• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pleasure to read. It seems that Narwhal is enlarging his advantage, capturing Niagara and having that humongous army in Albany... I wonder if 1756 will indeed turn out to be France's apogee. Still, no- one does the burning and looting like the French-allied natives! :)

I found out this by accident, and didn't even know the game, but I'm finding this very interesting (and complicated).

(I don't know why, but I feel sympathy for the French - the English need to lose every now and then too :) )

If you get the Paradox newsletter (which I think is sent to all those registered on the forum), then you actually have the game for free ... dig out the last but one and there's a token for Wars In America #2 in there.

The delight of the game is it is beautifully pared down - no economics, no politics, vestigial supply and reinforcement systems, so its all about working out how to manouvre across half a continent with the two armies separated by wilderness ... and that are completely asymetric in their strengths.

& yes, putting Perfiduous Albion in its place is always fun (as you can gather from our respective locations -- we've swapped sides so to speak)

Keep going! Good AAR!

glad you're enjoying it ... 1757 sees some drama and some swings of advantage, but I rather fear that 1758 will be gruesome (especially if you live the southern regions of the US)

Pleasure to read. It seems that Narwhal is enlarging his advantage, capturing Niagara and having that humongous army in Albany... I wonder if 1756 will indeed turn out to be France's apogee. Still, no- one does the burning and looting like the French-allied natives! :)

we do not burn and loot as such ... more things happen when we are around ... think of them as badly misunderstood teenagers. But yes, Narwhal has built quite an advantage in the Niagara-Duquesne sector ... and it gets worse ... but I've always got spare matches.

December 1756-Jan 1757, English brutality even in winter

Well if you really wish to know who is the brutal aggressor in this war ... these two turns contain all the evidence you ever need to be shown.

In December, a group of Couriers and Indians pay a friendly visit to Fort St George ... and are violently rebuffed:

As to this, well there are my Indians snug and asleep for the winter and ...

And in the South, the English plan more of the same:

Even worse my mobile force is recovering organisation to the north and can't intervene till its recovered ... I fear for the worst

In January, the English try to do their worst but fortunately they fail for some reason

In this picture note those coastal cities ... I have plans to take them in revenge later on.

Obviously up in Canada everyone is in bed, and we both seem to be gathering reinforcements.

& I need to come up with some sort of plan for 1757 ... which is meant to be the last year I have any real chance.

If you get the Paradox newsletter (which I think is sent to all those registered on the forum), then you actually have the game for free ... dig out the last but one and there's a token for Wars In America #2 in there.
I haven't received any newsletter since my (recent, I admit) registration.

The delight of the game is it is beautifully pared down - no economics, no politics, vestigial supply and reinforcement systems, so its all about working out how to manouvre across half a continent with the two armies separated by wilderness ... and that are completely asymetric in their strengths.
The war side is already dense - adding economics and politics would make unbearable.

& yes, putting Perfiduous Albion in its place is always fun (as you can gather from our respective locations -- we've swapped sides so to speak)
You Scots don't mind kicking some English anyway, now and then :)

we do not burn and loot as such ... more things happen when we are around ... think of them as badly misunderstood teenagers. But yes, Narwhal has built quite an advantage in the Niagara-Duquesne sector ... and it gets worse ...
Duquesne and Niagara were strategical. Their loss is a setback for the French cause en Amérique. I hope you have some good plans :) This winter was a bit too cold.

In this picture note those coastal cities ... I have plans to take them in revenge later on.

It's good that you dream big... I mean, plan well ahead. I wonder, though, given what seems like a string of defeats in the last turn, if these plans are on the same level as Hitler's plans in remodeling Berlin and Linz after the war - 'pipe dream' is perhaps a fitting description? :p

I haven't received any newsletter since my (recent, I admit) registration.

Ah, thats a pity ... I think its now on sale on GG

The war side is already dense - adding economics and politics would make unbearable.

Duquesne and Niagara were strategical. Their loss is a setback for the French cause en Amérique. I hope you have some good plans :) This winter was a bit too cold.

I'd agree that the game is dense and involved ... even with few units to move you spend ages fussing over plans/stances/redeployments ... and trying to work out what is 'safe' what is 'contested' and what you can threaten ... plus knowing your opponent is doing the same.

I do prefer the PBEM system to on-line MP, it doesn't cut into the thinking time, it just means you know your opponent is capable of all sorts of tricky stunts.

Niagara is still contested, & remains so all the way through 1758, and I have a plan if not to retake Duquesne then at least to cut its supply lines.

You Scots don't mind kicking some English anyway, now and then

given my own rather mixed ethnicity thats a debate I stay out of ... too many links to both sides and to neither.

