• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can non-secondary powers have colonies, if they are given them by event? If the country is then turned into a puppet by event, does anything happen to their colonies?

Denmark starts with colonies and isn't a GP. Yes - All countries can HOLD colonies. It's the issue of being able to make them

I'm playing as China, fighting a containment war against the UK. I can invade British India by sea, but it won't let me do it over land. There aren't any neutral countries in the way, and right clicking on the provinces with troops selected give me a dot (not an X) but no arrow path. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

I keep hearing mentions of the "best parts" of Africa for colonization. What are they?

I noticed in my Scandinavia game that I'm constantly starved for iron. I'm a GP, 3rd on prestige and I sphered Korea (a few other places too, but none that produce iron), and my factories can still never get iron to function. This is the 1870's. Is there anything else to do about it? I would prefer to refrain from having to conquer large swaths of Russia/Prussia.

I was afraid of that. Well, what's the least gamey way, I am using PDM if that helps at all.

Pretty hard to do something utterly impossible in an un-gamey way.

I keep hearing mentions of the "best parts" of Africa for colonization. What are they?

I noticed in my Scandinavia game that I'm constantly starved for iron. I'm a GP, 3rd on prestige and I sphered Korea (a few other places too, but none that produce iron), and my factories can still never get iron to function. This is the 1870's. Is there anything else to do about it? I would prefer to refrain from having to conquer large swaths of Russia/Prussia.

Around the horn of Africa has lots of tea and coffee; if you need iron, west Africa is better. There's not really a "bad" part of Africa; it depends on which RGOs you want.

Prestige doesn't matter for market access, only total score does. There are several possibilities:

1. Everybody and their brother ahead of you is buying all the iron, possibly because of a war.
2. You haven't research the techs that boost iron production (Clean Coal, Cheap Iron).
3. There's been a global depression and everybody's iron production is light.
4. You, the government, are buying all of the iron and leaving none for your POPs (and thus factories).

Prestige doesn't matter for market access, only total score does.

I've been mislead all this time! You mean if I have 300 military and 0 prestige, and another nation has 150 prestige and 150 military, we have the same ranking for market access?

This is particularly relevant for my current game as Austria where I'm #1 in military (if you don't count the currently unciv China) but like #9 in prestige.

I've been mislead all this time! You mean if I have 300 military and 0 prestige, and another nation has 150 prestige and 150 military, we have the same ranking for market access?

This is particularly relevant for my current game as Austria where I'm #1 in military (if you don't count the currently unciv China) but like #9 in prestige.

You best the UK in millitary? Nice.

It's one of the most recurring myths about Vicky 2; only total score matters for buying order. (I think a manual had "prestige" instead or something). You're exactly right for your example.

I looked it up in the Victoria 2 manual:
The country with the highest Prestige buys what it needs first, and everyone else follows in Prestige order. If supply is less than demand, this means some countries don’t have anything left to buy.
Paradox lied to us; they lied to us all! :p

how do i get rid of base relectice
As far as I can tell from a quick inspection of defines.lua, you don't. Base Reluctance is there to stop countries signing treaties unless it looks like there's something in it for them.

and how do i field more solders
Get more soldier POPs.

Around the horn of Africa has lots of tea and coffee; if you need iron, west Africa is better. There's not really a "bad" part of Africa; it depends on which RGOs you want.
The best part of Africa is Yoruba States, Niger Delta, and Benin, since they have tropical wood that flips to Rubber (a chronically short-supplied resource required for late-game manufactured goods including the automobiles that tank factories need) and they have large populations. (Some of the inland portions of the Congo have flippable tropical wood too, but those have smaller populations.)

And there certainly are bad parts of Africa; Sahara, Western Sahara, Libyan Desert, and Inner Mauritania have only strategic value, not economic value.