• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the order of buying and selling inside a sphere of influence? I would assume it's prestige but the wiki mentions as one of the drawback for Sphering:

"Nations with large artisan populations (such as China) can outproduce national factories and put them out of business"

I'm not sure how the above sentence coincides with a prestige based order.

What does colonial range do (in Heart of Darkness)? Specifically, how does building a fort, railroad or port (+100 colonial range, according to the tooltip) help me colonize, besides the fact that I apparently can't colonize too far away from a port. Where should I build forts and railroads, for colonization purposes?

Edit: For that matter, exactly what kind of bonus do I get for stationing troops in an area I'm colonizing?

What does colonial range do (in Heart of Darkness)? Specifically, how does building a fort, railroad or port (+100 colonial range, according to the tooltip) help me colonize, besides the fact that I apparently can't colonize too far away from a port. Where should I build forts and railroads, for colonization purposes?
Nothing. That's just a way to give all countries a base colonial range (level zero of each building gives 100 range).
Edit: For that matter, exactly what kind of bonus do I get for stationing troops in an area I'm colonizing?
That was for AHD - a brigade in a soon-to-be colony increased the speed drastically. HoD, however has no such bonus, it's just about who runs out of CP first (or who wins the resulting crisis).

So, I've enacted Manifest Destiny as the US and declared war on Mexico with taking Mexican Texas as my first war goal. For whatever reason and without any warning whatsoever (seriously, I don't even get a DOW popup) the UK declares war on me as Mexico's ally and starts invading. They were not allies beforehand. What gives?

Does state admin efficiency affect POP promotion?

When I hover over the promotion/demotion factors in the population screen of clergymen, it says that having 1% bureaucrats increases clergy promotion by 1%. Is that separate from the supposed state admin efficiency modifier?

So, I've enacted Manifest Destiny as the US and declared war on Mexico with taking Mexican Texas as my first war goal. For whatever reason and without any warning whatsoever (seriously, I don't even get a DOW popup) the UK declares war on me as Mexico's ally and starts invading. They were not allies beforehand. What gives?

Does Mexico have a "Friendly" opinion of the UK, or are they in the UK's sphere of influence? If so, the UK is allowed to join Mexico in defensive wars. Alternatively, the UK may sign an alliance with Mexico during the war, and Mexico can then call the UK in as an ally. (You can do the same thing with Texas at the start, just try it.)

Does state admin efficiency affect POP promotion?

When I hover over the promotion/demotion factors in the population screen of clergymen, it says that having 1% bureaucrats increases clergy promotion by 1%. Is that separate from the supposed state admin efficiency modifier?

The admin efficiency determines what % of a POP eligible to promote actually does...what you are seeing is the target type chances to see to what a promoting/demoting POP becomes.

I'm playing a HoD game as Persia. Tried a few different starts as Japan to get a feel for the westernization mechanics, but this really my first shot at an unciv.

Is Conquest the only war goal you can use for the purposes of gaining RPs? Right out the gate I got 22 infamy for annexing Afghanistan and only enough points for one additional military reform.

Should I go for Panjab next? It seems like if I have to wait forever and then eat full infamy again I should grab the most populated states I can manage. Also I think the larger state probably gives more RPs (eg Korea filling you up). Or is that a bad idea because that'll give me a border with the UK and China?

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient use of my infamy.

I'm playing a HoD game as Persia. Tried a few different starts as Japan to get a feel for the westernization mechanics, but this really my first shot at an unciv.

Is Conquest the only war goal you can use for the purposes of gaining RPs? Right out the gate I got 22 infamy for annexing Afghanistan and only enough points for one additional military reform.

Should I go for Panjab next? It seems like if I have to wait forever and then eat full infamy again I should grab the most populated states I can manage. Also I think the larger state probably gives more RPs (eg Korea filling you up). Or is that a bad idea because that'll give me a border with the UK and China?

I'm trying to figure out the most efficient use of my infamy.

Bordering with the UK might be good as you may end up being sphered (although it is Imperial Britain, so the 'closeness' modifier does not apply I do believe) and thus protected until you Westernize. I would agree and say that you should target larger nations for the worth of infamy.

Bordering with the UK might be good as you may end up being sphered (although it is Imperial Britain, so the 'closeness' modifier does not apply I do believe) and thus protected until you Westernize. I would agree and say that you should target larger nations for the worth of infamy.
Not really larger nations - more developed ones. Catching small civs like Uruguay or high literacy uncivs like Hawaii or Korea is best.

Not really larger nations - more developed ones. Catching small civs like Uruguay or high literacy uncivs like Hawaii or Korea is best.

In Persia's initial start I don't think there are any nations meeting that description.

What file lists when a country's political parties become defunct? I was playing the United States, happily led by the Whigs, when suddenly they became defunct and the game automatically put the Republicans in charge. Laissez-faire turned my 300 budget surplus into a deficit of 100.

Is there anything you can do to encourage assimilation of conquered peoples into your accepted cultures?

And is there a quick way to see what percentage of your POPs are an accepted culture globally and/or in a particular state? I know about the graphs in the state and POP screens, but you have to remember what colors all your accepted cultures are and some of those graphs get pretty crowded and hard to distinguish.

EDIT:

Also what are the main benefits of accepted vs unaccepted pops?

Is there anything you can do to encourage assimilation of conquered peoples into your accepted cultures?

Improve literacy, decrease militancy, lower unemployment, meet luxury needs. Basically, keep your population prosperous and the assimilation should happen all on its own. Being in the Americas gives you a pretty massive boost. Also note that accepted cultures get a very large penalty to assimilation; accepted cultures typically don't assimilate to your primary culture.

As for the benefits, accepted POPs are easier to keep happy and are more productive when working. If you have limited citizenship or residency, being an accepted culture or not also determines whether they can vote.

And is there a quick way to see what percentage of your POPs are an accepted culture globally and/or in a particular state? I know about the graphs in the state and POP screens, but you have to remember what colors all your accepted cultures are and some of those graphs get pretty crowded and hard to distinguish.

EDIT:

Also what are the main benefits of accepted vs unaccepted pops?

Not while they are in a province that is a core of a nation with that culture as primary.

Does Mexico have a "Friendly" opinion of the UK, or are they in the UK's sphere of influence? If so, the UK is allowed to join Mexico in defensive wars. Alternatively, the UK may sign an alliance with Mexico during the war, and Mexico can then call the UK in as an ally. (You can do the same thing with Texas at the start, just try it.)

You can beat the UK though as they're not as OP as before this expansion as all i do annex Texas by helping them beat Mexico then let Britain win the race to colonize Washington after i have colonized Idaho and declare war after romanticism research and manifest destiny, depending on their allies if it is only Austria, Greece and Belgium then you can beat them by drawing them into the US after taking border provinces in Upper and Lower Canada using my numbers to beat them. Also have an army deployed in the Northwest of US to prevent the British from taking your North Western states as after you have defeat one of two of their armies in that region they just keep on deploying troops in Nova Scotia or Quebec.

Make sure you research the early military technologies that increase mobilization numbers and tactics as it really helps which enabled me to fight the UK on equal terms and beat them then right after that war begin the War of Mexico, as the British will need time to recover thus won't be strong enough to attack you or intervene for a while. :)

If Britain has Russia or France as an ally it will be extremely challenging though!!

As a GP, how do I take push for a crisis in a particular flashpoint? I'm trying to help Serbia regain it's cores, South Serbia is at 100% tension, and I'm feeling lucky.

How does the "research by fighting" thing for uncivs work exactly? For what wargoals? What determines how many RP's you get?