• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My question: What do pan nationalist rebels do when they win? Do they somehow force you to become the unified version of your country?

If pan-nationalists win in a country in a sphere, and its sphere-leader is of the same culture (eg. Hanover in Prussia's sphere) then the sphere leader gets the "Crown from the Gutter" even where they can choose to form the cultural union (in this case Germany) and annex all other countries in that union (eg. Hesse-Darmstadt, Austria, Baden). If they are in a different sphere, or none, then they just enforce some reforms.

Romania is a special case - if pan-Romanians succeed in Moldavia or Wallachia, one annexes the other and Romania is formed.

I'm am sorry but that is incorrect, the system works as follows:

Planned Economy: Only you can build factories
State Capitalism: You can build factories, but so can the capitalists
Interventionism: Only capitalists can build factories, but you can invest in their projects (if you have AHD) and build railroads.
Laissez Faire: You cant do shit

Being a great power has nothing to do with whether or not you can build factories, if you couldn't build them with a State capitalist government, then you did something wrong.
Oh wow, I completely forget about Planned Economy, and that's why I got mixed up, thanks.

Ok, how the heck does army and navy orginization work?

Every game I play I have all the money going to the military that the slider will allow and as much in the stockpile as I can afford to do without going into the red. I reserarch org techs but regardless, even sitting in a port or in a owned province for years the org NEVER goes up. Yet I fight against england and there mass producing ships that seem to instantly get max org level the moment they appear. If I am doing something wrong I have no idea what it is.

Also, what did AHD do to the combat system, because I am loosing (probably because of the org) when I have superior numbers of superior men against significantly less numbers and men (like 35000 guards, arty, and cav against 15000 infantry). I

I am also running into a problem where my men just WONT reinforce. I had a group of 7 divisions that had been knocked down to almost zero. I put them in my most populated core province to sit, a year or two later I looked and they got enough to go from 0.0 to 0.5...

Is there something else that affects a POP's Dominant Issues besides what appears in the tooltip? If I'm not misunderstanding the math, on average the total bonus in the tooltip should be equal to the percent of that issue being dominant with a certain POP, however that is not the case.

edit: I'll add another question from the same screen. What does Promotion Factors and Demotion Factors mean? Also, how are the immigration/promotion/demotion numbers calculated? I can't get the same numbers by adding up the tooltips.

Last edited:
edit: I'll add another question from the same screen. What does Promotion Factors and Demotion Factors mean? Also, how are the immigration/promotion/demotion numbers calculated? I can't get the same numbers by adding up the tooltips.

You need to look in the pop_types files (including in the common folder) rather than just the tooltips. The tooltips only tell part of the story and some of that they get wrong.

One set is the distribution between the possible destination professions. e.g. if soldiers are 5% and craftsmen are 15% and thats all, then 3 months in 4 a promoting farmer will turn into a craftsmen. These you will find in the relevant profession file in the pop_type folder.

The other is factors affecting the rate. These you will find in the pop_type file in the common folder.

One set is the distribution between the possible destination professions. e.g. if soldiers are 5% and craftsmen are 15% and thats all, then 3 months in 4 a promoting farmer will turn into a craftsmen. These you will find in the relevant profession file in the pop_type folder.

I actually did look at both of these files. I understand that the file in the common folder has the formulas for the chance of any pop to migrate/promote/demote and the specific ones at pop_type folder have the formulas for which kind of POP the pop will be promoting/demoting to (same for ideologies). The tooltips are actually in sync with what those files say but I don't understand how the combined value from the tooltips is affecting the actual results. I understand that the general promotion/demotion/migration formula is the same for all pop types and works my MTTH but what is the actual definition of the number I get from tooltips? Is it the X in mean_time_to_happen in days? Or months? Something else maybe? Also, I still have no idea what "Demotion/Promotion Factors" (which appears at the top of the general promotion/demotion tooltip and varies from 0% to 2500%) means.

Another perhaps unintuitive presentation is in the percentages shown next to POP types that a possible pop can promote/demote too. How should I read these numbers? Taking your example, if I only have soldiers and craftsmen as possibilities, shouldn't they read 33% and 66% respectively? Do these numbers mean that on average X% of the pops will promote/demote to a certain pop type per month?

It would need another layer of calculation to change them to 33 and 66%, but that is effectively what they are. What you get to see is the reasons why they end up like that. They have nothing to do with the rate which is your 0 to 2500% number.

Its crap like this. Russia manages to form and hold an army with a str of 30 in the middle of ALASKA at full org without it taking ANY kind of attrition when my army of freaking 9, in my own core territory up there, looses men like there walking through the north pole.

Every since AHD I am noticing a SERIOUS advantage on the side of the AI when it comes to combat and battles.

Its to the point where I dont even want to play the game anymore. The AI gets alliances that are almost impossible for the player. AI joins other AI nations in wars, offensive and defensive, where they would never for the player, and now the combat system is favoring them significantly.