• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If only the forums could be colored differently depending on which one you're in... is that feature gone for good?
I miss that too. I think they will add it back, but fixing bugs has a much higher priority.

Is there a way to release a puppet? I let rebels overtake Wallachia but they just absorbed Moldovia (my other puppet) and still remain under my control.
The only real way is by getting them to lose to ideological rebels or you to lose a war where releasing that satellite is demanded, which is extremely unlikely. Save game editing also works.

How come you can't free the CSA again after they're defeated? I tried the liberate people and liberate country and both don't show them. Also, is there a way to liberate the NGF as well through rebels or war?

Oh whoops, I meant to put this in modding quick questions XD

Can you make an event to essentially remove rebels by using the rebel organization rate modifier from technologies?

If I put this in a decision,

}
effect = {
rebel_org_gain = {
faction = communist_rebels
value = 0.25
}
}
}
except put it to 1 and make it negative, would that work? Or are negatives not recognized?

Last edited:
How come you can't free the CSA again after they're defeated? I tried the liberate people and liberate country and both don't show them. Also, is there a way to liberate the NGF as well through rebels or war?
The cores have to exist if you want to liberate them with a war. If the core gets destroyed, by event for instance, you can't liberate that country anymore.

Hello everyone! I have bought Victoria II few days ago and I enjoyed it. Later I decided to buy Heart of Darkness. First time the game did't run. I tried to run game from folder with game. The message about missing file have appeared. I downloaded those missing files. There were another problem with virtuallifesystem line ***. I searched on the internet, and I read I have to make 'cache' folder empty. It helped with virtuallifesystem error, but game crashes during country selection. Does anyone knows solution of this problem? I would be realy grateful

Hello everyone! I have bought Victoria II few days ago and I enjoyed it. Later I decided to buy Heart of Darkness. First time the game did't run. I tried to run game from folder with game. The message about missing file have appeared. I downloaded those missing files. There were another problem with virtuallifesystem line ***. I searched on the internet, and I read I have to make 'cache' folder empty. It helped with virtuallifesystem error, but game crashes during country selection. Does anyone knows solution of this problem? I would be realy grateful
Hmm... Do you also have A House Divided? I believe it's needed to run Heart of Darkness.

No, I do not have it. But realy? I already payed for this game 40 euro and I have to pay 10 euro more? Anyway, many thanks :)
Ouch. Should have gone with Steam: the Store page for Heart of Darkness notes in a couple of spots that you need A House Divided to play it.

How is determined the amount of research points gained when conquering as an uncivilized nation (is it based on the population of the conquered country or on the number of its states)?

It's based off provinces, not states or population, multiplied by other factors. I found a more specific calculation on an old reddit thread: RESEARCH_POINTS_ON_CONQUER_MULT (which is 360 in HoD with no mods) * (0.75 + Research Points on Conquest bonus) * no. of provinces conquered * your nation's daily research points after conquest = Awarded points.

As for a couple of my own questions:

1) How fast does revanchism decay? The game says that it decays as your people "forget" but I was wondering if there was a more specific calculation out there.

2) For gaining a core, the event says

Code:
# Gain Core event
province_event = {
   id = 2560
   title = "EVTNAME2560"
   desc = "EVTDESC2560"

trigger = {
     NOT = { is_core = THIS }
     controlled_by = THIS
     is_colonial = no
     OR = {
       is_primary_culture = yes
       is_accepted_culture = yes
       any_neighbor_province = {
         AND = {
           is_core = THIS
           controlled_by = THIS
         }
       }
     }
     owner = {
       tag = THIS
       is_greater_power = yes
       nationalism_n_imperialism = 1
     }

What exactly does this mean? Can you get cores anywhere after a while or do they have to be majority primary/accepted culture or next to one of your own cores? Do the ones next to your own cores only work if you control your own core? Like if you are France, lost Alsace-Lorraine but own Baden, could you get cores on Baden?

It can only fire in non-colonial provinces that you control and own. In addition to that, it has to either be accepted culture or border another core province that you own and control.
In your France example, you would have to reconquer Elsaß-Lothringen before being able to core Baden.

