• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I checked world production. I am now at the year 1899. There continues not to be any timber produced by anyone anywhere in the world.

I'm using AHD. So if it's a bug, is it a new one?

EDIT: okay, I'm relaxing little now :) Timber has started to be produced and I'm getting enough to build my naval bases :)

Last edited:
What is the penalty for attacking someone while under the flag of truce? If you have a CB, does it make a difference? In other words, if I have a truce with someone but a CB against them, can I attack them without any other penalties?

What is the penalty for attacking someone while under the flag of truce? If you have a CB, does it make a difference? In other words, if I have a truce with someone but a CB against them, can I attack them without any other penalties?

Significant hits to prestige and MIL.

Does anyone know how military supply priority is determined? For example, say I have a few divisions of artillery, and a fleet of commerce raiders; let's suppose for my example that the land brigades require 0.2 artillery, while the navy requires 2 artillery. If I put my national stockpile slider to the maximum while artillery is set at 'automate' in the trade window, I'll be buying 2.2 artillery every day, which is pretty expensive. If I manually set my artillery to 0.2 in the trade window and max out my national stockpile, what will happen? I envisage 3 outcomes:

Land brigades get all of their artillery needs, while the navy get no artillery
The artillery is split out in some ratio between both land and naval forces
Land brigades net none of their artillery needs, and the entire daily 0.2 artillery go to supplying the navy

Is it just me, or do people still emigrate in very large numbers even if all classes have Life Needs and lots of them Luxury Needs fulfiled, seems impossible to stop it or at least make it smaller other than reforms and ideology change.

Is it just me, or do people still emigrate in very large numbers even if all classes have Life Needs and lots of them Luxury Needs fulfiled, seems impossible to stop it or at least make it smaller other than reforms and ideology change.
Er, yes. That's why you enact reforms (and research the rightmost column of the Industry table).

I think the interval over which revolt risk is measured is not the same as the interval at which it is checked, so it becomes an "over this interval you would expect one revolt on average" statement, not a "this will revolt next revolt check".
What exactly is the interval? I think that's the question I should have asked. I've gone days and even months with a 100% RR, I'm trying to understand how the system works.

If you are only a civilized nation is there any way to see what all the colonies and territories of another country are? Without scrolling across the entire globe? :)

If you specifically want to see colonies, you can click the 'civilization' map view mode, and all the land that is solid green with black diagonal stripes are land that belongs to civilized countries, but aren't their states (i.e. are colonies.)

AHD-only, though. If you're playing Vanilla, I don't really know what the easy way is.

If you specifically want to see colonies, you can click the 'civilization' map view mode, and all the land that is solid green with black diagonal stripes are land that belongs to civilized countries, but aren't their states (i.e. are colonies.)

AHD-only, though. If you're playing Vanilla, I don't really know what the easy way is.

I recently upgraded to AHD and it was well worth it :) Only 10 bucks on steam anyway.

Hi to everyone, actually im playing a game with spain, and im transforming the colonial provinces into true states in order to get factories there, for this is required 1% of national bureucrats which I get via national focus. I have seen this is faster with provinces with very low pops and harder in provinces with large pops, so what I do is conquer low pop provinces in order to get fast colonization.

My question is, what is better ? just have countries in my esphere, conquer low pop regions, or conquer high pop regions ? Or just conquer large pop region and not making them a true state ?

Hi to everyone, actually im playing a game with spain, and im transforming the colonial provinces into true states in order to get factories there, for this is required 1% of national bureucrats which I get via national focus. I have seen this is faster with provinces with very low pops and harder in provinces with large pops, so what I do is conquer low pop provinces in order to get fast colonization.

My question is, what is better ? just have countries in my esphere, conquer low pop regions, or conquer high pop regions ? Or just conquer large pop region and not making them a true state ?

If you are pressed for factories and need more, you make states. If you need more raw materials, keep colonies as colonies to ensure as much attention as possible is paid to the RGOs in that province instead of any lame attempt at industry.

I find that basically for the entire game the computer always has a tremendously higher organization number for his combat troops than I do. Outside of bonuses for your generals and from your technology, how exactly does this dynamic work? If I keep breaking apart and reassembling armies does that make it difficult for them to get a very high organization rating? If that's the case, I guess I should keep the units together as a "true" first Army, or 2nd Army, or 3rd Army, etc.

Also, if someone could talk about exactly what kind of hit to your troops you take entering a short supply zone I would appreciate it. Specifically how long do you have to be in the zone for it to happen, and if you have a couple of armies is it different for each of them than if you lumped them together as one army?

Thanks!

