• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do we cancel a construction ? For example I started building a fort but I don't have what's needed to build it; how do I cancel the fort construction ?

Unfortunately, you can't. You have to wait until the fort is done.

I'm playing my first game as Japan. I have successfully civilised, and now am industrialising. My government is State Capitalist. I see some factories under construction which I haven't started building, but in the production tab the projects tab is empty. I have seen some capitalist factories shown there with a number of investors. Are these factories also capitalist?

EDIT: I have edited Experimental Railroad and I see 11 projects of railroads in the production tab. Some of them are located in a provinces where there aren't any capitalists. Is it normal?

Last edited:
I'm playing my first game as Japan. I have successfully civilised, and now am industrialising. My government is State Capitalist. I see some factories under construction which I haven't started building, but in the production tab the projects tab is empty. I have seen some capitalist factories shown there with a number of investors. Are these factories also capitalist?

Yes. Under State Capitalism capitalists can still build factories, although it's more expensive for them. Hover over the party policy "State Capitalism" in your politics screen and you'll see the costs for your capitalists.

EDIT: I have edited Experimental Railroad and I see 11 projects of railroads in the production tab. Some of them are located in a provinces where there aren't any capitalists. Is it normal?

That's also working as intended. It's normal for capitalists to invest in projects that are far from where they're actually located.

Thank you for your answer. I find it weird, though, that although I'm not Lassez Faire and I don't have many capitalists (only a few thousand in entire Japan), in about 7 years my capitalists have built at least one factory in every state and many many railroads. I have only built three factories in the beginning and a few railroads.

As capitalists get money, they'll invest in constructing and expanding more factories. Japan has an advantage with that due to high literacy (meaning POPs will become craftsmen easily, working in factories and driving up profits) and because of high population overall.

However... about the railroads, yeah, it's pretty spammy at the moment. Problem is that once you have a good level of industrialisation, capitalists POPs will build them everywhere, so even backward colonies may have the highest railroad level available. But it seems that it will be fixed in the expansion though - see here.

If Japan is still a monarchy, which it should be, you should be able to pick the party you want in power. You could go Laissez-Faire if you wanted, or pick any other party you like.

tamius23, I know that, State Capitalism suits me well, I'm just surprised with the scale of the industrial revolution by capitalists in my country.

Planck, I think I know the reason. I have checked my rich POPs and they all have only 97% Life Needs met, because I seemingly can't buy coffee on the World Market. This makes capitalists not buy neither Everyday nor Luxury Needs but invest all the money in industrialisation. Sometimes lack of resources can be profitable ;-)

asia africa north\south america, did i write it wrong?

If you mean are their different troops types based on culture like there are in EU3, the answer is no.

how should i build my armies?

Rely on infantry as bread and butter unit, of course. Mid-game, try to prefer Guards instead of normal Inf for your standing units (as much as you can afford it)

how many artillery for how many infantry?

Try some 3:1 composition for infantry:artillery

are cavalary complete crap?

No, they can flank and give recon bonus to the armies they are in. So I add two cav units to any army, and build some cav-only Corps (up to 5 units of cav and dragoons) for fire brigade purposes.

and does i change later on in the game or according to your continent?

Technical progress changes something later in the game. When airplanes appear, replace the cav with them (high recon!) and once tanks appear, they become a very valuable component of your offensive armies. 1/3 tanks (if you can afford it!) in an army makes it excellent for offensive, while the defensive armies can stick to inf and arty.

Will AHD not have any of thos obnoxious OOS issues that plague multiplayer so my conversion game can wait and convert without it being unplayable?

Despite having played quite a lot of Vicky 2, I've always been a bit nebulous on what bureaucrats do exactly. Besides helping to fight crime, what do they do exactly?

They promote POPs and they cut military costs. If your bureaucrats are below par, promotion rates decrease (to zero at zero bureaucrats) and military costs increase (doubled at zero bureaucrats). Excess bureaucrats are just a dead weight.

I've got a question about becoming a GP in the PDM mod:

Playing as Brunswick (German Minor) I managed to climb onto the 8th rank, due to a massive about of prestige. I do own 4 regions.

I'm on the 8th rank for about a year now, but I didn't manage to become a GP yet. So do I have to leave Prussias sphere first? And wont they declare war on me for adding me to their sphere again?

Just after starting the game again and playing 1-2 more days I became a GP, shame on me :<