Hi everybody,
I was playing as china. After annexing Dai viet and Bruma the British have declared a war for the southern state of Bruma.
The problem is even if i was able to fend them off for long, war kept going and i maintained a status quo, i got really huge rebells from reactionaries (900k stak in total).
Is it linked to the hundreds of thousand solders dieing and getting militancy up? or you really need always to be able to fend off 900k revolts as china while westernizing?
is there a way to avoid British aggression (like increasing relations from day one?
I would like to try to make this country work for me, but i do not feel that i could go from there.
(as once reactionaries win they liberate all the puppets(but why?), wich is not to my liking)
So someone more experienced, can help/tell how to pull off chinas westernization process (playing HoD)?
Mohreb

As China, always westernize very slowly and carefully. One wrong move results in insane number of rebels. Enact one reform, wait for the population militancy to cool down, keep large armies in place to prevent/crush rebellions. Once population militancy is low (lower than 1.00), you may try to enact another reform. And then wait and so on.

Get army reforms if you want. There is one that allows you to train westernized infantry. They are better than irregulars you can usually recruit, although still don't stand much of a chance against real western infantry who have lots of techs. They can be a big help in fighting rebels, although they will be more expensive to maintain even in China.

You can also try the strategy of taking large reforms in the economy. It will take a long time to collect enough research points for these reforms, but they increase your percentage greatly at the same militancy increase of any small reforms in the military. So for example advanced industrialization reform will increase your westernization percentage by around 20%, but at the same time a small military reform will raise the percentage only around 5% while causing same rebellious tendencies as the previous one. It is all a matter of time and your preference.

A westernized Chinese Empire is actually the strongest country in the game alongside independent and westernized india, and the process of westernization is easy once you grasp it. The only thing is, westernization with China has to be done slowly and carefully.

So I got Vicky II with the Paradox Humble Bundle and still learning things. Started out with Japan - not too big to be overwhelmed, not too small to be useless.

Figured I should pretty much head straight for the Meiji Restoration to become 'civilized', so I focused on those techs first, picking up some others along the way. Money was easy to come by, and Japan has a rather stupid amount of military capability, so that wasn't a problem. China wanted to be friendly and is huge, so I allied them - past that tried spending my other diplomatic points trying to be nice to the other major powers, as I figured I'd eventually have to deal with Russia, Spain and the like but I ended up being sphered by the United States, so... I'm not quite sure how to deal with that. Also, nobody outside of China seems to care about me despite my efforts.

The only thing I needed was prestige and Korea had no friends, so I ate it whole. Now I'm civilized, but now I'm trying to figure out what the best way to build up my newly unlocked industry. With that, I should easily reach secondary power, since I'm in striking distance as is.

So basically -

1.) Best way to industrialize?
2.) Best way to keep my new Korean acquisition?
3.) How to deal diplomatically with the US / how to get allies against/with other European powers?

Ah, it must be related to an event, because I can see the cores listed but the CSA is unselectable. I see Gran Colombia and NGF and can't release those either .
The following countries are not valid release-targets for Free People and Liberate Country:
  • Culture unions can't be released from countries of their own culture group (e.g. you can't make Poland or Lithuania release the PLC and you can't make Punjab release India). (I might be misreading this clause; it's a little unclear.)
  • Countries marked is_releasable_vassal=no (as of HoD, the list is: CSA, GCO, MAN, KUK, MTC, TPG) can't be released or given their cores back via these CBs.
  • GER, SCA, ITA, YUG, and CZH (and also ROM if you're using the Free People CB) can't be released by these CBs, but can be given their cores back if they're already in play.

1.) Best way to industrialize?
2.) Best way to keep my new Korean acquisition?
3.) How to deal diplomatically with the US / how to get allies against/with other European powers?
1) I always start off with a cement factory, I believe in the southern-most state. In not too long you'll also want to research the tech that lets you build machine tools factories. You might also build a single lumber mill in your northern-most state, since it has timber but not many people.

Liquor factories usually do well, and the glass factories that feed into them. Don't bother with fabric, since the UK will probably be monopolizing the dye supply. Don't over-produce small arms , but artillery and explosives will have decent demand provided you build enough artillery; ammunition also needs to be produced a lot. A furniture factory or two wouldn't be a bad idea, but check the supply of fabric before you go for clothes. Don't over-produce steel, since it uses coal which you need a lot of, but you will need a fair amount.

2) Eh, mostly raw resource extraction. You can stick some factories up there, since all of your clerks and craftsmen pay taxes, so just do what works.

3) Wait until 1860 to get your navy going. Research the level-three naval base and start building those before, so that when 1860 rolls around you can get right to Iron Steamers. Build a whole bunch of ironclads and commerce raiders (I always went with a 1:1 ratio) and the AI can never touch you. The Strait of Malacca is the most common choke point you'll be using. It will funnel their fleets right to yours, and you'll win every battle. I never bothered taking the Philippines from Spain since they're worthless, but Malacca, Java, and Sumatra are all good investments since they'll get rubber, and Borneo gets oil.