• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is a puppet government?

A puppet government allows you to make use of a countries military strength as your own and control their politics. This is useful for beating down secondary powers who won't submit to you with an obligatory alliance after you've pulled them into your SOE. You don't get any additional taxes, but they are drawn into pretty much every war you want unless you are battling against the owner of their SOE. ((Which is why it's important you make someone your puppet AND sphere them afterwards.))

My turn. What are the full effects of high War Exhaustion?

What is required to form Byzantium? I own all my cores, including using the event to take the cores on the west coast of Turkey and I own Istanbul. I have the Aegean islands and Cyprus as well... I just want to see what it looks like and what not and I can not get the event to pop up, I even have the right government type

Last edited:
Could someone explain what the immigration NF does? On first glance it seems obvious, but in the game there are different types of migration, and I'm not certain which one this NF supposedly influences.

Secondly, it is decades later and there is still zero assimilation in my Chinese state (the one that has Shanghai). When I mouse over, it says no current assimilation and doesn't even list the factors like it does in other states, leading me to believe that it is disabled completely there. Is this hardcoded for China or is it because there are too many Chinese or is there another reason? If it matters, I have gotten the literacy there up to over 80% and still no change.

I also notice that my Spanish people love to go certain places, but they won't go to China. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? For example, they poured into Borneo and Vietnam, but they refuse to go to Shanghai (this is the genesis of my immigration NF question -- wondering if I can do something about it). I guess maybe it's because Shanghai is already so populated they don't see opportunities? But the RGO's aren't full.

By the way, I'm playing on Vanilla.

Edit: Okay, part of it I figured out. It seems there is no assimilation in colonial provinces. The only way to get enough Spanish in Shanghai to make it into a state is through colonial emigration. But my total Spanish population there can't even get high enough to register on the pie chart. Is there any way to get more Spanish to go there? Is that what the immigration NF does or is that NF for external immigration?

Last edited:
Thinking about buying the game since i recently picked up EU3 and loved it. Just wanted to ask if there's
cascading alliances in this game as in the Devine Wind-expansion of EU3?
Tried to find it in the Vickywiki but it wasnt nearly as extensive as the eu3wiki.

Could someone explain what the immigration NF does? On first glance it seems obvious, but in the game there are different types of migration, and I'm not certain which one this NF supposedly influences.

Secondly, it is decades later and there is still zero assimilation in my Chinese state (the one that has Shanghai). When I mouse over, it says no current assimilation and doesn't even list the factors like it does in other states, leading me to believe that it is disabled completely there. Is this hardcoded for China or is it because there are too many Chinese or is there another reason? If it matters, I have gotten the literacy there up to over 80% and still no change.

I also notice that my Spanish people love to go certain places, but they won't go to China. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? For example, they poured into Borneo and Vietnam, but they refuse to go to Shanghai (this is the genesis of my immigration NF question -- wondering if I can do something about it). I guess maybe it's because Shanghai is already so populated they don't see opportunities? But the RGO's aren't full.

By the way, I'm playing on Vanilla.

Edit: Okay, part of it I figured out. It seems there is no assimilation in colonial provinces. The only way to get enough Spanish in Shanghai to make it into a state is through colonial emigration. But my total Spanish population there can't even get high enough to register on the pie chart. Is there any way to get more Spanish to go there? Is that what the immigration NF does or is that NF for external immigration?

I think the immigration NF is bugged in vanilla; I don't remember if they fixed it in AHD or not.

Thinking about buying the game since i recently picked up EU3 and loved it. Just wanted to ask if there's
cascading alliances in this game as in the Devine Wind-expansion of EU3?
Tried to find it in the Vickywiki but it wasnt nearly as extensive as the eu3wiki.

In my experience, if a country is going to honor an alliance, it'll do it right away. You DO have to watch out for intervening Great Powers, which is the exception to the rule.

A tiny alliance question.
Its year 1851. I am S-P, in sphere under France, going slow, but steady and looking ahead on how i get Lombard from Austria. I'm hoping Garibaldi Rebels do some of the work for me, if i do not get GP and sphere other minors.
Problem is that, Austria is allied with GB, Sweden and Ottos(wtf???). How big are the chances that "big alliance" will break up. Even my ally France does not want to come in my aid in one of the "test wars". Im hoping that if i increase relations with main powers, they will not intervene.
Any tips?

A tiny alliance question.
Its year 1851. I am S-P, in sphere under France, going slow, but steady and looking ahead on how i get Lombard from Austria. I'm hoping Garibaldi Rebels do some of the work for me, if i do not get GP and sphere other minors.
Problem is that, Austria is allied with GB, Sweden and Ottos(wtf???). How big are the chances that "big alliance" will break up. Even my ally France does not want to come in my aid in one of the "test wars". Im hoping that if i increase relations with main powers, they will not intervene.
Any tips?

Assume that you will be fighting Austria's whole alliance, but you could get lucky and they might bale. I'd advise you to wait until some of them are already fighting another war. Prussia would be a great ally for you.

Is there anything stopping me of when playing an unciv to max all sliders since I can't have debt?

Quick questions for Vanilla V2 :
1. After putting 100% in administration for several decades, my bureaucrats pop exploded to 11% of total population. I tried setting administration to 0% which helps (even though crime rate skyrocketed) but it is still far too slow. I am thinking of raising taxes for middle income but it would hurt far too many people. What is the fastest way to lower it to a more desirable level ?

2. Infamy
What could I do to accelerate the shedding of infamy ?
What ways are there to annex country without accumulating so much infamy (10 points per state is kinda ridiculous) ?

3. How effective is cavalry in late game (1900 onwards) ?

Why won't a single one of my Spanish citizens move to Hong Kong?

IIIRC pops convert to spanish whn they promote to officers, then the officers can become accepted beurocrats

some code mumbo jumbo to help reduce cpu strain

Question:

(1) What is the effect of the "Demand colonial concession" wargoal? I have enacted it on an enemy, but nothing happened.
(2) What is the best wargoal one should put on uncivs to avoid too much infamy?

Quick questions for Vanilla V2 :
1. After putting 100% in administration for several decades, my bureaucrats pop exploded to 11% of total population. I tried setting administration to 0% which helps (even though crime rate skyrocketed) but it is still far too slow. I am thinking of raising taxes for middle income but it would hurt far too many people. What is the fastest way to lower it to a more desirable level ?

2. Infamy
What could I do to accelerate the shedding of infamy ?
What ways are there to annex country without accumulating so much infamy (10 points per state is kinda ridiculous) ?

3. How effective is cavalry in late game (1900 onwards) ?

1. Not to get it too high in the first place. You can't decrease the level of any POP fast except by demoting a POP that has massive unemployment, and bureaucrats are not subject to unemployment.

2. Lose a containment war and stay at peace. Don't steal stuff that doesn't belong to you if you don't want to be infamous.

3. Planes are better for occupation and tanks for battles but cavalry remain effective at gassing rebels. (which really ought to cost infamy, but doesn't).