Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 85

Thread: **** Forum User Agreement & Rules ****

  1. #41
    10+ Years on the Forum Demi Moderator SAS's Avatar
    94 games registered

    94

    200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEast India Company CollectionFor the MotherlandGalactic AssaultGettysburg
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourIron CrossThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Call to arms event
    Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder WizardWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Ancient SpaceCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Icon Collecting
    Posts
    6,438
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am amazed how much speculation the "new" rules have generated. Just post what you would be ok with your mom reading and use common sense. But they are much easier to read now, thanks Admin.
    - March of the Eagles mod: The Gods

    - When I speak in Cyan its as a Demi-Moderator. Please review the following links: FAQ / Forum Rules / General Usage

  2. #42
    Modding Paladin RedRooster81's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Castle of Aaaggggggh
    Posts
    5,635
    It's been there from the beginning, but posting them like this encourages some public discussion. That's all. At least for me.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRooster81 View Post
    It's been there from the beginning, but posting them like this encourages some public discussion. That's all. At least for me.
    Ack. I haven't been aware of the rules that well, presuming they were more general netiquette-rules that apply to most internet-forums. However, I wasn't aware of the broad claim on the copyright of my posts. This does have some serious effect on me continuing (or starting) AARs, which I will have to think hard about.

  4. #44
    Paradox Interactive
    Wizard Warrior
    Fredrik II's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyMajesty 2
    Victoria 2

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by the_turtle View Post
    Ack. I haven't been aware of the rules that well, presuming they were more general netiquette-rules that apply to most internet-forums. However, I wasn't aware of the broad claim on the copyright of my posts. This does have some serious effect on me continuing (or starting) AARs, which I will have to think hard about.
    We do not intend to take any information as is and use it for our own purposes. However, this is our legal protection if we happen to use things that have been mentioned in threads on the forum. As someone pointed out the rule has been in there since the start and our general policy of use has not changed.

    We have also allowed several AAR writers (who wanted to use Paradox trademarks) who asked specifically if they could use their AARs for different purposes.
    Twitter - The Wester Front
    Paradox Youtube Channel

    fredrik [at] paradoxplaza [dot] com

  5. #45
    The hated one
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    looking for an avatar that is "in line with general guidelines" ;)
    Posts
    5,234
    {No External Links} uhm i cant link to my mp hoi3 forum?

    do i have to remove these below? thats gonna be pretty hard to gather mp people.. :/
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Sea and Air Leader Efficiency
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Land Leader Efficiency
    HOI 2 - FAQ vDEMO on Land Leader Efficiency

  6. #46
    Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

    90

    200k club500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    39,352
    First 3 are okay, although I don't think the Europa links work anymore, you need to change those to Paradoxplaza.
    The bottom 3 you need to remove. Gather the MP people in the Paradox MP forums, that is why we have them.
    We have just encountered too many problems with allowing links to especially 3rd party forums that are designed for subset and clichés of our members.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

  7. #47
    Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

    90

    200k club500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    39,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik II View Post
    We do not intend to take any information as is and use it for our own purposes. However, this is our legal protection if we happen to use things that have been mentioned in threads on the forum. As someone pointed out the rule has been in there since the start and our general policy of use has not changed.

    We have also allowed several AAR writers (who wanted to use Paradox trademarks) who asked specifically if they could use their AARs for different purposes.
    You see you can pretty much count on Fred to be a reasonable guy, the same does not hold true for "Random Internet poster", which is why the rule is written the way it is.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik II View Post
    We do not intend to take any information as is and use it for our own purposes. However, this is our legal protection if we happen to use things that have been mentioned in threads on the forum. As someone pointed out the rule has been in there since the start and our general policy of use has not changed.

    We have also allowed several AAR writers (who wanted to use Paradox trademarks) who asked specifically if they could use their AARs for different purposes.
    Thanks for the clarification. From the general atmosphere in the forums and the way you guys interact with the community, this is what I had generally assumed to be the Paradox working line.

