• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rifal

Banned
40 Badges
Nov 30, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
CHARGE!!!

A Poland ARR

Introduction

In 1399 the nation of Poland is mostly reunited after being split between the sons of a former king. Only the duchy of Mazovia is still independent. The current king Wladyslaw II is also the ruler of the grand duchy of Lithuania. Lithuania provides much needed strategic depht against the muslim hordes in the east. To the South east lies the duchy of Moldavia, a vassal of Poland who provides Poland with limited access to the black sea.

Despite its recent unification Poland remains a heavily decentralized state where the noblility still holds much power and influene over matters of state. This however is a blessing in disguise as content nobles are more willing to contribute there personal armed forces to the defence against the ever persistent hordes.

Being a nation bordering the ever advancing hordes Poland has been forced to be rather innovative in finding ways to survive and the current king is very interested in taking further steps in this direction (Slider moved towards innovative, We look weak)

Sliders 1399

Poland despite its apperent weekness features some very competent generals including king Wladyslaw himself.

Speaking of military matters, in 1399 Poland and its subjects finds themselves in open war with the Golden horde, decendants of Djingis Khan and unparralelled horsemen. While they do not outnumber the Polish alliance they are more then capable of outfighting them.

To secure his borders while fending of the hordes King Wladyslaw sends emissaries with offers of alliances to the kingdom of Hungary, The Archduchy of Austria, The Teutonic knights and the Principallity of Muscowy. He also proposes marrige between his daughter princess Ania and the duke of Mazovia.

These treaties provide Poland with safety in the west and allows it to focus completely on the eastern hordes.
The King enslists the services of three prominent nobles to run the Nations in his absense. They are to keep Polands economy stable, make advances in landbased warfare and keep the nation together in this hard times.

On Saturday the 15th of October 1399 King Wladyslaw II leaves his castle in Krakow with 15000 men and sets course towards the lithuanian province of Podolia where scouts report horde movement. The War has begun.

What grim fate awaits the Polish men on the Eastern plains.

Find out next time.

So. My new AAR after the last one died due to technical difficulties, let me know what you think. As always advise, praise and flame, what ever you feel I deserve.

1. Awsome to see a Polish AAR! :D
2. I liked it!
3. I would say that u should not go innovativ heavy as poland in the beginning as if you take horde provinces, they will be wrong religion, the same goes for some lithuanian provinces as for one Polish province, you will need missionaries.
4. Watch out for the horde as they can come running at you with 30k+ stacks and remember that they begin with one good general.
5. Good luck and i will be watch this! :D

Looks good so far, I wonder how the war with the GH will end up? But I think that instead of allying the Teutonic Knights you should invade them later on.

1. Awsome to see a Polish AAR! :D
2. I liked it!
3. I would say that u should not go innovativ heavy as poland in the beginning as if you take horde provinces, they will be wrong religion, the same goes for some lithuanian provinces as for one Polish province, you will need missionaries.
4. Watch out for the horde as they can come running at you with 30k+ stacks and remember that they begin with one good general.
5. Good luck and i will be watch this! :D

1. Yeah im really drawn towards their underdog history.
2. Im glad to hear that
3. I go innovative because it cuts tech cost and being in the eastern tech group will only become harder the more time drags on.
4. Hopefully Lithuania will prove competent.
5. Thanks.

Looks good so far, I wonder how the war with the GH will end up? But I think that instead of allying the Teutonic Knights you should invade them later on.
I allied the knights because Bohemia refused, hopefully being allied with most of my neighbours will forstall agression by warmongering westerners

Charge!!! Chapter 1

Charge!!!
Chapter 1
War without gain

King Wladyslaw II and his 15 000 men reached Podolia in february 1400. The cold weather did not dampen the spirits of the polish men as they evicted an 11 000 men strong horde with relatively low casualties. This victory as rightfully acredited to Wladyslaws superior tactical knowledge and personal bravery. He leads his armies from the front as any true leader should.

King Wladyslaw now has two choices, pursue the horde. Or turn south and march to relieve Moldavia. He decides on the later.

However during the march a messanger arrived from Krakow with disturbing news. The duchy of Mazovia was now ruled by the Bohemian king. This greatly angered Wladyslaw as he himself had plans for the duchy, However little could be done about it now.(Mazovia forms PU with Bohemia)

On the 28th of February 1400 the duchy of Moldavia is cleared of any horde incursions and Wladyslaw decides to take up defensive positions near the Lithuanian town of Poltava. However scouts report the province of Zaporoziha as completely undefended and Wladyslaw turns his army to it as fast as possible.

During the siege New arrive from Krakow that Wladyslaws wife has given birth to a child. Poland now has an heir.

