• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interesting .... how do you know this? I have never read it before, and when I declare war, even against someone with great relations (+100), I've never noticed any extra hit for infamy. For example, it lists the infamy if your "proceed" with a declaration to Humilate/Cut down/ aquire/ etc. I've not noticed anything different.

Thanks for your insight!

Above 100 relations you gain extra infamy and you lose prestige, along with a national militancy increase. It's proportional to the amount above 100.

Maybe increasing relations makes them less likely to declare war without justifiction?

I believe the AI will try to decrease relations to <100 before attacking someone.

If my ships are not in port, when I click on the army, the load onto ship icon is not blue.

Wait, don't countries declare a war of containment at 15 infamy?

You need to have a sufficient number of transports for the army. For example, you can't load 15 brigades on to a fleet of 60 "big ships" and two transports; any fleet to take them must have >15 transport ships.

Last edited:
How do I get more influence points to spend on other nations as a great power?

What is national stockpile - sometimes it goes up and down...seems to be related when I move soldiers (in war) to foreign countries it goes up.

Can I annex a country in my influence?

What is the point of making a colony a state?

How do I know when the right time is to enact political reforms/social spending?

How do I colonize Africa?

Why are people emigrating from my country (I was playing France, only growth between 800-2000)?

How do I stop people emigrating?

How do I encourage immigration from other countries?

How do I increase the green points (sry forgot what it called, not supply the brown/orange one of a unit but the green one)?

What is a good country to play as? I currently playing France, have not achieved much...only done

How do I prevent mass rebellion in the country?

What technologies should I research first?

What is the point of holding a sphere of influence as a great power?

Thanks for any answers, sorry if asked before, I'll check later. So consider this a note for me to check up on later, some questions I thought off...now I am going to bed lol.

Is there a difference between HM Monarchy and Absolute?

Lots of differences, in that there's voting in the former and not in the latter. You're also more restricted in ruling party choices with absolute monarchy.

How do I get more influence points to spend on other nations as a great power?

What is national stockpile - sometimes it goes up and down...seems to be related when I move soldiers (in war) to foreign countries it goes up.

Can I annex a country in my influence?

What is the point of making a colony a state?

How do I know when the right time is to enact political reforms/social spending?

How do I colonize Africa?

Why are people emigrating from my country (I was playing France, only growth between 800-2000)?

How do I stop people emigrating?

How do I encourage immigration from other countries?

How do I increase the green points (sry forgot what it called, not supply the brown/orange one of a unit but the green one)?

What is a good country to play as? I currently playing France, have not achieved much...only done

How do I prevent mass rebellion in the country?

What technologies should I research first?

What is the point of holding a sphere of influence as a great power?

Thanks for any answers, sorry if asked before, I'll check later. So consider this a note for me to check up on later, some questions I thought off...now I am going to bed lol.

Some of these aren't particularly "quick", but I'll do my best! :D

1. One of the tech tracks increases them; other than that, it's about managing influence sensibly. Don't try to influence the whole world, be mindful of bonuses (for being bigger than the influencee and neighbors).

2. Mostly the goods to outfit your military, plus any construction costs for forts, railroads, naval bases, or factories.

3. Only in special circumstances -- forming NGF (North German Federation), SGF (South German Federation), Italy, Scandinavia (maybe?). In all other cases, no.

4. Building factories there.

5. In most cases, "ASAP" is the right answer. It's about which you choose more than when you do it.

6. You'll need the Big Three techs for colonization -- Medicine (Prophylaxis invention), Machine Guns, and Nationalism & Imperialism.

7. They usually go to the New World, which gets a bonus for immigration. You might also just have a lousy economy and they're leaving for better jobs, although as France, I doubt it. You can enact reforms, which will increase your immigration rate.

8. You can't, not really, except for being nice -- lower taxes, increase social spending/reforms, etc.

9. See no. 7 :)

10. I think you mean organization (ORG) -- in that case, you'll need to max out your national stockpile, go to your own territory, and wait. They'll regain ORG naturally in foreign territory too, but they'll do it slower.

11. My personal favorites: USA (patriotism ;)), Prussia (great literacy, forming Germany is fun), Russian Empire (stop the Commies from taking over), Ukraine (see my AAR in my inkwell), and the Netherlands (easy to expand in SE Asia, Indonesia). I learned the game with Argentina. Japan was fun too.

12. MIL is your enemy. Choose events that reduce it, decisions, reforms, etc.

13. As France? It's entirely up to you. The entire Commerce section, especially for a country as big as yours, is almost useless. My two favorite sections are Industry and Army. If you want to colonize, you'll want to work towards the techs I mentioned in #6.

14. You get access to their goods before even they do. Convenient if they've got something you don't.

I hope these helped! I highly recommend my tutorial AAR, BTW, which you can find in my inkwell -- the country choice is unorthodox, but I think a lot of the advice is sound.