It's good that you dream big... I mean, plan well ahead. I wonder, though, given what seems like a string of defeats in the last turn, if these plans are on the same level as Hitler's plans in remodeling Berlin and Linz after the war - 'pipe dream' is perhaps a fitting description? :p

hah you of little faith ... you'll be surprised when the end of this game creates a situation in N America where Sarah Palin had to learn French then?

The defeats are wee teasers, designed to confuse Narwhal into thinking he is winning ...

February-March 1757

Due to the ongoing war in the south, these turns were actually pretty active. So I'll cover the main events (including my heroic defense of lots of innocent Indians from marauding bloodthirsty English) and then a discussion of the broad outlines of what I was trying to achieve across the rest of this year. I'll be a little vague in the details as the same basic plan is serving me in 1758 too.

Anyway, when we left, you were all worried about the fate of my poor Indians at Ocmulgee who were about to become the innocent victims of yet more English nastiness ... well, the day was saved:

with a heroic victory, I think Narwhal's militiamen became bored and went home.

We both carry on receiving more militia. I've a general with the 'militia training' trait, so I've created a force with all these units and he's steadily converting them to regulars ... who then join the heroic Montcalm to keep the English out of New France.

Now after the miracle of Ocmulgee, I decide its time to take revenge on Atlanta. Ideally I'd leave that stack to recover organisation but I know that Narwhal's evil killers are also disorganised, so it seems worth the gamble.

Now ... whats this you cry?

First note that the heroic hamlet of Pontoosuck flies the French Flag in defiance of Perfidious Albion ... well done chaps, we salute your dedication (& are rather unsure why you're doing it)

But the relevant bit is these are the couriers that have been operating in the North East, they'll slip through the English held region and join up with some other Courier units and some Indians ... we'll have another go at Fort Cumberland, hopefully Narwhal may have stripped the garrison or pressed on from Duquesne.

well my attempt at Atlanta failed (not really a surprise) so I'll back off reorganise and wait for the local tribes to perk up for the summer fun.

I expect St Jean to fall fairly quickly. The garrison was badly reduced and is quite vulnerable. If so Louisbourg is next and is key. If that falls Narwhal can land anywhere along the St Laurence - a direct threat to Quebec and Mont Royal. So I'm building it up a little, including spare supplies, more guns and a few extra battalions.

As I learn later, much to my shock, a force that is besieged and has no supply left, may surrender out of hand. I can't afford that at Louisbourg. It will fall at some stage but I'd rather keep it well into 1759 if I can.

So a bit of discussion of strategy. I in effect have 3 broad plans.

In the south, carry on being annoying, and bring up (by sea transport) a couple of regular battalions I have in Mobile and New Orleans, to add to the Indians and Couriers. If I get lucky, this could be quite a threat as it has the power to actually take places like Atlanta as opposed to just burning down the small forts.

Around Duquesne, theres not much I can do directly, but I can still snip away at Narwhal's supply lines, which is what I'll try.

In Canada, there are now 3 threats to me. The English forts on Lake Ontario, the army at Albany and the threat on the East coast.

What I'm going to do is scout aggresively and I have a large force with lots of Bateaux with Montcalm at Mont Royal. If Narwhal leaves one of his bases weakly held to move onto my territory, I'll go for his rear area (I have a large group of Indians & Couriers lurking in the region too), and then move back to defend my own. Even if I face a co-ordinated attack, my plan is to lash back at the weakest columns.

The problem is sooner or later Louisbourg will fall, but till then I think I can hold the current front around Ontario-Champlain.

Last edited:
How strong are your forces around New Orleans?
What about the Caribbean holdings?

At this stage, I have 3 regular bns and fixed guns in the Caribbean and at New Orleans and Mobile. So no use unless Narwhal attacks and not going to resist a long siege if he does ... not that he has any real incentive as the key cities are all up in Canada.

I've been shuffling units around (esp the Couriers), so my mobile force in the south is 3 bns of regulars (1 I managed to slip down past Narwhal's navy off New England), 3-4 units of couriers and 6-7 Indian bands. My problem at the start of 1757 is most of the latter are run down from the constant battles in 1756 ... so I send them off for R&R in Mobile to recover. The prize is Charleston as if I take that Narwhal's VPs and NM dip (& as in other AGEOD games lower NM affects your combat ability). The problem is its not a powerful enough force to take & hold cities (if I start leaving garrisons it'll be dispersed to uselessness), so the key is to try and grab a few smaller cities as a base and then abandon them when I move on (did someone mention matches?). I have one go at sneaking both a supply wagon and a unit of artillery down there, but they get intercepted so I had to run off back to Quebec with them. Pity as that really would have made a difference.

The pity was I could have set all this up in 1755-6 if I'd realised the possibilities, but I think with some luck and a bit of judicious redeployment you can form up a useful distraction in the region - if the English don't respond they could find themselves losing something valuable, if they do respond, well thats key formations not pressing on Canada for another campaigning season (which are short, especially for regular forces).

