• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
-How do you help fullfill your POPs needs?

-How do inputs get transported to factories? Meaning, is it better to build, say, a cement factory in a heavily populated area so they get more workers or in a medium populated area but that produces coal?

-How do you help fullfill your POPs needs?
They need enough cash and you need access to the stuff they need in the world market or produce them yourself. Thus lessening taxes / increasing their pay (military spending for soldiers and officers, administrative spending for b*crats and education for clergy) help them have more money. Having countries in your sphere of influence and/or having high prestige help securing stuff from the market.
-How do inputs get transported to factories? Meaning, is it better to build, say, a cement factory in a heavily populated area so they get more workers or in a medium populated area but that produces coal?
They are just there. So for your factory the only thing that matters is availability of workforce.
Please note that a few types of factory can only be build in states that have their input right there, for example steel factory and lumber factory.

Is there any way to mod your game so that freed states have a variable main and acceptable cultures?
I think there is no way of doing that. And rightly so. In this period countries claimed sovereignty over lands where non of their people lived. Think about the colonies. One of the challenges some nation face is to attract/assimilate enough of their own culture to get along. Think about the multi ethnic Austrian Empire, or the boer states in South Africa.

However, you can mod any accepted culture in for your own game and fun.

Thanks. What exactly is it that determines how many brigades your soldiers can support? I had about 4000 soldiers but couldn't support a single brigade, and after following your advice I quickly got 8000 and 3 possible brigades.

By techs do you mean those inventions? I started with about 305k "male adults" and that declined to 260k within the first 10 years, but I remembered I killed of a bunch of sick people at a point (20-30k probably) so the decline isn't as dramatic as I first thought, and it seems to have leveled out now.

A POP of 1000 supports 1, 3000 supports 2 and each extra 3000 gives an extra brigade.

The liberal revolutions events force up your CON, and European POPs with high CON run for the Americas. You won't be able to keep your CON down for long while that event series runs, but once it is over you need to keep CON under control to avoid losing serious amounts of emigration (under 4 is good, over 6 is bad)

What is the national stockpile slider responsible for? Is it "upkeep" for the goods that I've already bought on the world market, or is it showing how much it costs to buy the goods on the world market in the first place? Should I just set it to 0 at peacetime?

Victoria2_onlinemanual_English_EU.pdf says,
When the term of the Loan comes due, you must either pay it back, or extend the Loan (if you can).

1. When is the due date of my 'given loan' for other countries? (or even 'taken loan' for me?) Where can I see the repay schedule of it?
2. What is the term of bankruptcy? How can I know the dooms day?

Victoria 2 AHD 2.21b

Give some tip for newbie please.
Thank you.

What is the national stockpile slider responsible for? Is it "upkeep" for the goods that I've already bought on the world market, or is it showing how much it costs to buy the goods on the world market in the first place? Should I just set it to 0 at peacetime?

All government purchases. The goods to build and maintain your military. The goods to build forts and naval bases. The goods to build any railways and factories that you rather than your capitalists build. If you set it to 0 in peacetime you won't be able to build anything (you would order it, but the goods to start construction would never get bought), and your military will surrender to the first rebel that sneezes on them. I'd need to be extremely strapped for cash before I pushed it that last point from 1% to 0, but early game I do often have it in the 1-10% range. You need to play with the trade settings too, to get the best effect. If you just want to stop spending on military, often the best way is to manually set the trade in key military goods to a miniscule buy order.

The liberal revolutions events force up your CON, and European POPs with high CON run for the Americas. You won't be able to keep your CON down for long while that event series runs, but once it is over you need to keep CON under control to avoid losing serious amounts of emigration (under 4 is good, over 6 is bad)

My Avg. CON is now at 10 for Serbia, and it's late 1890s. But I did everything I could have done, always selecting Militancy over CON when I got an Event choice.

So how else do you keep CON down? Beat it out of the POPs?

There are requirement for...

your Military Supply - This provides new Small Arms and other Goods they need to replace old or worn out equipment. Without this replenishment of equipment, your units will become less effective. Only half as much is required in maintenance during peacetime.

and also National Stockpile - If you met the target amount, no more money need unless you use them...and remember that military supply like Small Arms and other Goods are also elements of national stockpile.

Now, the point. Actually there are two meanings of the slider.

1. % Budget of Military Supply
2. 'Buying speed' of your National Stockpile up to the target amount.

