• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know what pound sterling is. I'm asking is if the currency represented is abstracted or based off any values and if so what are the values? Because the money represented in the game is decimal system in an era before the decimal system was introduced in Britain (1971 I believe) so there's got to be some differences. I'm not asking "what the pound sterling is".

I doubt there's much of a connection, especially as we do not know any unit. Perhaps you can count tanks and aircraft, but what exactly is one unit of sugar supposed to be?

How does the "attract immigration" national focus work? Does it only count in the Americas for international immigration or is it for internal migration? Specifically, I want migrants in my Germany to go to my Algerian colony.

The short answer for Countries not in North America / South America / Oceania is that it doesn't work.

Here is the link to Migration entry in the Wiki http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Migration

Basically each pop in a state will roll to see if they want/need to move. So there are base factors:
Internal (Your State -> Your State) = 1.00%
Colonial (Your State -> Your Colony) = 0.25%
Emigration (Your State -> Another Country) = 0.50%

Your first trick is to get your people moving period. The main factors in this are:
High CON = If your people know their lives suck they will move. If they are ignorant dirt farming peasants they don't know a better life is possible so they won't move.

Needs = If your people are getting all they goods they want where they are they won't move. There are two reasons why a POP doesn't get a need filled:
01. The Good(s) aren't available for purchase
02. The Good(s) are available but the POP can't afford the good. - Usually this is the the case when your population is flowing this stems from where they work either in a factory, as an Artisan, or in an RGO. They don't earn enough from their "job" so they can't buy the goods they want so they look for a new job.

Unemployment = no jobs in the Province so the POP has to move to find work.

There are big negative modifiers for Colonial States so that the natives and any POPs that did move to a colony, stay put.

After the roll to determine which type of Migration / Immigration is done and if they POP decided to move then a roll(s) are done to determine where the pop goes.

Worst Case:
The POP decided to leave your country. They are gone. They roll to see which country they move to. Which is VERY likely to be a Democracy in the Americas with Universal Suffrage and already has a few of the same POPs culture.

Neutral:
Your POP decided not to migrate

Okay:
Your POP decided to migrate to another state in your Country. The POP will roll to determine which Province to move to. They like places with high population, state capitals, coasts, nice terrain, nice life rating, has jobs (factories preferred), and people in the province like them (Culture and Religion).

Best Case:
Your POP decided to migrate to one of your colonies. YAY! The same sort of factors go into choice of province but many of them aren't actually met. Fortunately once a POP has decided to go to a colony they WILL go to a colony.

If your Germany is doing well then most of your people aren't going anywhere you need to use the shotgun approach to get people to migrate to your colonies. Basically you are going to loose WAY more population to the New World but a few will go colonies. You should be increasing population growth through techs this will hopefully make up for those who leave and more.

If you have control over factories find a State with high population (working in factories) and fill up your 8 types of factories. Then close and keep closing down those factories (Capitalists might try and reopen them). This is going to put a lot of people out of work. YAY! These unemployed masses will start to move. You are going to loose huge chunks of them to the new world but again a few of them will choose to move to your colonies.

As you get a few POPs of your accepted culture(s) into your colonies any POP that doesn't have a culture core in the Province might Assimilate. For Algeria this means that Algeria's accepted POPs won't assimilate. Most of the un-colonized land at the beginning of the game don't have any cores, a few do like some provinces near Ethiopia. So if you get enough people moving you might eventually turn a few African Colonies into states. Here is the assimilation link: http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Assimilation

As Germany you probably should have just left Algeria to the Dirty French. It is all but impossible to turn it into a state as anyone but the French.

Finally to actually answer your question when your POP rolls to determine which Province it is going to go to (in the second of the two rolls) the attract immigration adds some weight to that state's provinces to the roll.

The short answer for Countries not in North America / South America / Oceania is that it doesn't work.

Here is the link to Migration entry in the Wiki http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Migration

Basically each pop in a state will roll to see if they want/need to move. So there are base factors:
Internal (Your State -> Your State) = 1.00%
Colonial (Your State -> Your Colony) = 0.25%
Emigration (Your State -> Another Country) = 0.50%

Your first trick is to get your people moving period. The main factors in this are:
High CON = If your people know their lives suck they will move. If they are ignorant dirt farming peasants they don't know a better life is possible so they won't move.

Needs = If your people are getting all they goods they want where they are they won't move. There are two reasons why a POP doesn't get a need filled:
01. The Good(s) aren't available for purchase
02. The Good(s) are available but the POP can't afford the good. - Usually this is the the case when your population is flowing this stems from where they work either in a factory, as an Artisan, or in an RGO. They don't earn enough from their "job" so they can't buy the goods they want so they look for a new job.

Unemployment = no jobs in the Province so the POP has to move to find work.

There are big negative modifiers for Colonial States so that the natives and any POPs that did move to a colony, stay put.

After the roll to determine which type of Migration / Immigration is done and if they POP decided to move then a roll(s) are done to determine where the pop goes.

Worst Case:
The POP decided to leave your country. They are gone. They roll to see which country they move to. Which is VERY likely to be a Democracy in the Americas with Universal Suffrage and already has a few of the same POPs culture.

Neutral:
Your POP decided not to migrate

Okay:
Your POP decided to migrate to another state in your Country. The POP will roll to determine which Province to move to. They like places with high population, state capitals, coasts, nice terrain, nice life rating, has jobs (factories preferred), and people in the province like them (Culture and Religion).

Best Case:
Your POP decided to migrate to one of your colonies. YAY! The same sort of factors go into choice of province but many of them aren't actually met. Fortunately once a POP has decided to go to a colony they WILL go to a colony.