December 1756– January 1757 – Frozen battlefields

I wanted to do December – March, but I am going to adjust my AAR to Loki’s :)

So obviously, not much happen.

That’s December ’57 – every is frozen and there is no move at all

Frozendecember.jpg

And that’s January. Still pretty cold up there :

January57.jpg

In December 56, though, I wiped you the pretentious Indian village of Mingo. Less war criminals nearby :

MingoFinishedoff.jpg

In the South, though, my attempts to destroy the village of Ocmulgee is a failure after a short skirmish.

Failureatcounter.jpg

6 against 1 and not one savage dead. Talk about efficiency…

That’s pretty much all.

February – March 1757 – Preparing for 1757

1757 is a bit more active.

While the weather is good in February, I prefer not to move, as March can be quite cold :

February56.jpg

In March, the weather proves to be stable :

March57.jpg

It is time to start to plan for 1757.

Here is my plan on the main front :

MainPlan.jpg

With a fleet on the Ontario, I can now land on Fort Frontenac… or directly in Montréal if I feel lucky. I believe I can muster about twice the force the French has, but I cannot attack with such a force :

- It would be too slow and impossible to supply if I take the land route along the Champlain to Montréal.

- I have a limited boat capacity on the Ontario, not mentioning not enough supply at Oswego for now.

Thus, my plan is to split my force in two and attack along bothaxis, or more accurately, attack where my scouts say there is no French. I will most surely take at least one objective. I don't expect to take Montréal yet, but if left undefended...

I also plan to build a Fort at Niagara, to have a network of Fort along the lakes connecting Duquesne to Albany.

Here is the forces I should commit :
- The forces in Oswego – but most will stay in defense :

InOswego.jpg

- The reinforcements for the Ontario

ToOswego.jpg

- The troops earmarked for the Champlain front

InAlbany.jpg

Speaking of Fort Duquesne, I will show you my strategy there, but first let’s talk about some reinforcements I received :

Reinforcement.jpg

The generals are not so good, but the soldiers are the best Regulars I will ever get. They actually arrived in 1756, but they were locked until early 1757.

These troops will move to Duquesne, where they will form the main striking force.

ToDuquesne.jpg

Here is the plan in Duquesne :

Strategy1.jpg

As you can see, I won’t move before the King’s Rifles arrive in the area – but my target are fairly limited anyway. I expect to take Fort LeBoeuf and not destroy it, too.

The plan on Saint-Jean is more obvious :

Strat2.jpg

Finally, in the South, I decide to put a full stop at the savage depredations on our beautiful country. I fetched troops from the Caribbean :

TroopsfromKingston.jpg

They arrive in March 1757, eager for battle :

TroopsinCharleston.jpg

Just in time, as the French attempted a daring at Augusta !

FailureintheSouth.jpg

Where will their impudence stop ?

Last edited:
We shall see to that 1757 will be hot in the South, while 1758 will be the year of the naval action.

April_May 1757: Preparations

I can run these two turns together as in both I was more engaged in preparations than any action.

First some more reinforcements:

Now that new battalion in the West Indies plus an active battalion at Mobile gives me some options (I wish I'd known that Narwhal had stripped Jamaica of its garrison as I could have take that for the fun of it).

Any, first stage is to recruit even more Indians:

The key is you can unlock the Indians by moving a unit with Power more than they have into the province at the end of turn. So the two that are already active can unlock the last two ... so thats part of the southern army preparing.

Unfortunately the unit of Couriers and Indians that has fought so many brave battles is a bit run down:

So go off to Mobile to recover ... where it so happens is a battalion of regulars and a ship. Now when they have had chance to recover, I start to see a plan. Indians from the north, couriers and regulars doing a naval invasion ...

By May, worst of winter in Canada is over. So first act is to set up my scouting network:

My basic plan is to sit at Mont Royal with a large army and lots of Bateaux. If Narwhal moves across Ontario I'll hit two things - his base at Oswego by a naval raid, and the force he lands by moving Montcalm and the rest.

My guess is he has the numbers but not the capacity to deliver them all, so I in effect have the advantage of a central position (which as ever is a posh way to say I'm surrounded).

Finally on Champlain, I beef up my two exposed garrisons a little ... they are probably lost but I'd like to keep them as long as possible and delay/do some damage.

Over in the east, herds of English thunder towards St Jean where my garrison prepares to resist bravely.

Now that new battalion in the West Indies plus an active battalion at Mobile gives me some options (I wish I'd known that Narwhal had stripped Jamaica of its garrison as I could have take that for the fun of it).

(...)

My basic plan is to sit at Mont Royal with a large army and lots of Bateaux. If Narwhal moves across Ontario I'll hit two things - his base at Oswego by a naval raid, and the force he lands by moving Montcalm and the rest.

