• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Because then they'd be in range of the coastal defences. Same reason the Royal Navy didn't cruise in Kiel to destroy the High Seas Fleet in the first world war.

Fortunately if you have naval supremacy you can blockade all the enemy's ports. That way they'll not be able to concentrate against you.

I did AT THE TIME, problem was they put all their tech into navy for some reason, built cruisers and ironclads and just destroyed my navy by just coming out of port despite the fact that I had some 200 capital ships blockaiding each one.

This is also in a semi similar veign..

How does an army that is using BREACH LOADED RIFLES beat an army that is consisted up of infantry and guards using MGs and bolt action rifles, and TANKS... I looked over my battle so often, I couldn't figure it out. only advantage they had was they had a good leader (they never seemed to have a leader with negative attributes) but still, since when does having a good leader allow significantly undeveloped weapons magically penetrate tanks armor and allow soldiers to withstand machine gun fire when they haven't even developed them...

I did AT THE TIME, problem was they put all their tech into navy for some reason, built cruisers and ironclads and just destroyed my navy by just coming out of port despite the fact that I had some 200 capital ships blockaiding each one.

This is also in a semi similar veign..

How does an army that is using BREACH LOADED RIFLES beat an army that is consisted up of infantry and guards using MGs and bolt action rifles, and TANKS... I looked over my battle so often, I couldn't figure it out. only advantage they had was they had a good leader (they never seemed to have a leader with negative attributes) but still, since when does having a good leader allow significantly undeveloped weapons magically penetrate tanks armor and allow soldiers to withstand machine gun fire when they haven't even developed them...

You need to watch where they're building up their navy whilst you're blockading and move ships to support those areas accordingly. About your second thing, it sounds like you're leaving something out...what was the org of each army? army size? attacking/defending? Terrain? Was their army really all infantry? Was was your actual troop composition...not "some infantry, guards and tanks", but with numbers?

This isn´t HOI, Tanks are just "beefier" infantry. No thing like hard and soft attack here. With equal tech, a tank brigade attacking a infantry brigade in good terrain and a good leader can be defeated.

You need to watch where they're building up their navy whilst you're blockading and move ships to support those areas accordingly. About your second thing, it sounds like you're leaving something out...what was the org of each army? army size? attacking/defending? Terrain? Was their army really all infantry? Was was your actual troop composition...not "some infantry, guards and tanks", but with numbers?

I had full tech for army for the time there was nothing else I could research, they were only about 3 tech into each of them. my armies were all above 80% they were not, yet they were inflicting MASS casulties.

They had ONLY infantry thats all, infantry, no guards, no irregulars, no engineers, INFANTRY with breach loading rifle tech. I had infantry and guards with bolt action rifle tech and tanks with all the inventions.

To the other responce that they are beefier infantry... THEY ARE TANKS.

A7V.jpg

mark-iv-tank.jpg

I dont care if 'it isnt HOI' if you say 'oh, guys with civil war era guns can kill those' I'm going to tell you that your combat system is completely broken.

I happen to know from grim experience that 20-30 ironclads can't stand up to 200 frigates, let alone anything heavier. How long did you have them under blockade that they were able to amass a navy capable of beating a 200-ship armada? By my calculations it would take at least a decade with the output of 2-3 ports.

I dont care if 'it isnt HOI' if you say 'oh, guys with civil war era guns can kill those' I'm going to tell you that your combat system is completely broken.

There are many, many problems with the combat system, I'm the first to agree. But it's not "completely broken". Did you check the modifiers? Did they have better generals/terrain, or more importantly, better Tactics tech? Also, if they had Gas attacks, and you didn't have Gas Defence, then even Irregulars will rip through your tanks like Hulk on steroids.

I had full tech for army for the time there was nothing else I could research, they were only about 3 tech into each of them. my armies were all above 80% they were not, yet they were inflicting MASS casulties.

They had ONLY infantry thats all, infantry, no guards, no irregulars, no engineers, INFANTRY with breach loading rifle tech. I had infantry and guards with bolt action rifle tech and tanks with all the inventions.

To the other responce that they are beefier infantry... THEY ARE TANKS.

A7V.jpg

mark-iv-tank.jpg

you still didn't mention the army size...Yeah, the whole tank thing is KIND OF silly, and it's not perfect, but that definitely doesn't equal completely broken.

I'm using the latest 1.4 beta patch.

Are engineers worth building? +40% fort attack is a little vague; is that occupation time or some sort of combat modifier?

Attack and Defense are used based on what side of combat you're on, right? Attack only when attacking, defense only when defending, and Tactics influencing your actual losses? Does Tactics reduce organization damage as well?

Maybe your tanks got stuck in the mud or something.

