• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Of coarse terrain plays a role, id like to see you tank go fight properly in anything other than open ground.

Also vietnam (terrain ftw)

As for your "but i have a better gun", its not a FPS, artillery is not a be all end all solution either

Does giving a nation war subsidies and military access during a war help your relation with them at all?

military access and war subsidies each provide a +20 (or thereabouts) boost to relations. cancelling deducts similar.

good way to gain some cheap favour. even though they usually end up cancelling your access and alliance :-/

Now eventually you have to attack the enemy defensive system, thats inevitable. Ok so, they have civil war tech, artillery is canon (up to Gatling cannons which were very strong but not strong enough to punch a hole in a tank)
I just wedged a live grenade in your tracks, and your buddy over there just had one dropped between his overhead gravity-feed fuel tanks. Have a nice day.

Actually, more like... 150 men, 6000 tanks, equipped with top of the line tech, against enemy soldiers armed with civil war tech... I gotta tell you, terrain does not change THAT MUCH when you have more accurate weapons. The more accurate the weapon the less advantageous the terrain becomes, especially if your weapons are less accurate as theirs, regardless if you are attacking or defending.

I do find it odd that you were losing with tanks to a comparably-sized army so far behind you in tech. Did this happen consistently? I've had ten brigades of tanks successfully stand off against 200,000 infantry and artillery (although they were relieved by a corps of guards before the battle was won).

Two levels different in tech suggests that the problem lies elsewhere. What were your ORG levels like, and which side took the most casualties?

was 1915, not 1919, no planes.
planes are 1914

Actually, more like... 150 men, 6000 tanks, equipped with top of the line tech, against enemy soldiers armed with civil war tech...
That sound's like a pretty small army (even if that first number is a typo, because I think it is); now can you just be honest and give the exact size of the enemy army?

I gotta tell you, terrain does not change THAT MUCH when you have more accurate weapons. The more accurate the weapon the less advantageous the terrain becomes, especially if your weapons are less accurate as theirs, regardless if you are attacking or defending.
I think the Italian Campaign from WWII and Hitler's decision to avoid Switzerland say differently.

If I have bolt action and they have breach loaded, that is a serious difference and I can hit accurately from a range they can not I can keep my troops back behind cover firing on them and killing them while they cant hit my soldiers until they have to. Also on this tech level there is the ability to use indirect artillery fire, mortars, this changed the landscape of warfare when you could be accurate with your artillery while not being any where near the enemy, it also allowed them to be portable and less vulnerable to enemy fire, unlike cannon and early machine gun..

Now, you have enemies that cant hit and only have artillery that fires forward against enemies that can hit from a long distance accuratly and artillery that can fire from behind cover and over long distances without any worries of being in the way.

Now bolt action rifles arent THAT fast, but we have machine guns, and as was said in other threads, all tech goes up with the different categories, while first MGs are probably like the gattling gun, the ones that you have with bolt action rifles are more around the Browning 1919 machine gun, which is a high rate of fire and horribly effective machine gun. All of this being one giant deterant for enemy counter attacks, now they cant hit from the engagement range, cant attack because of artillery suppression and machine gun suppression.

Now eventually you have to attack the enemy defensive system, thats inevitable. Ok so, they have civil war tech, artillery is canon (up to Gatling cannons which were very strong but not strong enough to punch a hole in a tank) and rifles, there are no anti tank rifles, no cannons firing AP shells, no guns designed to stop tanks, there is very little they can do to actually stop the tanks from breaking their lines, causing them to scatter as the tanks break over the trenches and the MGs open up. As they scatter infantry follow up behind and take positions before starting it all over again.
It's a contrivance, nobody is arguing otherwise, but it's fine for what it does.

Yeah, your right, I was attacking so there was a terrain negative effect, that means I should loose the battle
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, either way, yes it sounds like your loss was completely justified.

From what I understand of the combat system, the die rolls a 1-9, and terrain subtracts, the leader can add/subtract as well. If they had a good defensive leader and you attacked without checking yours, you could very easily have had a -5 to rolls while they had a +3. This makes it so in almost every day of battle, you are taking greater losses than they are, thus wearing down quite quickly. No matter how strong your tanks are, if they don't get the proper roll, they're not going to work as well as you think they should.

I could be wrong though, the combat system isn't my strong suit in this game.

I should have taken a screenshot but I got frustrated and sent the troops I had surrounding the province in and won the battle in a few seconds by doubling the number.

It didn't happen CONSISTENTLY in that exact configuration but I often found that regardless of how high my tech level was compared to them when attacking with the same number I was ALWAYS at the disadvantage.

