Thread: I like the pacing

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2War of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I like the pacing

Just want to bring some balance.

An in depth game should be slow. the actual processing time is small compared to the amount of time spent in between pressing the button.

One turn a night is plenty for me during the week.

Whats the rush?

One turn a night x 1680 = 4.61 years to play a single CG.

Most people would find this too slow.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2War of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

one turn during the week. more at the weekend. agree that 5 yrs is a while, especially since i normally mess up a first game.

Well, I'm playing about a year a day, since I've got past the slowness of the first year. Only takes me a few hours (While I'm doing other stuff).
    I figure I should be done by December at the latest, although I'll probably restart when the new patch comes out so I can do it the "right" way.
    MJL
    The New Glory of France, a PON Beta AAR:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...a-Version-1.02

Quote Originally Posted by montgomeryjlion View Post
    Well, I'm playing about a year a day, since I've got past the slowness of the first year. Only takes me a few hours (While I'm doing other stuff).
    I figure I should be done by December at the latest, although I'll probably restart when the new patch comes out so I can do it the "right" way.
    That's the point. You're playing a few hours per day. Most people have one to two hours a day to spend into gaming. And yet, december 2011...The game is new, and bright when not broken, but how do you feel once the charm of the the learning process will have disappeared...
    Clovis in an old life

Monsabert here, since 2002.

Not disagreeing with you, just stating my own experiences.
    I think we all figured out very early that to play the entire campaign from beginning to finish was probably not going to happen.
    I for one am looking forward to other start dates.
    Nevertheless, I am enjoying myself.
    MJL

Not disagreeing with you, just stating my own experiences.
    I think we all figured out very early that to play the entire campaign from beginning to finish was probably not going to happen.
    I for one am looking forward to other start dates.
    Nevertheless, I am enjoying myself.
    Of course. Now to be patched a game has to be popular. Implementing a choice between 15 days and one months turns, offering shorter campaigns and reducing time needed for turn resolution are among the possible actions. But whatever the choice made, something has to be done, or PON will remain the journey of a too small minority to support the game future in business terms.
    Clovis in an old life

Again, agreed.
    I think it's very important to discuss pacing issues.
    Making economic decisions every 3 months, same thing with Colonies.
    These are all legitimate and important issues.
    In the end, the Phil's (And Paradox) need to decide what is doable.
    But we as a community need to work with them.
    I think in the end it would be great to just run with 3 month turns until a war breaks out then drop into 2 week turns, but how doable that is is the issue.
    MJL

Again, agreed.
    I think it's very important to discuss pacing issues.
    Making economic decisions every 3 months, same thing with Colonies.
    These are all legitimate and important issues.
    In the end, the Phil's (And Paradox) need to decide what is doable.
    But we as a community need to work with them.
    I think in the end it would be great to just run with 3 month turns until a war breaks out then drop into 2 week turns, but how doable that is is the issue.
    Little secret: I proposed this one year ago, but it was replied the AGE engine couldn't cope with...
    Clovis in an old life

Quote Originally Posted by Monsabert View Post
    Little secret: I proposed this one year ago, but it was replied the AGE engine couldn't cope with...
    Wait. I see something like this in Revolution Under Siege, or i am wrong?
    "Mao - on umudohal millioni!"
    - V.Sorokin

Red Paradoxians

Play "War in the Pacific"(Matrix wargames)it will take over 4 years with one day turns. I did it and so has many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorlend View Post
    Wait. I see something like this in Revolution Under Siege, or i am wrong?
    you're wrong. Regional decisions ( I suppose you're refering to this) are the equivalent ( and the same engine feature) than colonial decisions in PON. They produce results after some 15 weeks turns. Imagine you're changing to one month: you have to divide the turns needed by 2. But you may undertake a RGD any 15 days turn...
    Last edited by Monsabert; 25-06-2011 at 00:43.
    Clovis in an old life