Is there a quick way to see which of your territories are colonies and which are states? The Administrative mapmode only shows administrative efficiency.

Under population, the colonies are always listed at the bottom, if you've got the latest beta. There will be a little house, sometimes filled in. If it's filled in, it means you can turn it into a state.

3. Only in special circumstances -- forming NGF (North German Federation), SGF (South German Federation), Italy, Scandinavia (maybe?). In all other cases, no.

To add to this, there are some other special cases. Cultural unions with countries from their cultural group in their sphere will eventually be asked if they want to annex them. As the UK, you could annex Scotland, Ireland, South Africa, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, should they have somehow escaped. As Russia, you can annex Ukraine; as the USA, you can annex the CSA, Texas, New England, Deseret, or the Californian Republic; as Germany you can annex any of the little German countries (but Austria is a special case; Hungary needs to exist for the event to fire); As India you could annex any of the little Indian states; as Poland you could annex Krakow (but you would have to start as Krakow to form Poland); as Scandinavia, you can annex Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, or Iceland; as China you could annex any of the Chinese cliques.

@ Avindian: Thanks for all your help!

I am now reading your Ukranian AAR: lots of useful information, so thanks again!

Also, does anyone recommend playing the 1.4 beta? I am on 1.3 now so I assume just extract/rewrite files - 1.0 > 1.3 > 1.4b like this -- so I don't have to reinstall game to 1.0 > 1.4b?

Above 100 relations you gain extra infamy and you lose prestige, along with a national militancy increase. It's proportional to the amount above 100.

Okay, I don't beleive this. I'm going to experiment this weekend and see if there is a differnece in the infamy and prestige hits. I just don't recall noticing this. I'll report back if you're not right.

Okay, I don't beleive this. I'm going to experiment this weekend and see if there is a differnece in the infamy and prestige hits. I just don't recall noticing this. I'll report back if you're not right.

Well, take a look at this, I took this picture ~5 minutes ago:

Happy?

@ Avindian: Thanks for all your help!

I am now reading your Ukranian AAR: lots of useful information, so thanks again!

Also, does anyone recommend playing the 1.4 beta? I am on 1.3 now so I assume just extract/rewrite files - 1.0 > 1.3 > 1.4b like this -- so I don't have to reinstall game to 1.0 > 1.4b?

I highly recommend every beta they offer; they almost always fix something that really needed it, and some are almost like free expansions.

You need more soldiers. Being evil with taxes is one way to increase their numbers (tax the peasants!); you could also use a national focus point on them.

Click any province. At the top, there should be a box with an arrow pointing to a circle on it. Click that. Then choose the picture of the soldier, to encourage soldiers.

And I believe it's the poor taxes (I think) you want high... 100% will cause farmers to become soldiers very quickly if I remember correctly.

Military spending makes a huge difference, too, that needs to be at 100%.

Click any province. At the top, there should be a box with an arrow pointing to a circle on it. Click that. Then choose the picture of the soldier, to encourage soldiers.

And I believe it's the poor taxes (I think) you want high... 100% will cause farmers to become soldiers very quickly if I remember correctly.

Military spending makes a huge difference, too, that needs to be at 100%.

Ah military spending in think from memory should be 80% over that and it starts to convert to officers

Ok so the spending and stuff worked thank you. I have a few other questions.

1) howcome when i research something that gives +1 national focus, i can only do one national focus on a region? not 2?

2)When playing as say two sicilies? How does one form Italy, because every nation is protected by austria or france, so is there a way to get enemy nations out of their protection?

3)Can you increase how fast your infamy goes down? I find it very boring i have to wait 10 years between wars, is there something im missing?

Ok so the spending and stuff worked thank you. I have a few other questions.

1) howcome when i research something that gives +1 national focus, i can only do one national focus on a region? not 2?

This means you can use two national foci on two regions, not one. Population permitting, of course: you need 1 million pops of your primary culture for another National Focus, ie. 2 million South Italians.

2)When playing as say two sicilies? How does one form Italy, because every nation is protected by austria or france, so is there a way to get enemy nations out of their protection?

I've never formed Italy as the two sicilies: I got to great power status, owning most of Africa. To form Italy, get some little Italian countries in your sphere, if you can wrangle them out of the Austrian or French spheres, and hope for pan-nationalists, Garibaldi's Redshirts. If they topple the government in an Italian country in your sphere, you should be able to form Italy there and then

3)Can you increase how fast your infamy goes down? I find it very boring i have to wait 10 years between wars, is there something im missing?
Nope, no way. Unless, of course, you want to go over the limit, and lose a containment war. You'll be prohibited from training soldiers and lose basically all your prestige, but it will reduce your infamy to 25 upon capitulating. Not recommended.