• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, I purchased the game through Steam.
Go to Steam Library and right click, select properties then go to the Local Files tab, in there select Browse Local Files and if nothing is found or it gives you an error, you can either verify game cache which located below Browse Local Files or you can delete the game and reinstall.

Playing as Panjab, with the obvious India goal in mind. It's my first time playing Vicky 2 in a while, so I don't remember all the mechanics. So, quick question: Pan-Indian nationalists have risen up (a mighty 1 stack!) in my lands. Is there any point in leaving them alive? If they succeed, I imagine I'd become India but would that actually help me, or just change my country name and give me lots of cores to take back? In other words, would all the minors automatically defect to me or anything (kind of like how Germany can quickly form)? I'm not a great power, if that effects anything.

Playing as Panjab, with the obvious India goal in mind. It's my first time playing Vicky 2 in a while, so I don't remember all the mechanics. So, quick question: Pan-Indian nationalists have risen up (a mighty 1 stack!) in my lands. Is there any point in leaving them alive? If they succeed, I imagine I'd become India but would that actually help me, or just change my country name and give me lots of cores to take back? In other words, would all the minors automatically defect to me or anything (kind of like how Germany can quickly form)? I'm not a great power, if that effects anything.
I am quite sure nothing will happen if you are not a great power. Only great powers can get the crown from the gutter event unless India is an exception like Romania and Yugoslavia.

I created a new country (Easter Islands) and seem to have most of it working. There is no ruling party to start the game (not sure how to fix this) and when I select the Ruling Faction (conservative) I get King .........123 or some such error. I have found nowhere to make a ruler name :) Help (working midnights so will be tomorrow before I can check this and see if you need any more info), thanks in advance.

I created a new country (Easter Islands) and seem to have most of it working. There is no ruling party to start the game (not sure how to fix this) and when I select the Ruling Faction (conservative) I get King .........123 or some such error. I have found nowhere to make a ruler name :) Help (working midnights so will be tomorrow before I can check this and see if you need any more info), thanks in advance.
There are no ruler names in Victoria II, so I am not sure what you mean. The political parties are found in the country file (Victoria II\common\countries\). Look at one of the vanilla files for a template.
Edit: If you have done that, try looking at the country history file. The starting ruling party is defined there.

I've change the country file, the history file, the text.csv files etc. I used the Sokoto files as a template since I know they work :) I made sure the conservatives were the 1st party with an 1800 start year. The game starts with absolute monarchy and all the policies are 'noissue'. When I select a ruling party (Royal Faction) I get King,,,, (bunch of ,),,SETPARTY_3

I've change the country file, the history file, the text.csv files etc. I used the Sokoto files as a template since I know they work :) I made sure the conservatives were the 1st party with an 1800 start year. The game starts with absolute monarchy and all the policies are 'noissue'. When I select a ruling party (Royal Faction) I get King,,,, (bunch of ,),,SETPARTY_3
Got the starting faction working (missed a change on the history file) but still get the King,,, thing when switching parties of ruling faction ><

Sorry for the noob question, but:

How bad does a General need to be before an army is better off without having one at all?

I've started a game as Two Sicilies, and managed to nab Tunisia, followed by Constantine from Algeria (the only province they had left) and Taza from their Morroccan allies. When I was trying to subdue enough of Morocco to get my demands, some of the smaller brigades left chasing the remnants of their army were without leaders, because the only ones left had some pretty awful stats. That being said, are even those leaders better than having a couple of leaderless brigades wandering about in enemy territory?

How bad does a General need to be before an army is better off without having one at all?
Pretty terrible - we're talking combinations like "Unfit / Craven" here.

Hovering over the No Leader should show you how bad it is to not have a general in command of an army. You're looking at -2 attack and defense, in addition to a whole suite of hobbling in pretty much every other category.

How do I download mods? I specifically want to download the Modern Age Mod.
Go to the My Games tab and register your game so you can see and browse to the User Modifications subforum.