Quote Originally Posted by razorbackjac View Post
    Play "War in the Pacific"(Matrix wargames)it will take over 4 years with one day turns. I did it and so has many more.
    yes and WITP AE is sold 60$. And between WITP And WITP AE, 2by3 has released WITP Plan Orange, WTBS ( civil war), a strategical game on WW2, these sort of things which helps financially...I don't discuss some like neverending games, others like beginning games without achieving it. But most games and players seems to like the third options: play a game from the start to the end in a few months at worst. Now, if I'm wrong and anyone wants to spend the 3 next years to play Japan before at least trying Prussia why not? But in this case, Devs have all the time needed to release new minor Nations. Belgium could be added in 2013, and Brazil the following year :-)
    Last edited by Monsabert; 25-06-2011 at 00:44.
    Clovis in an old life

Quote Originally Posted by razorbackjac View Post
    In WITP AE i actualy spend more time planning my turn than waiting turn resolution. And how much time i spend in external planning applications...
    "Mao - on umudohal millioni!"
    - V.Sorokin

Red Paradoxians

First Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by gimpli View Post

An in depth game should be slow. the actual processing time is small compared to the amount of time spent in between pressing the button.
    .Takes less than a minute to set the orders for 95% of my turns sadly...

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well I like the pacing the way it is... maybe that makes me into a minorty from reading what people post on threads. I will pretty much only play GC... but I think one thing to help with pacing could be (and yes I know this is a lot) to make every country playable, and have about 30 start dates. Yes I said it. Yes I know it is a lot. Yes I know it would take forever to implement. But you know what, I think turning the game into 2 or 3 month turns would take just as long to rebalance. I would prefer to keep the game the way it is and balance it and make it better. Because the one thing I hate most about paradox games is... they end. I HATE that they end. I played EU3 Divine Wind as England, spent the whole time from the start date pushing my borders. I had all of western europe, north america, south america, africa, pacific islands, and siberia. Just when I was about to push into Asia and east europe and make an utterly impropable (but completely enjoyable) worldwide birtish empire, the game ended... and I cried (metaphorically). That was my first and last game of divine wind.

I am hereby proposing Operation: INFINITY/30. All nations playable/30 start dates. People complain because they don't want to play for 4.5 years? No problem, choose when you want to start, and who you to start as. Having pacing in a game like this with only 5 start dates (I think it's 5?) is ridiculous, I agree. And yes, I also agree making 30 start dates is also a lot of work... but I think it would be less work than re-working the entire game engine and thereby balancing... then you are just creating another game that just ends...

Want to help the Russian Proletariat? Or push them back down? No problem, Soviet revolution start date... etc. etc...

What do you guys think? Please don't just hate.
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting... but never hit soft."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Admiral of the Ocean Blue brisduv's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Monsabert View Post
    yes and WITP AE is sold 60$. And between WITP And WITP AE, 2by3 has released WITP Plan Orange, WTBS ( civil war), a strategical game on WW2, these sort of things which helps financially...I don't discuss some like neverending games, others like beginning games without achieving it. But most games and players seems to like the third options: play a game from the start to the end in a few months at worst. Now, if I'm wrong and anyone wants to spend the 3 next years to play Japan before at least trying Prussia why not? But in this case, Devs have all the time needed to release new minor Nations. Belgium could be added in 2013, and Brazil the following year :-)
    I own the WITP original and never liked the 1 week turns as it made the game too long IMO, probably why I never bought WITP AE (and the $60 for what is a glorified expansion). Did they really go to 1 day turns? CRAZY!

As for this game, $19.95 is a bargin for a game of this scope and attention to detail. If I see that the turn length and diplomacy issues are fixed, I'll buy it. Until then I fill my time with HOI3 and non-wargames.
    “War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say give them all they want.” - William Tecumseh Sherman

Currently reading: The Ottoman Centuries: The Rise and Fall of the Turkish Empire - Lord Kinross; Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath - John Toland