As to that grenade argument... they had civil war technology, Ie no grenades. If they had the same tech I did yea... there were no AT grenades. They had to develop very specific grenade types to take out tanks. Putting a Fragmentation grenade in the treads would do minimal to nothing, the treads are steel, the wheels are steel, frag grenades are NOT c4. Heck, for the majority of the war for England they used empty food cans filled with shrapnel and gunpowder because they didn't have adequate grenades.

ALSO it would depend on the tank. The German tanks in WWI had the treads 90% enclosed so you could never get a grenade inside of them and they fuel lines were not visible, the tank was massive and had enough room for the crew to live inside of it. The british tanks were not as hulking and massive but just like the German tanks the treads were enclosed, only the bottom of the treads were visible.

So giving subsisdies and access and whatnot DOES increase your relations? Thats good to know, would be nice if they gave you that as a tool tip. You know what else would be nice, a second ranking system, like your relation with a nation, showing you how close you are to being able to form an alliance with them, so you didnt have to keep clicking 'alliance' 'impossible?' 'oh, ok...'

I should have taken a screenshot but I got frustrated and sent the troops I had surrounding the province in and won the battle in a few seconds by doubling the number.

It didn't happen CONSISTENTLY in that exact configuration but I often found that regardless of how high my tech level was compared to them when attacking with the same number I was ALWAYS at the disadvantage.

As to that grenade argument... they had civil war technology, Ie no grenades. If they had the same tech I did yea... there were no AT grenades. They had to develop very specific grenade types to take out tanks. Putting a Fragmentation grenade in the treads would do minimal to nothing, the treads are steel, the wheels are steel, frag grenades are NOT c4. Heck, for the majority of the war for England they used empty food cans filled with shrapnel and gunpowder because they didn't have adequate grenades.

ALSO it would depend on the tank. The German tanks in WWI had the treads 90% enclosed so you could never get a grenade inside of them and they fuel lines were not visible, the tank was massive and had enough room for the crew to live inside of it. The british tanks were not as hulking and massive but just like the German tanks the treads were enclosed, only the bottom of the treads were visible.

I think you may be expecting too much from the simplified combat system. Sure, it would be nice if they put the depth into it as they have in Hearts of Iron, but this is not Hearts of Iron. This is a game modeled around colonialism and economics, not tanks and aircraft.

HERE!!

I got the screenshots from another battle like that! I didnt get the beginning but I got everything else. I had about 60 and they had about 45 when the battle started and my troops were fresh, had not fought a battle in months to years.

7A55801985200647B5138B1109A5CD8BB2091A43

D5BEDAE6FFA3F0DCE1B73D0D2D396E605934A659

D0E750A014AEB128D4D3F9CF6EA1EDD9B0FCF4DD

BF6EFE78FE6BCAC69A02FFF60700D397ED871F9A

8D935BC3296D022A582AD911E621CFE806C797D6

B43225DA5B0EC464CFE2131491A9C1E365445EFC

Smeagol, numbers mean a -lot- in V2's quasi-trench warfare. Even with great units, if the enemy has a numerical superiority they can bring in fresh troops while yours become exhausted and disorganized. Once a unit has zero organization it is effectively worthless in combat but the army itself will continue to fight until ALL units are at zero organization.

Edit: Why are you attacking with no commanders? Also your artillery techs are useless without artillery units. Mobs of infantry are generally going to be unsuccessful, especially when lacking a leader; which gives a -2 to all rolls, as well as a morale and max organization penalty, a speed penalty... so many penalties.

Even more edit: You're also mobilized. Are these militia? They're kind of bad.

Okay. Your frontage is 15. Try making an army with two dragoons, three to seven tanks, about ten to fifteen guards [yes, guards. Use guards instead of infantry if you can afford it and as the UK you should be able to] and six or eight artillery units. The extra infantry are to replenish losses on the front as the battle progresses. Toss in a few engineers if you like them, then hire a general. If you click the military button on the top right you'll see where you can hire admirals and generals. To assign a general to an army, click on the unit pane where it says 'no commander'.

Last edited:
Smeagol, numbers mean a -lot- in V2's quasi-trench warfare. Even with great units, if the enemy has a numerical superiority they can bring in fresh troops while yours become exhausted and disorganized. Once a unit has zero organization it is effectively worthless in combat but the army itself will continue to fight until ALL units are at zero organization.

Edit: Why are you attacking with no commanders? Also your artillery techs are useless without artillery units. Mobs of infantry are generally going to be unsuccessful, especially when lacking a leader; which gives a -2 to all rolls, as well as a morale and max organization penalty, a speed penalty... so many penalties.

