all !

Fleetsaved.jpg

Of course, my courageous troops could have captured the boats, but the wood the French ships are made of is not even worth making fire out of it.

The French attempt to retake Frontenac is a failure :

FrenchattemptatFrontenac.jpg

Even Guillaume Plantavit’s daring attempt on German Flats ends up in a failure :

Germanflats.jpg

His force disappears from the map. I don’t know where it is, but I am not too worried :

Lapausedisappeared.jpg

Washington is irking for the moment to make a demonstration of skill.

Finally, I am going to reinforce the siege of Montréal :

Siegescarryon.jpg

These troops were the “wounded” ones you saw last turn. Since they were the only ones in the level 3 depot of Trois-Rivieres, they recovered very, very quickly.

At this point, I don't see how the French can break the sieges. "The French carrots are cooked !"

Last edited:
October 1761 – The last twitches of agony

It is not unknown, for fresh bodies, to have nervous "reflexes" that can simulate life. That's the situation of France. Or at least that's what my commanders explained in their letters to the High Command in London.

While everything looks packed and my officers are enjoying a well-deserved cup of tea in some quiet plain above the city of Montréal, the sneaky French and their leader Montcalm attempt a sortie :

Abrahams.jpg

The English see a wall of French literally throwing themselves on the English baionettes. The English commanders, while obviously going to win the battle, decide to fall back to finish enjoying their tea. No French will threaten the English most cherished traditions.

Oh well, Forbes managed to convince people back in England it was a major victory – the French were dozens of thousands, and HE managed to retreat in good order. Yep, sir. And he killed 5 thousands of them, too. Yep. With no ammo :

Whatdefeat.jpg

In my opinion, there is no way the French can pull this sort of battle a second time given their atrocious losses. Loki100 most probably ordered a “All-out attack”, and you see the effects : the French traded massive losses for winning the ground. [Any other order would have resulted in a French retreat].
I am going to attack again, as Sir William Johnson forces refused to engage Montcalm and fell back on Joliette just as James Murray’s force. The combined army should mop Montcalm up no problem.

North-2.jpg

The siege of Quebec carries on :

Stillsieging.jpg

I am not showing the supply wagons going back and forth from and to Trois-Rivieres. It has been months now since the siege started !

Some Indians are intercepted (and one element destroyed in retreat) as they were scouting the irritating Fort Saint Francis :

Indiansintercepted.jpg

At least, in the South, Guillaume Plantavit is decisively defeated after his attempt to raid Oswego :

FortOswegolevaran.jpg

Plantavitintercepted.jpg

With less than 1 200 exhausted man, Guillaume Plantavit is out of the picture from now on.

I can't believe how much elements Montcalm just lost!!!! it's at least 3/4 of the regular in Nouvelle France!!!