    I think it is good though to think before making a conscious decision about things, rather than face consequences you wouldn't have wanted later on.

    Thanks again!

  9. #49
    The hated one
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    looking for an avatar that is "in line with general guidelines" ;)
    Posts
    5,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Castellon View Post
    First 3 are okay, although I don't think the Europa links work anymore, you need to change those to Paradoxplaza.
    The bottom 3 you need to remove. Gather the MP people in the Paradox MP forums, that is why we have them.
    We have just encountered too many problems with allowing links to especially 3rd party forums that are designed for subset and clichés of our members.
    I assumed its for leaking PR and SEO, but seems im wrong - but if it is, then linking to pages on topic with paradox forum is good.

    Anyways is it better now? not in the form of a link ? Im sorry to say but the mp forum just is too hard to keep in order if we have a couple of games and we want to keep communication clear.. although we do recruit and post on the boards its much easier to do anything when you have full control of posting ability.

    if the above is stilll not ok let me know and ill remove it. the rest work ok from what i see.
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Sea and Air Leader Efficiency
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Land Leader Efficiency
    HOI 2 - FAQ vDEMO on Land Leader Efficiency

  10. #50
    Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

    90

    200k club500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    39,352
    Nope you are just attempting to get around the rule there.
    No linking means no posting links, however you want to phrase them so they don't show up that way.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

  11. #51
    The hated one
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    looking for an avatar that is "in line with general guidelines" ;)
    Posts
    5,234
    really unhappy with this - think most ppl are not aware as all of your game's mp forums have such links... no to mention links to wiki or historic resources on the net when discussing historic stuff....

    so now when you want to point something out about the build of a tiger you cant copy the text from the page that its on as its copywrited and you cant post a link to it what are u to say? PM me for the link?? Can you clarify this? maybe i should move this conversation to PM?
    Last edited by Fiendix; 30-06-2011 at 12:52.
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Sea and Air Leader Efficiency
    HOI - FAQ v1.06c on Land Leader Efficiency
    HOI 2 - FAQ vDEMO on Land Leader Efficiency

  12. #52
    What a silly rule. So you can't even paste an address here even if it is not an actual link?

  13. #53
    Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

    90

    200k club500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    39,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendix View Post
    really unhappy with this - think most ppl are not aware as all of your game's mp forums have such links... no to mention links to wiki or historic resources on the net when discussing historic stuff....

    so now when you want to point something out about the build of a tiger you cant copy the text from the page that its on as its copywrited and you cant post a link to it what are u to say? PM me for the link?? Can you clarify this? maybe i should move this conversation to PM?
    Feel free to PM me with any questions as well.
    Links to a wiki site without a user forum composed mainly of our members is fine.
    Links to news articles from legitimate news organizations is fine.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

  14. #54
    Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

    90

    200k club500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    39,352
    Quote Originally Posted by sbr View Post
    What a silly rule. So you can't even paste an address here even if it is not an actual link?
    Thank-you for your opinion, our opinion of course differers, we do not make up rules at random, we have reasons for each of them.
    -See how I followed rule #3 there.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

  15. #55
    General Hibernian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,165
    You can't make any external links? So if I'm in a historical discussion about say... the First World War and I want to link to the Wikipedia article to show something (Like this: World War I) I'm not allowed to?

    I doubt anyone is going to follow a rule like that, good luck enforcing it.

  16. #56
    Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

    90

    200k club500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    39,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    You can't make any external links? So if I'm in a historical discussion about say... the First World War and I want to link to the Wikipedia article to show something (Like this: World War I) I'm not allowed to?