My guess is he has the numbers but not the capacity to deliver them all, so I in effect have the advantage of a central position (which as ever is a posh way to say I'm surrounded).

Finally on Champlain, I beef up my two exposed garrisons a little ... they are probably lost but I'd like to keep them as long as possible and delay/do some damage.
Funny how our forecasts and our plans sometimes go in the same direction, and sometimes are really, really different.

Great AAR you guys have going here.

One thing I'm really enjoying - besides the explanations behind the strategies both of you are following and the info on certain game mechanics - is that you're managing to convey very well the importance of the Time dimension , the way it constrains some plans and how it can be used for others (specially when defending). Seasons did matter back then, when planing a campaigns.

Despite me knowing that from basically every book I've read about the period, it nevertheless slips my mind whenever I play the game. WiA of RoP, for that matter - I'm trying to learn both.

Keep it up!

We shall see to that 1757 will be hot in the South, while 1758 will be the year of the naval action.

I don't recall much naval action ... more the regular reports of my cannon balls sinking your ships off Louisbourg?

Funny how our forecasts and our plans sometimes go in the same direction, and sometimes are really, really different.

Given I'm making it up as I go along, I'd advise any reader to believe Narwhal's estimates not mine - I think its because in some places the geography forces a relatively clear impression of the options, in others I may either miss the obvious, or its genuinely not so easy to assess how things will play out.

Great AAR you guys have going here.

One thing I'm really enjoying - besides the explanations behind the strategies both of you are following and the info on certain game mechanics - is that you're managing to convey very well the importance of the Time dimension , the way it constrains some plans and how it can be used for others (specially when defending). Seasons did matter back then, when planing a campaigns.

Despite me knowing that from basically every book I've read about the period, it nevertheless slips my mind whenever I play the game. WiA of RoP, for that matter - I'm trying to learn both.

Keep it up!

Both games really hammer in the importance of seasonal movements. This one, for regulars in the north is a nightmare - in reality the combat season is May-October and overland regulars are slow. So I'm tending to notice that the few clashes are coming in late summer/early autumn when we've (one way or another) managed to close the gap.

One of the things I really like about the AGEOD games is by stressing the importance of transportation corridors and key blocking points, you start to realise why so many wars ended in clashes in the same regions ... with large armies you have no real choice as to where you can operate. So in that sense, you're right they have a real feel for the way that space and time worked together in the wars at the end of the eighteenth century.

April - May 1757 – Good planning, and worse planning

I ll get over with April 1757 very quickly, as the winter is surprisingly bad.

WinterisbackApril.jpg

As we say in French, ”En Avril, ne te découvre pas d’un fil.”

It is so cold that my transport will all the new militias recruited in Boston (which typically “produces” 50% to 60% of my total “recruit” force) is blocked in the port :

Militia.jpg

In March, I bought a new (small) fleet on the Ontario for 25 EP, as I am afraid the French fleet is a danger for me on it. It arrived. Here is what it looks like :

NewFleetApril.jpg

May 1757 does not see much more action, but at least I order more troops around.

Most of these orders are around the Ontario :

Multiscoutingmay.jpg

Three types of order:
- I am going to land a scout with my brand new schooner behind the French lines, to have a look at Fort Frontenac
- Meanwhile, some Indians will have a look on Montréal (I will do a Beginner’s Corner soon on Patrol / Evade, to explain how it is even possible)
- I gather some Indians on Niagara, in order to attack Fort Rouillé and then Frontenac if possible. Indians move fast enough so that moving them by boats is not very necessary (and more risky).

Depending on my scouts report (due in July – very late in the year but the winter was really bad with all moves blocked until April), I ll attack one of the 3 objectives I set.

As for the rest of my territory, it is people marching to their destinations :

- Bouquet’s force to Fort Duquesne. Expected arrival : July. One month to recover, action in August September October, then I will need to winter. Not good

BouquetstillenmarchMay.jpg

- Mockton’s force to Saint Jean. Moving by boat, so he should arrive in June, take Saint-Jean (july), load back in the boat (September), and be home in October.

SaintJean.jpg

- My Southern force at that “crossroads” between my important Southernmost cities. This way I can reach any attacked city fast enough.

Crossroad.jpg

Finally, and in complete discordance with the plan I set up two turns earlier (sometimes, I wake up with bright, new, ideas – uh), I decided to divert some troops from Fort Duquesne for an ambitious operation. I will sneak troops by bateaux down to Vincennes, where France has (I believe) no defense at all, thus creating a new “front” just like the French did in the South.

Vincennesexpedition.jpg

And also have some fun as no one ever fight in this area.

I mean – 3 months on a Bateaux with a skeletal force (I don’t want Duquesne to be too weak)and mediocre leader to take a city of which I have no idea how strongly it is protected, right in the middle of Indian territory. What could go wrong ?