If your Germany is doing well then most of your people aren't going anywhere you need to use the shotgun approach to get people to migrate to your colonies. Basically you are going to loose WAY more population to the New World but a few will go colonies. You should be increasing population growth through techs this will hopefully make up for those who leave and more.

If you have control over factories find a State with high population (working in factories) and fill up your 8 types of factories. Then close and keep closing down those factories (Capitalists might try and reopen them). This is going to put a lot of people out of work. YAY! These unemployed masses will start to move. You are going to loose huge chunks of them to the new world but again a few of them will choose to move to your colonies.

As you get a few POPs of your accepted culture(s) into your colonies any POP that doesn't have a culture core in the Province might Assimilate. For Algeria this means that Algeria's accepted POPs won't assimilate. Most of the un-colonized land at the beginning of the game don't have any cores, a few do like some provinces near Ethiopia. So if you get enough people moving you might eventually turn a few African Colonies into states. Here is the assimilation link: http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Assimilation

As Germany you probably should have just left Algeria to the Dirty French. It is all but impossible to turn it into a state as anyone but the French.

Finally to actually answer your question when your POP rolls to determine which Province it is going to go to (in the second of the two rolls) the attract immigration adds some weight to that state's provinces to the roll.

Exactly what I needed, thanks a lot. However taking Algeria was necessary since I needed a Mediterranean port and taking a French/European core seemed like a bad idea.

I know what pound sterling is. I'm asking is if the currency represented is abstracted or based off any values and if so what are the values? Because the money represented in the game is decimal system in an era before the decimal system was introduced in Britain (1971 I believe) so there's got to be some differences. I'm not asking "what the pound sterling is".

That's pretty pedantic. 360d can just as well be written £1.5

You don't really expect Paradox to implement a base 240 accounting system just for representing fractions of currency smaller than rounding errors, do you?

era before the decimal system was introduced in Britain (1971 I believe)
Since Vic2 is a video game, and not a history book, it pretends the pound (and other stuff) is decimal since time immorial. Vic2's pound is meant to be a real pound - just a decimal pound, since non-decimal currency systems are hard to use. ((Which is btw the main reason for the UK deciding to adopt a decimal pound in the 70s))

I formed Scandinavia as Denmark. Now, Sweden (which became incorporated into Scandinavia) still has cores on Finland, indicating that they did not abandon it, but Scandinavia has not received those cores. Is this a bug? What would be the best way to procede if I want Finland now - Normal province conquest or liberate Finland or even Sweden?

I formed Scandinavia as Denmark. Now, Sweden (which became incorporated into Scandinavia) still has cores on Finland, indicating that they did not abandon it, but Scandinavia has not received those cores. Is this a bug? What would be the best way to procede if I want Finland now - Normal province conquest or liberate Finland or even Sweden?

I have never formed Scandinavia as Denmark, so I may be wrong, but I don't think you gain cores on Finland that way. You have to form it as Sweden.

Normal conquest is probably the surest way of doing it. Usually a liberated Finland may also apply to join Scandinavia, but
1) that is kind of random.
2) probably won't work if you do not have a core.

Do you have Finnish as accepted culture?

I have never formed Scandinavia as Denmark, so I may be wrong, but I don't think you gain cores on Finland that way. You have to form it as Sweden.

Normal conquest is probably the surest way of doing it. Usually a liberated Finland may also apply to join Scandinavia, but
1) that is kind of random.
2) probably won't work if you do not have a core.

Do you have Finnish as accepted culture?

I do have Finnish as an accepted culture. Guess I'll just have to do it the hard way.

I do have Finnish as an accepted culture. Guess I'll just have to do it the hard way.

As shierholzer said, I seem to be wrong: you should have cores on Finland. I guess it must be a bug, then.

Nope, Danish formed Scandinavia shouldn't have cores in Finland, unless Sweden conquered Finland before the formation.

Aiaiai. I misread your post. Never mind, then. I was right and all is as it should be. :)

Why do i always start in debt with every country i pick?

In debt or negative budget? Most, if not all countries do need their budgets adjusted. Let it run for a few days to balance out, turn down the stockpile and navy slider for a start, set taxes accordingly and adjust your bureaucracy, education and military spending to suit your available funds. Some countries have less income than others, so don't think you can implement the same budget on every country. It also does take awhile for your economy to settle in as some things, as I understand from the forum, are assigned randomly, especially artisans.

When releasing a country as a dominion or satellite what determines whether it will be unciv or civilized?

Specifically I released India, they were unciv with about 10% literacy. I then released Columbia, civilized with about 10% literacy too. So what's the key factor? Culture?

When releasing a country as a dominion or satellite what determines whether it will be unciv or civilized?

Specifically I released India, they were unciv with about 10% literacy. I then released Columbia, civilized with about 10% literacy too. So what's the key factor? Culture?
It's set in the file for every country.

It's set in the file for every country.

It's also initialized within the save files upon game start, so take note. Regardless, their policies and government type are dependent on their home country, despite what may be initialized.

A question of my own: I'm not sure if this is unique to PDM, but, my allies keep randomly dropping in relations, like an average of -1 per year, but at inconsistent intervals, and yet there's no relations decay or other factors that I can take note of. What the hell is going on?

And on a similar note, my satellites keep dropping in relations with me for no reason I can understand. Is this PDM-unique or is there something in the game that's just designed to encourage someone to conquer and rule everything directly?

Infamy will cause relations decay, as will having cores and/or a CB on another country.