Zaporozhia falls on the 29th of August and Wladyslaw moves towards Kursk to relieve it from horde incursions. Once again Wladyslaw is highly successful in battle as he evicts another horde force with small casualties.

Wladyslaw now moves in for the kill, marching his army through lithuania occupied Voronezh and into Cherkassk. However another horde army arive led by the Golden Khan himself. Despite massive cassualties the Khan forces Wladyslaw to withdraw his forces to the west.

However Wladyslaw returns and on the 16th of September Cherkassk falls to a combined Polish, Lithuanian, Genoan force (Thats quite a force)

Wladyslaw now turns his army south towards the black sea and the province of Kouban. He is however unable to lift the hordes siege of the Province capital and his is once again forced to retreat. His army a mere shell of its former self. Two yers of campaigning in barren wastelands has claimed more lives then any battle. Morale in the army is at an alltime low and in December Wladyslaw orders a complete withdrawal of polish forces from horde territory, and in March 1402 he reaches a lackluster peace with the Horde.

The peacetime sees a trade station founded in Sieradz but not much else of interest occures. Until the 29th of August when an emissary from Hungary arrives with a request of Polish assistance agains the Principality of Wallachia and the republic of Ragusa. Wladyslaw sends 6000 men who only contribute to the war by destroying two Wallachian raiding parties.

With that Polands involvment in Hungarys war ended and Poland now looked towards a time of peace. However it was not to last. As Wladyslaw has his afternoon meal in his castle in Krakow he suddenly falls over grasping his throat and pleading for help. But it is to late, the poison has done its work. Wladyslaw II king of Poland, Lithuania and Moldavia is dead. The Lithuanians see their opportunity for independence and elect their own king. The regency council who rules during Stanislavs minority does however not aprove and refuse to acknowledge lithuania as an independent state. Nothing can be done for now however as a regency can not legaly declare war.

To be continued

Why did you lose the PU? Was it because you had 0 prestige?

yes ... and the CB does last 10 years, not enough to last over the regency ... losing Lithuania this early is really bad , they will become horde food!

The union thing was unfortunate. But if Lithuania gets beat up by the horde a bit I might be able to have a spy do the act that givs you Form union Casus belli. But for now my hands are tied.

I have actually not played the next part yet, Ill play it tomorrow and the update will probably be the day after that

You guys have no idea how tempted I was to reload

Last edited:
Charge!!!
Chapter 2

The Bohemian war of agression

When Poland was sepparated from Lithuania with the election of an independent Lithuanian king Polands western neighbour senses weakness and a chance to expand.

An official warning arives in the halls of the polish regency council in April 1403. The council emideatly orders all Polish forces to move to the Bohemian border and prepare defences.

The official declaration of war arrives on the 21th of July 1403

However it seems the Bohemians have made an enourmous blunder as all of Polands allies honours the call and from day 1 Bohemias defeat is assured.

The polish army under Zyndram z Maszkowic attempts a swift attack into Breslau and the battle goes well untill Bohemian reinforcements arrive and the Poles are forced to retreat.

Zyndram does not fair much better in the following battle in Sieradz and he once again retreats, this time to Mazovia where 14 000 teutonic soldiers are sieging Warsaw. The Bohemians do not dare to pursue.

This gives Poland time to bolster its army and launch a furious counteroffensive, The Bohemian army has split in two to cover more ground and Zyndram siezes his opportunity and in the second battle of Sieradz he cruches the Bohemian army.

This is rapidly followed by a combined Polish-Lithuanian victory in Kalisz. Despite the view of the Lithuanians as traitors among the Polish nobles the battle is a massive success and is shortly followed by a peace treaty.

United we stand, Again
With the Prestige gaines from defeating a superior foe the Polish nobles reaserts Stanislaws rightful claim to the Lithuanian throne and a year and a half later the Lithuanian king dies without a proper heir. The Lithuanian nobles pledge their unvavering loyalty to a now 5 year old Stanislaw

After the defeat of Bohemia Polands armies saw a great reduction in their upkeep, many soldiers went unpaid and officers went on half sallary. However in 1406 the peasents of Poland has enough of the opressive regency council. Revolts are commonplace and several churches and castles are looted and burned in protest. The Polish army now finds renewed purpose. All soldiers are promised full payment and extra rewards for the capure of revolt leaders. Poland enters an era of Peasent war.

To be continued.

Last edited:
A Peasant war? Fitting for Poland, if only a little early. And good luck with Lithuania, and here's hoping you inherit them before they break free again!

Nice job handling Bohemia and mighty kind of you to let Austria have some of the spoils of war. :)

Yeah I figured they deserved it as without them I would have been very hard pressed to survive. And it can never hurt to have Austria as a friend, right?