    I doubt anyone is going to follow a rule like that, good luck enforcing it.
    Oh I have no doubts on the staffs ability to enforce any of these rules. However Wiki links are okay as I mention just 2 posts above yours.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

  17. #57
    Everyone's Comrade th3freakie's Avatar
    For The Glory

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lisboa, Treaty City
    Posts
    5,364
    Blog Entries
    23
    5. {Post On Topic} You will only post messages that are within the particular forum’s scope or topic. You will use descriptive subject titles when posting new threads. You will not hijack threads for your own purpose but, rather, will begin a new thread with the new subject. Except for the specially designated "other language" forums all posts are to be in English as that is the common language of the Moderators.
    Twisted-And-Confusing-Thread-Titles-Which-Make-Sense-Anyway-Well-Sorta-Kinda were some of my best creations in this place!

  18. #58
    Colonel Diet of Worms's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home of Perfidy
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik II View Post
    We do not intend to take any information as is and use it for our own purposes. However, this is our legal protection if we happen to use things that have been mentioned in threads on the forum. As someone pointed out the rule has been in there since the start and our general policy of use has not changed.

    We have also allowed several AAR writers (who wanted to use Paradox trademarks) who asked specifically if they could use their AARs for different purposes.
    Could this not be accomplished by something along the lines of: "Paradox has a worldwide, irrevocable and perpetual license to all material... etc. etc."

    I'm no lawyer, certainly not a Swedish one, but I did at one point read a lot of Groklaw... I'm pretty sure the actual assignment of copyright by forum Ts&Cs would be impossible under US law - a specific written instrument would be needed to transfer a copyright that was not created as a work for hire. I was under the impression this came from the Bern Convention.

    I know this is something of a nitpick - I realise you aren't trying to do anything under hand and I'm not trying to be purposefully annoying. But surely there is something wrong with the idea that an AAR writer would need a license from Paradox to distribute their own work (in a case where no actual Paradox authored intellectual property was involved)?

    More to the point, there doesn't seem to be anything else about copyright beyond the assertion of Paradox's ownership. If this was invalid in some jurisdictions, would Paradox still have any sort of explicit license to it?

  19. #59
    Paradox Forum Manager Administrator Castellon's Avatar
    90 games registered

    90

    200k club500k club

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    39,352
    Hi, we do not intend to argue legal cases on this forum.
    These are the rules and the terms of service under which the board operates.
    I have been dealt a good hand in life, now I am just looking for a few more cards!

  20. #60
    Usermod Coordinator Paradox Dev Team Captain Gars's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindSengoku

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    5,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Diet of Worms View Post
    Could this not be accomplished by something along the lines of: "Paradox has a worldwide, irrevocable and perpetual license to all material... etc. etc."

    I'm no lawyer, certainly not a Swedish one, but I did at one point read a lot of Groklaw... I'm pretty sure the actual assignment of copyright by forum Ts&Cs would be impossible under US law - a specific written instrument would be needed to transfer a copyright that was not created as a work for hire. I was under the impression this came from the Bern Convention.

    I know this is something of a nitpick - I realise you aren't trying to do anything under hand and I'm not trying to be purposefully annoying. But surely there is something wrong with the idea that an AAR writer would need a license from Paradox to distribute their own work (in a case where no actual Paradox authored intellectual property was involved)?

    More to the point, there doesn't seem to be anything else about copyright beyond the assertion of Paradox's ownership. If this was invalid in some jurisdictions, would Paradox still have any sort of explicit license to it?
    Film production companies (especially in the US) do something similar to protect themselves. If you want to send them anything you need to sign a waiver basically saying that if anything similar (or exactly like it) would show up in anything they produce you can't sue them.
    "I don't want to know or hear anything about neutrality. This is a fight between God and the devil. If he wants to side with God, then he has to join me. If he prefers to side with the devil, then indeed he must fight me. There is no third way."

    Senior Scripter & Usermod Coordinator

    (DON'T PM ME ABOUT MODDING ISSUES - THERE ARE SUBFORUMS FOR THAT)


    ~ Ivan Turina ~

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts