• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
in the lead up to HoD they were talking about being able to control the armies of your dominions and puppets. Did that happen? How does it work? In my UK game I released Canada as a dominion. I don't seem to be able to move their armies around. We just fought a war against the US together and they helped a lot with occupying, like puppets always did, but I didn't see any option to 'take control of their armies'.

If you call them into a war, then a button will highlight in the diplomacy options for that country. Click on that and you will be able to control their units.

GPs with a land border with the country in which the Witwatersrand gold rush is occurring are eligible for an event that gives exactly one of them a Conquest CB against that country.

Interesting. I should really dig into the event files some day and see what other neat things like this are hidden in there. I'm the only GP that shares a land border with them so that isn't a problem. I do have them all in my own sphere though to keep the Portuguese out during the first half of the game. I should probably go ahead and take them out. Don't know if that will interfere with getting the CB.

If you call them into a war, then a button will highlight in the diplomacy options for that country. Click on that and you will be able to control their units.

I thought I looked for that, but I'll check again. I probably just missed it.

Do not understand this answer. If I have the BOL army chasing me around BOL, they get the x5 attrition multiplier in all provinces not already occupied by me. And if they are chasing me I would not have time to complete the occupation of the target province before I'd have to flee. Could you explain please?

You get them to chase your decoy army into your country, then chase it round and round in your country, while you seige their country with the rest.

What are best ways of raising conciousness and Militiancy? Playing as Russia i want to free the serfs but so far despite me loosing tons of troops in Wars and being a non compromiser they both dont go up by much.

What are best ways of raising conciousness and Militiancy? Playing as Russia i want to free the serfs but so far despite me loosing tons of troops in Wars and being a non compromiser they both dont go up by much.

Consciousness is reduced by needs that are met and increased by needs not being met. Militancy will go up if consciousness is high and the reform people want isn't passed.

So basically, tax the clothes off their back and watch the consciousness rise! Try to avoid tariffs, as they also hurt your factories; use income tax on low and middle class populations instead.

Consciousness is reduced by needs that are met and increased by needs not being met. Militancy will go up if consciousness is high and the reform people want isn't passed.

So basically, tax the clothes off their back and watch the consciousness rise! Try to avoid tariffs, as they also hurt your factories; use income tax on low and middle class populations instead.

The purchase of luxury goods raises CON...other goods needs should not affect CON, only MIL. High LIT and high PLU together will raise CON, especially with press reforms, although the high level of clergy often used to raise LIT will also suppress CON among the poor.

The purchase of luxury goods raises CON...other goods needs should not affect CON, only MIL. High LIT and high PLU together will raise CON, especially with press reforms, although the high level of clergy often used to raise LIT will also suppress CON among the poor.

I think CON ought to be reduced by luxury goods. That's how it works here in America, at least. Consumerism kills class consciousness and turns our politics into theater shows based on dresses and semantic word choices.

What does it do if the player invests into projects? Does that entitle the state to some share of the profits that a factory makes?

It saves the capitalists money, is all. The factory will also automatically be subsidized upon finishing construction. (Be sure to keep an eye on this if you don't want that.) The purpose of investing in your economy is not to create state-owned factories, but to kickstart economic development. You get income from the increased tax and tariff revenues that result.

I think CON ought to be reduced by luxury goods. That's how it works here in America, at least. Consumerism kills class consciousness and turns our politics into theater shows based on dresses and semantic word choices.

I'm not sure that's true. At least, I don't think luxury needs = consumerism. Once your material needs are met, you are free to concern yourself with other ideas, especially dangerous ones like free speech or votes for women. If your needs are not met, however, you may get fed up enough where you want to overthrow the state. Hence, I think it makes sense for luxury needs being met to increase consciousness, and for everyday/life needs not being met to increase militancy. The sweet spot for a dictatorship, then, is to keep people poor enough to be focused on material needs, but wealthy enough not to riot. (As in 1942, where the countries of the world benefited from permanent war because it prevented prosperity.)

Translating the real world to Victoria 2 terms, I'd say that consumerism is a country modifier that increases luxury needs, and hence indirectly reduces consciousness.

Last edited:
I want to have a good base pop of soldiers but now having hundreds of officers/commanders. so how much should i spend for soldier budget? %35, 60, 61?

also what happens if i always use the officers points and create new commanders? new officers pops?

I want to have a good base pop of soldiers but now having hundreds of officers/commanders. so how much should i spend for soldier budget? %35, 60, 61?

also what happens if i always use the officers points and create new commanders? new officers pops?

Nothing with the commanders part, having higher officer pops increases your leadership point gain logically. Officers are every officer in your army; from lieutenants all the way up to generals. You need a good proportion. The leaders you appoint are the highest ranked officers who have leadership of entire armies. The best of the best; or the best kissups, as some of their stats may suggest. (-5 defence? Really? Why are you in the army?)

Lowering military spending will break both your officer counts AND soldier pops. So it's best to keep that at 100%, if you don't want your force limits to lower dramatically, since you're not paying them.

What determines who gets to sell first? On the global market, and within a sphere? Are goods produced by artisans and factories treated differently at all?

Within a sphere, there isn't really an order, I think. Goods go onto the common market, everyone who wants to buy takes their pick, and then what's left is exported to the world market. I'm not really sure how the world market works, though.

Is the anti military policy effect on military score working as designed? It seems ridiculous that a Russia with 3600 military score gets its military might somehow cut in HALF just because the Mensheviks took over. I can understand anti-war policy affecting military score, but halving it seems over the top.

Is the anti military policy effect on military score working as designed? It seems ridiculous that a Russia with 3600 military score gets its military might somehow cut in HALF just because the Mensheviks took over. I can understand anti-war policy affecting military score, but halving it seems over the top.

MIL score doesn't reflect how effective your army is, but how good it looks on the parade grounds. Going from jingoism to anti-military should make your army seem a lot less prestigious.

How much prestige do you lose by letting rebels win? I'm unsure if I should let them take over me as Brazil.