Ok, a few things. FIRST I attack with no commanders because I can only get 60 officer points at a time, my game likes to auto spam admirals instead of generals making me do it automaticly. I controll all of the pacific ocean, australia, new zealand, india, egypt, west africa, south africa, england and ireland, canada, west coast and east coast of america, and the caribean. I ahve the highest military score by the nation under me by atleast 5 times I cant physically have enough generals.

to the artillery tech, I controll all of the pacific ocean, australia, new zealand, india, egypt, west africa, south africa, england and ireland, canada, west coast and east coast of america, and the caribean. I ahve the highest military score by the nation under me by atleast 5 times I cant physically have enough generals. I'm not going to spend 3 hours micromanging and looking and finding EVERY PROVINCE and go, ok, I need this army here, so im gonna find provinces near it that have troops, so im gonna build some men here, and arty here, and tanks here, etc. Thats why certain armies dont have artillery.

They have fresh troops, wonderful, it should NOT MATTER. Do you see their tech level? FLINT LOCK RIFLES. That is the earliest tech you can use, that is two shots per minute rifle, against machine guns, tanks, and bolt action rifles.

If your telling me, that they can actually do compitently against me in combat without even having ANY TECHNOLOGY into their arms, why even have the tech there?

What even the point of it?

Ok, a few things. FIRST I attack with no commanders because I can only get 60 officer points at a time, my game likes to auto spam admirals instead of generals making me do it automaticly. I controll all of the pacific ocean, australia, new zealand, india, egypt, west africa, south africa, england and ireland, canada, west coast and east coast of america, and the caribean. I ahve the highest military score by the nation under me by atleast 5 times I cant physically have enough generals.

to the artillery tech, I controll all of the pacific ocean, australia, new zealand, india, egypt, west africa, south africa, england and ireland, canada, west coast and east coast of america, and the caribean. I ahve the highest military score by the nation under me by atleast 5 times I cant physically have enough generals. I'm not going to spend 3 hours micromanging and looking and finding EVERY PROVINCE and go, ok, I need this army here, so im gonna find provinces near it that have troops, so im gonna build some men here, and arty here, and tanks here, etc. Thats why certain armies dont have artillery.

They have fresh troops, wonderful, it should NOT MATTER. Do you see their tech level? FLINT LOCK RIFLES. That is the earliest tech you can use, that is two shots per minute rifle, against machine guns, tanks, and bolt action rifles.

If your telling me, that they can actually do compitently against me in combat without even having ANY TECHNOLOGY into their arms, why even have the tech there?

Not being able to handle micro is not an excuse. You say they're "fresh" because they "haven't fought a battle" but did you actually see their numbers once they got there? I have a feeling you might have suffered some attrition. But beyond that, you're attacking without a general, and that will always be bad. If you can't handle the micro needed to play bigger countries, don't play bigger countries; at the very least don't make it out to be the game's fault because you're too lazy to do something.

You can have an infinite number of generals at a time. Just turn off auto-promotion and put more focus on generals than admirals; it only takes a few clicks now and then when you notice you have 40-ish leader points. When you're attacking someone, unassign your best generals and put them on armies that will be actually fighting.

You don't want to build artillery in an age where artillery is the king of combat. This might be why you're losing fights. You don't need to micromanage simple rebel-fighting garrisons but if you're going to be attacking someone you may want to have a plan and design the armies before bringing them over.

They have fresh troops with a competent leader and inferior tech fighting a mass army that is well supplied, but confused and suffers from poor leadership. Your techs give you good bonuses, but your lack of discipline and proper army design is making those techs pointless.

The tech works just fine, you're just not giving it to them. Your single tank brigade is not going to turn battles around, and your lack of leadership is -negating- the bonuses your tech gives you. This isn't a failing of the engine, it's a failing of you understanding how to use the tools the game gave you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that each brigade also has experience. If Mexico's troops have tons of experience fighting and you're throwing rookies into the grinder it's going to hurt you more.

Look, if you can't be bothered to actually manage your military (regardless of how big it is) to the point where your forces are almost completely lacking in leadership and equipment, you can't very well expect them to fight competently. All the technology in the world is meaningless if you aren't actually putting it in the hands of those who'll use it.

Look, if you can't be bothered to actually manage your military (regardless of how big it is) to the point where your forces are almost completely lacking in leadership and equipment, you can't very well expect them to fight competently. All the technology in the world is meaningless if you aren't actually putting it in the hands of those who'll use it.

You sir, are wrong, I'm sorry, but your wrong.

You sir, are wrong, I'm sorry, but your wrong.

Seriously? are you going to do this again? It's got nothing to do with his wrong. You're (see how that's done?) wrong. If you're (once again, see that?) not going to accept the help you're (ooh, 3 times now) given when you ask for it, why ask for it in the first place?