First, about military supply, if you set 100% of national stockpile slider, they will get same amount of your army's consumption from national stockpile and your national stockpile manager(?) will order exact same amount to the world market because they have to maintain their target amount.

Second, about national stockpile, if you manage some kinds of national stockpile yourself(100 of steel for railroads someday for example), they will buy up and maintain 100 at first. And if you construct railroad(-100 steel), and if your national stockpile slider setting is 100%, you will order immediately 100 steel to the world market. guess what? you need very much money at once. You could even bankrupt because of huge amount of minus budget. So when you met your target amount of national stockpile, you can reduce slider(buying speed of national stockpile). Even if you construct something, you will buy more slowly, so you don't spike world price of steel and also guarantee your healthy balance sheet.

Last edited:
So it's best to put it at what? 10%?

There are no best value. (If there are, why they made it slider? Maybe the radio button is way better...:D)

At war, usually High Value for your combat efficiency.
At peacetime, gathering stockpile for the future? right after construction? need some kind of Goods immediately? have to get superiority some kind of Goods from your competitors? too expensive goods, so afraid of spiking world price? etc...etc...case-by-case.

You have to decide every time every case.

Is there any way to mod your game so that freed states have a variable main and acceptable cultures?

For example, release Cali republic from Mexico at the start of the game, there are no Yankees or Dixies in the country at all. Suddenly there are 0 people in your nation that are accepted, just mexicans and native american minors. Would be nice if the dominant (not accepted) for nations would atleast be accepted, if not main.

I know, but when a country that has no real dominate culture that exists in the game, like the California republic, its just odd. It suddenly goes from being Mexican controlled to having yankee and dixie as the only acceptable pops when there are NONE in the nation, at all, cant even get them to emigrate there. I'm finding myself choosing the options that PO dominate culture just because there are none to get POed about it.

It would be like... lets say england forces Russia to release Poland, and Poland didn't allow for Polish to be a main culture

Last edited:
1.) What are the benefits of acquiring colonies? As far as I am aware, I'm not able to press-gang the natives of the land into my factories and make them work, helping to bolster my industrialisation, even when I am a slave state. There is also the major hassle of attracting beuracrats to your colony to turn it into a state; so what are the positives?

2.) An extension of number 1; what exactly do slaves do? It appaers to me that they work in farmer and labourer areas in RGOs, but what separates them from their non-enslaved counterparts?

3.) How many factories is good to start off with? Should I be aiming to build an equal amount in all my states, or start in my most populous and work my way outwards?

4.) Finally, is it more important to get craftsman first the gain an early start on industrialising, or to get clergy to educate the populace first?

1.) What are the benefits of acquiring colonies? As far as I am aware, I'm not able to press-gang the natives of the land into my factories and make them work, helping to bolster my industrialisation, even when I am a slave state. There is also the major hassle of attracting beuracrats to your colony to turn it into a state; so what are the positives?

Dunno about the rest but colonies give you more manpower for soldiers and whatnot, prestige, and more land for industrialization. gotta make it a state before you can build factories there

Also raw materials (rubber, oil, exotic wood) and a captive market for your factory produced consumer goods

Why are many of my Middle Class strata's needs never fullfilled, even with low taxes and tarrifs?

They probably don't have access to certain goods on the world market. To check which, mouse over the POP's needs glasses, it will highlight those they haven't bought in red. You'll need to either acquire more prestige or conquer or sphere provinces producing those goods to give yourself priority over other nations on the world market.

Thanks. Another question; what is the most efficient way to build factories? Use craftsmen national focus and then build 8 of them in your most populated province, right? And do I keep the national focus there until the factories are full, or will POPs promote themselves automatically if the wages are good? If I don't use the national focus, will craftsmen never automatically promote?

Thanks. Another question; what is the most efficient way to build factories? Use craftsmen national focus and then build 8 of them in your most populated province, right? And do I keep the national focus there until the factories are full, or will POPs promote themselves automatically if the wages are good? If I don't use the national focus, will craftsmen never automatically promote?

Even though you don't focusing on craftsmen, they still promote or demote. Efficient way to build factories is too complicated to explain simply. You may have to read strategy guide about this. Anyway 8 factories in 1 state is not mandatory. You can build them state by state. Factory will stimulate promotion of POPs because they create jobs. But as I said (and more than I said), there are pretty complicated elements about this.