Maybe his soldiers thought 'barrel' meant they should show up on the battlefield wearing nothing but barrels. :)

There are many, many problems with the combat system, I'm the first to agree. But it's not "completely broken". Did you check the modifiers? Did they have better generals/terrain, or more importantly, better Tactics tech? Also, if they had Gas attacks, and you didn't have Gas Defence, then even Irregulars will rip through your tanks like Hulk on steroids.

I had the highest tech before 1919 with all the inventions, they didnt have most of the 1900s technology including machine guns. We had armies of ABOUT the same size and I was loosing a size number a second or so while they didn't loose any.

I was attacking so of course it gave me all the normal negative penalties for entrenched and terrain.

I had gas defence and attack, they had gas attack and defense.

Thats also another thing that bugs me... Why do you NEED to go to war with someone with gas to develop gas defense... wouldn't seeing how useful it is on your own... and then having the wind blow it back in your own troop's faces like happened IRL be enough to make you get the defense for it?

To colonize an area it need to be within my naval range, but what if I conquer an inner region with no sea connection like ethiopia, would it allow me to colonize nearby areas?

I'd like to know why Canada gets less provinces than the states (region wise), after all Canada is bigger and produces more resources, so I can understand why Canada would have less states (not as industrialized, and more remote), but why does it get less provinces in total?

If i am not mistaken unless Canada would produce less potential RGO resources than the US, when its potential should be more.

I'd like to know why Canada gets less provinces than the states (region wise), after all Canada is bigger and produces more resources, so I can understand why Canada would have less states (not as industrialized, and more remote), but why does it get less provinces in total?

If i am not mistaken unless Canada would produce less potential RGO resources than the US, when its potential should be more.

Canada has 10% of the population of the United States. I think they are modeling this by reducing the number of provinces, thus reducing the number of immigrants. That, and in each "state" I can name probably 1 or 2 places that would have any sizable population during the game's time frame, the rest would be tundra/forest. Despite being colonized, it wasn't really very inhabitable until technology developed further.

I had the highest tech before 1919 with all the inventions, they didnt have most of the 1900s technology including machine guns. We had armies of ABOUT the same size and I was loosing a size number a second or so while they didn't loose any.

I was attacking so of course it gave me all the normal negative penalties for entrenched and terrain.

I had gas defence and attack, they had gas attack and defense.

Thats also another thing that bugs me... Why do you NEED to go to war with someone with gas to develop gas defense... wouldn't seeing how useful it is on your own... and then having the wind blow it back in your own troop's faces like happened IRL be enough to make you get the defense for it?

you should have used some planes.....

you should have used some planes.....

was 1915, not 1919, no planes.

Smeagol upon seeing his uber 10 brigade tank army being pwned by soldiers and artillery:

"MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, WHY YOU LEFT ME?!" (reloads for the 20th time)

Actually, more like... 150 men, 6000 tanks, equipped with top of the line tech, against enemy soldiers armed with civil war tech... I gotta tell you, terrain does not change THAT MUCH when you have more accurate weapons. The more accurate the weapon the less advantageous the terrain becomes, especially if your weapons are less accurate as theirs, regardless if you are attacking or defending.

If I have bolt action and they have breach loaded, that is a serious difference and I can hit accurately from a range they can not I can keep my troops back behind cover firing on them and killing them while they cant hit my soldiers until they have to. Also on this tech level there is the ability to use indirect artillery fire, mortars, this changed the landscape of warfare when you could be accurate with your artillery while not being any where near the enemy, it also allowed them to be portable and less vulnerable to enemy fire, unlike cannon and early machine gun.

Now, you have enemies that cant hit and only have artillery that fires forward against enemies that can hit from a long distance accuratly and artillery that can fire from behind cover and over long distances without any worries of being in the way.

Now bolt action rifles arent THAT fast, but we have machine guns, and as was said in other threads, all tech goes up with the different categories, while first MGs are probably like the gattling gun, the ones that you have with bolt action rifles are more around the Browning 1919 machine gun, which is a high rate of fire and horribly effective machine gun. All of this being one giant deterant for enemy counter attacks, now they cant hit from the engagement range, cant attack because of artillery suppression and machine gun suppression.

Now eventually you have to attack the enemy defensive system, thats inevitable. Ok so, they have civil war tech, artillery is canon (up to Gatling cannons which were very strong but not strong enough to punch a hole in a tank) and rifles, there are no anti tank rifles, no cannons firing AP shells, no guns designed to stop tanks, there is very little they can do to actually stop the tanks from breaking their lines, causing them to scatter as the tanks break over the trenches and the MGs open up. As they scatter infantry follow up behind and take positions before starting it all over again.

Yeah, your right, I was attacking so there was a terrain negative effect, that means I should loose the battle

Last edited: