• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Best way to defend my colonies from random small nations on the other side of the world? I'm playing Belgium to learn the ropes, got myself some East and West African colonies, ended up attacking Vietnam to claim the South half of the country as a colony. I was winning in 'Nam without too much trouble, when suddenly Casablanca is invaded by a Vietnamese Cavalry brigade. It didn't inconvenience me too much, I had some infantry in the area and my navy cleaned up, but still I felt it was kinda random and ahistorical.

Also, do closed factories count towards my industrial score at all? And is there any way to get capitalists to build factories that actually make sense? I have like 16, but 3/4 of them are closed, because apparantly if I have two factories, one 100% employed and the other 10%, capitalists think it's a brilliant idea to build five more utterly random ones.

Last edited:
Station a small navy in chokepoints (Malacca etc.). These will deal unciv clipper raiding parties with ease. Wild things happen because of the AI's naval no-attrition.

You can try encouraging specific industry with a national focus. Whenever they start a project, they are bound to start another if you destroy it as soon as it starts to build. Or if there is 90%+ employment.

My question is how to put Holstein in sphere some people say they form NFG in 1 year how my truce last 4 years and i cant influence due to them being a puppet at least im pretty sure i cant.

Playing as NGF and i'm gearing up for war with France, for now i'm trying to get Belgium out of Frances sphere so they'll help me (they're my puppet) but France keeps banning me.

1. WTF? how does this make any bloody sense? their government isn't allowed to do anything without orders from Berlin so how can they ban my embassy?

2. any tips for war with France in general, i can tell you more details later

France is a paper dragon they put all there men in 3 stacks most the time do the same tell you start winning then surround those men with 1 brigade each on all sides once they lose all the men die/captured and all those units gone. Plus there your puppet most I believe they have to join your side of the war.

No because they constantly say at the beginning that they sphere Denmark then Holstein how is this possible.Without going to war.

No because they constantly say at the beginning that they sphere Denmark then Holstein how is this possible.Without going to war.
Diplomatically. On day one, declare the Fraternal War (hegemony CB against Austria) and set Holstein and Denmark to maximum influence priority. While your army is busy beating Austria, your diplomats are raising your influence in Holstein and Denmark. When GB loses control of Hannover due to Vicky being crowned, influence them. Once you've won the war with Austria and got Denmark, Holstein, and Hannover in your sphere diplomatically, form NGF.

Then you build new brigades to replace the ones that evaporated when you annexed the north German minors and go after France for Alsace-Lorraine. Once you've done that, you can form Germany. (Best to not give Bavaria a call to arms for that war, since they might reach #8 due to the military score increase for being at war and mobilizing.)

For more advanced play, add (and enforce, obviously) "Acquire Bohemia" and "Humiliate" wargoals to the Fraternal War so that Austria falls out of GP status.

Is it just me or does Belgium have really low literacy? I whacked education investment up to as high as possible, but it's still only about 53% many decades later. Any ways to speed the process?

That, and researching the techs giving education efficiency (Culture tab, middle column I believe).
Yes. In particular, the Biologism tech (available in 1850) unlocks the Darwinism discovery, which gives a whopping +50% to education efficiency.

Austria declared war to liberate Schleswig Holstein from me as Denmark (1838). Realistically, can I "win" this war (force a white peace) or should I just concede? I've won a few battles by picking fights carefully and counter attacking with my main army each time the Austrians engage some local garrison troops, granting me +2 war score a piece, but I'm quickly running out of men and even massive defeats are only giving Austria like 1.5 War Exhaustion compared to 5.5 for me.

Can't really complain, I guess it's realistic that a GP with literally several times my industry and manpower isn't put off my losing a couple of divisions :p

By the way what is Austria solider pops every time i try to occupy them they keep some how getting 20k men past my lines and they just keep coming are the NF on solider?BTW after i do this will there be any great powers that can possibly defeat my army.

Why isn't Hunt Rebels working!?

Well, on the global market, first No1 in overall ranking buys all stuff it needs then No2 and so on.
So if you're quite low in rank, and trying to buy something in undersupply, well then there's simply nothing left when it's your turn.
Otherwise you're probably trying to buy some goods not available currently (eg oil, rubber and derivated products).
it just says forming reserves and then the sign fades away and i get no goods

Is it possible to queue up research? I want to be able to set up queue of what to research first, second, and so on.