• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As there is currently a discussion about the balance of techs in another thread:

Do you guys research the commerce techs? I usually only take one or two of the administration and tax efficiency techs and then ignore them completely.
I find that the others are hardly worth the research points compared to the bonuses the industry techs of the same level give you.

2. Why can't I release India as the UK?

As it's a cultural union and countries in its cultural group exist (eg. Bikaner, Orissa, etc, etc). For the same reason one can't release Poland as Russia, but can when Krakow ceases to exist.

As there is currently a discussion about the balance of techs in another thread:

Do you guys research the commerce techs? I usually only take one or two of the administration and tax efficiency techs and then ignore them completely.
I find that the others are hardly worth the research points compared to the bonuses the industry techs of the same level give you.

I research quite a lot of tax techs, as I like the instant boost in income (especially in any Modern Day Scenario games where I have little or no industry). The only Industry techs I ever seem to go for are the supply limit ones, and Clean Coal as it seems to be very good.

Is there any easy way, including cheats, of making india a free nation? I have tried using the smaller nations to do it using tag to delete england's troops but they do not get any where near enough diplomacy points to add the war goals and there is no console code to add diplo. England cant release them either... is there any way at all?

You can do a chain conquer war goal if they are small enought (tag switching/war goal exploit)
Or you can edt the text files, to make india releaseable... there was a comment detailing it on these forums this week

AHD will be released tomorrow, right?

Hardly ... Navy and Army are always pushed, but when my military gets too big, and I see my budget running a deficit, something as simple as Railroads will push it back up into the green. In all my games, there seems to be a point where the Commerce techs simply aren't needed, and for me, that is from the start of the game. The Industry efficiency bonuses usually increase cash flow enough ... and allow me to build new factories while I'm at it. Commerce doesn't do that.

Hardly ... Navy and Army are always pushed, but when my military gets too big, and I see my budget running a deficit, something as simple as Railroads will push it back up into the green. In all my games, there seems to be a point where the Commerce techs simply aren't needed, and for me, that is from the start of the game. The Industry efficiency bonuses usually increase cash flow enough ... and allow me to build new factories while I'm at it. Commerce doesn't do that.

I find the navy techs to be usually useless, as naval battles are not that significant in the gameplay. The only ones I go for are the ones that let you build the new type of ship so you can easily decimate older ships.

no

changed: one week later

Can I ask where you saw this? Maybe I just missed this announcement, but last I heard, it was still January 24, tomorrow.

Commerce is now the only tech tree that improves output - industry does throughput instead, so you need more inputs to get more out. So if you focus entirely on industry and ignore the commerce tree, you'll have Soviet-style industries - large but inefficient. They'll be outcompeted by smaller, better-run countries in no time. Overall, you need to think a fair bit harder about which techs to go for with the new economic model, as big does not always equal better; 5% more cement throughput in a coal shortage will do no good where -2% input or +2% output will pay dividends.