• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Could someone please explain the differences between colonial, core and non-core provinces? What benefits does a core provide over a non-core? And the same question for states over colonies.

I once had a core on a colonial possession... That was odd.

Afaik a core just allows you to take the province back without an infamy cost. I don't believe it affects the province's economy any.

Could someone please explain the differences between colonial, core and non-core provinces? What benefits does a core provide over a non-core? And the same question for states over colonies.

I once had a core on a colonial possession... That was odd.

Think of core being a province that your nation has a vested interest in. They'll get their war mongers up in arms to get it back (including DOW at 0 infamy). A non-core, just consider it a conquest, and it is likely someone else's core ... so they are going to try and get it back.

And states you can build factories. Colonies you can't.

Tariffs: How do they effect your pops? I understand how they protect the domestic economy, but I remember reading somewhere that the middle class pops take a beating.

Tariffs: How do they effect your pops? I understand how they protect the domestic economy, but I remember reading somewhere that the middle class pops take a beating.

Artisans can take a massive beating because they often make exotic things your factories don't. Anybody that needs a lot of imports (Clergy especially) is going to be hard hit by tariffs.

Tariffs apply to world market
Pops and factories buy the stuff they need from internal market/SoI first, then from world market.
If everything they need is provided by internal market/SoI, then tariffs do nothing.
Now, tariffs can make some products way more costly(or cheaper) than they are.

Factories/artisans can have a very hard time making any profit if they have to buy input from world market with high tariffs...On the other side, negative tariffs can help them (but cost money to you).
Worse, if your whole pop have to buy some needed stuff (wheat, cow, fish...) from world market with high tariffs, you could broke all of your people...not good at all in the long run...again negative tariffs can help...at some price.

In my current Germany game, I have a HM government, passed all social and political reforms, but still I get a lot of emigration to the new world democracies and not a single immigrant. In earlier games I did manage to get immigration going even as an old world monarchy. Was this changed in the latest beta? Or is it because of my high infamy (~125)?

In my current Germany game, I have a HM government, passed all social and political reforms, but still I get a lot of emigration to the new world democracies and not a single immigrant. In earlier games I did manage to get immigration going even as an old world monarchy. Was this changed in the latest beta? Or is it because of my high infamy (~125)?

Probably 70% your infamy/30% new world democracy bonus.

Would like an answer.

Early game, Cement is a good factory to have, as well as Steel and Lumber. It's hard to give you specific advice because every game's economy is a little different. I usually leave as much factory building to my capitalists as possible, and "correct" them for specific factories. Steamer Shipyards tend to stay profitable throughout the game; clipper shipyards will start to die around the middle of the century.

Question of my own. If, in PC or HM's government, the people elect one party and I manually appoint another, is there any effect?

How can I add a Wargoal in a war started by an ally? It keeps stating that the war is not going well enough (it was quite a stalemate, I had to peace out), but apart from the specific case, how high should the percentage of victory be?

How can I add a Wargoal in a war started by an ally? It keeps stating that the war is not going well enough (it was quite a stalemate, I had to peace out), but apart from the specific case, how high should the percentage of victory be?

1% is sufficient to add a war goal. Do remember, however, that if you are not war leader, the ally can easily decide not to ask for your war goal and YOU get stuck with the MIL and prestige hit ;)

Strange, we were at about 3% (for the most part given by my blockades and victories in Northern Italy). But I cannot add "Free Lombardy" as TS. Maybe it's because it was a "liberation" war from the start?

Strange, we were at about 3% (for the most part given by my blockades and victories in Northern Italy). But I cannot add "Free Lombardy" as TS. Maybe it's because it was a "liberation" war from the start?

I'm not sure; if the war involves a "Status Quo" or "containment" war goal, however, you cannot add any additional war goals.

Can the various rebels (communist, fascist, anarcho-liberal etc.) actually win against an opponent that intends to beat them? It seems a bit wrong that I have to let them win all the time if I want to change government. I want to be overpowered at some point,.