• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks, figured it'd be something simple. :)

After tag changing, it's recommended to save-reload if you want to play the game: tag switching will do strange things to the AI.

Playing as the US with the "realistic 1836" mod, I passed the "Seward's Icebox/Folly" act - but it not only gave me Alaska, but the entire Russian empire as well.

Is this a result of the mod, or a bug in the vanilla game?

Is there any way to look up your infamy? I keep getting into BB wars with UK and I'm not sure why.

Click on your country's flag on the top left and look at "Wars". Then you should see it on the right.
Now this is a question I have:
I can't build any tanks or guards due to lack of barrels and liquor. Any way to get around this?

This is question that's been bugging me for a while. In your army overview screen you can see that each unit is asocciated with one POPs. If POP is less than 1000 it'll tell you that it cannot reinforce associated unit due to lack of people HOWEVER each mont nonetheless your unit is reinforced. so my question is where is it reinforced from? Is it reinforced from different (larger) POP? Is the message confusing and unit is reinforced from its associated POP event though it's less than 1000 souls? cheers!

This is question that's been bugging me for a while. In your army overview screen you can see that each unit is asocciated with one POPs. If POP is less than 1000 it'll tell you that it cannot reinforce associated unit due to lack of people HOWEVER each mont nonetheless your unit is reinforced. so my question is where is it reinforced from? Is it reinforced from different (larger) POP? Is the message confusing and unit is reinforced from its associated POP event though it's less than 1000 souls? cheers!

I've personally not seen this happen, so I couldn't say, but my guess would be that the POP is replenishing itself, perhaps?

Is it possible to avoid a war of containment by having high relations with other countries?

I can handle containment wars against nations like Mexico, Japan, and the Netherlands, but it would be nice if I could keep the British, French, and Americans off my back as I try to unite South America.

Also, while looking through the game text files I saw that Fascist nations can get an Annex CB against their neighbors. Is this true? I've never seen it happen.

Is it possible to avoid a war of containment by having high relations with other countries?

I can handle containment wars against nations like Mexico, Japan, and the Netherlands, but it would be nice if I could keep the British, French, and Americans off my back as I try to unite South America.

Also, while looking through the game text files I saw that Fascist nations can get an Annex CB against their neighbors. Is this true? I've never seen it happen.

To your first question, relations don't matter at all. I've never seen a Fascist nation form in my games, so you'll have to ask someone else about that :)

Relations don't matter, eh? Well, crap. I was hoping for a South American unification without having to resort to something gamey like annexing Korea and Japan and using troops from there to fight my battles.
Regarding the Fascists, Argentina usually goes fascist after Chile steps all over them a few times. Of course, by that point they're in no position to get anything accomplished.

Thanks for replying

I've got a question: I'm playing Japan, GP (3rd), beating Republic of Britania every war an stuff, but I've been wondering about turning my country into fascist country. Still, my citizens are just too happy and wealthy, they wouldn't revolt even under heavy taxation. I'm Prussian Const. and I can't appoint nor the Fascist nor Communist party. In what government types I could do that? (thay have no chance on winning elections - they have ~10%)

I've got a question: I'm playing Japan, GP (3rd), beating Republic of Britania every war an stuff, but I've been wondering about turning my country into fascist country. Still, my citizens are just too happy and wealthy, they wouldn't revolt even under heavy taxation. I'm Prussian Const. and I can't appoint nor the Fascist nor Communist party. In what government types I could do that? (thay have no chance on winning elections - they have ~10%)

You need an HM's government for that -- the key there is to get up to Non-Secret Ballots in voting reform.

I have a few more questions about containment wars:

1. Do the declarations of war start immediately after breaking the infamy limit, or can I go further over the limit before other nations get really mad?

2. How many brigades does the AI usually commit to a containment war? Does it change depending on where I am located or how close my territories are to theirs?

3. How badly do I have to beat them to get a white peace? Can I just fight off their invading armies or do I have to take some of their territories?

And i also have a naval question: should I build a balanced force of ironclads and monitors or is it more effective to just spam one or the other?

Is there a way to check if Assimilation is working in your country?

Can you further boost Assimilation besides changing your ruling party to one that has Limited/Full Citizenship?

Can you further boost Assimilation besides changing your ruling party to one that has Limited/Full Citizenship?

As far as I know, all limited and full citizenship do is attract immigrants and expand the number of cultures that are allowed to vote.
However, pro-residency governments will get the 'Minority Building Restriction' event, which increases assimilation by 5% for a negligible militancy cost.

Limited citizenship gives a bonus of 10% to assimilation, Full Citizenship gives 25%. Not counting events, Residency gives none in this case. You can hover your mouse over the Culture cell of various non-accepted POPs in the Population tab, and it will show the factors for assimilation. You can then adjust your strategy to increase assimilation chance, although most of it is kind of out of reach if you want to directly help it.

I have a few more questions about containment wars:

1. Do the declarations of war start immediately after breaking the infamy limit, or can I go further over the limit before other nations get really mad?

2. How many brigades does the AI usually commit to a containment war? Does it change depending on where I am located or how close my territories are to theirs?

3. How badly do I have to beat them to get a white peace? Can I just fight off their invading armies or do I have to take some of their territories?

And i also have a naval question: should I build a balanced force of ironclads and monitors or is it more effective to just spam one or the other?

The answers to 1-3 are all "It depends." :) Containment wars aren't necessarily immediate -- they weren't in my US game -- but it all depends on how powerful you are to begin with. I don't think the AI treats containment wars any differently than other wars, to be honest, so the number of brigades/likelihood of white peace would be the same as if they were trying to take territory or something.

To your navy questions, I think monitors are completely useless and a waste of resources. Monitors were best used in rivers IRL, but that's not really an option in Vicky 2. Transports go faster without them, and you're probably close enough to cruisers that it's better just to wait for them.

Is there a reason not to tax aristocrats to death if you don't have any capitalists?

They might demote if they can't afford their needs; I'm not sure what they demote to off the top of my head. If they can, go nuts :)

The answers to 1-3 are all "It depends." :) Containment wars aren't necessarily immediate -- they weren't in my US game -- but it all depends on how powerful you are to begin with. I don't think the AI treats containment wars any differently than other wars, to be honest, so the number of brigades/likelihood of white peace would be the same as if they were trying to take territory or something.

To your navy questions, I think monitors are completely useless and a waste of resources. Monitors were best used in rivers IRL, but that's not really an option in Vicky 2. Transports go faster without them, and you're probably close enough to cruisers that it's better just to wait for them.

Ok, cool. Thanks again :)

@ AdeptusM: Hey, another Peru player! Anyway, to answer your question, you can promote migration to Africa by researching the Educational Efficiency techs, under the culture section; I think each of them gives a small boost to colonial migration. Aside from that, using an NF to encourage immigration to your African territories and having a government with a policy of Full Citizenship would be the way to go.

Just started a game as Belgium. What are the conditions and when can I expect to get the Congo or see a Congo Free State established. Do I have to do any colonization down there first to activate the possibility? Thanks in advance.