Tom

If you are pressed for factories and need more, you make states. If you need more raw materials, keep colonies as colonies to ensure as much attention as possible is paid to the RGOs in that province instead of any lame attempt at industry.

Then I think I have not been doing a good game since my national factories are much better with no oversee penalty and I have plenty of pops at home. The point is I also wanted more workers/consumers/soldiers in order to have a bigger country, I think I need a goog and deep guide in order to make better. Im having fun games now

Last edited:
[...] organization number for [...] combat troops [...]

[...] short supply [...]

As to organization, apart from the game difficulty settings it's only tech and generals that determine the max organization of an army, IIRC. Not having a general command your troops is a flat -20% org, although i am unsure whether this is added to or multiplied with the base org and tech bonuses. Additionally your national stockpile slider determines the max org possible for your troops, so if fighting equal teched enemies you have to go 100% stockpile and also be able to fully supply your troops, either through your own industry or by acquiring the needed materials from the world market. Although being able to fully supply your troops (with max nat stockpile) might just play a role in regaining org not in its max value.

It also might just seem that your enemy has better organization than you if you are taking the wrong stance on fighting your enemy in a given period. In combat between uncivilized countries i feel that attacking is the only viable route, whereas fighting between civilized countries up to and especially with machine guns a much more defensive approach is advisable, unless you have a definite tech advantage or feel the expenditure of countless lives justifies your goal and is sustainable.
The org loss in combat is tied to the attack/defensive stats of the engaged unit types, depending on which side is doing the attacking/defending. Until and including machine guns defensive has the advantage in most cases and thus a defending army is more likely to inflict hefty org (and of course strength) losses, whereas the attackers will inflict less casualties on org/str with comparable die rolls in their favour.
These defensive stat advantages are amplified by defensive die modifiers like dig in bonus and terrain bonuses; with the general's attack/defensive attribute adding more to that. So, until you research bolt-action rifles, if you have the numbers be sure to also have a general with attack bonus and do your attacking in plains without crossing a river and at least one of cavalry/hussars/guards to reduce initial dig in bonus, else just lure your enemy into defensive battles by baiting the AI with small stacks and moderately reinforcing these, all the while keeping the upper hand, so it pours more troops into that particular battle. With bolt-action rifles you can relax a bit and act more offensively, without gambling of course, as attacking a fully dug in tech-equal enemy in fortified mountains across a river is still not the smartest thing to do.

Regarding supply - the attrition kicks in the moment the supply needs of all regiments in the province, no matter how they are organised (i cannot remember ever seeing a general that reduces supply requirements), exceeds the province's supply rating. If you select an army in a province and mouse over the attrition number in the upper right of its details the game will show you an overview of the supply needs of all the troops stationed in that province with a breakdown of the province's supply and additional factors influencing it (additional supply requirements for mountains/jungles/adjacent hostile forts if in war). The medicine tech is a must have because its inventions reduce the supply needs of your units for up to 25% with all inventions acquired, i.e. a stack of 24k will then only require a supply rating of 18 instead of 24 without these inventions.
If your attrition is greater than 0% all your units loose soldiers depending on how far above the province's supply rating you are up to a maximum percentage. If your reinforcement rate, which is also muddily detailed when mousing over the attrition percentage in the unit details, matches attrition the troop numbers become stable.

I just conquered Vlaandern from the Flemish revolter state. It has a large Craftsman population.(120,000 of Accepted culture) Why don't they move(at least some of them) to States with empty factory spaces in Holland.

I wasn't able to conquer Brussels (where their factories are)

I ended up building New factories for them but a about 60,000 of them are stubbornly refusing to move.

Tiuz, what specific items do I need to keep stockpiled and in what quantities to keep my army well supplied in the field? Would it be the same items used to build the unit? And would it be that amount each month, or what?

And yes, I was talking strictly about organization, not defensive factors, etc. I often try to goad the computer into an attack if I have good defensive bonuses, terrain, I'm dug in, maybe I have machine guns, whatever. But I wasn't aware of this supply issue. That must be what's going on early in the game when I have a small fight and my guys collapse in a hurry.

Tiuz, what specific items do I need to keep stockpiled and in what quantities to keep my army well supplied in the field? Would it be the same items used to build the unit? And would it be that amount each month, or what?

And yes, I was talking strictly about organization, not defensive factors, etc. I often try to goad the computer into an attack if I have good defensive bonuses, terrain, I'm dug in, maybe I have machine guns, whatever. But I wasn't aware of this supply issue. That must be what's going on early in the game when I have a small fight and my guys collapse in a hurry.

You can find out which goods and what quantities an army needs by mousing over the supply bar in the army detail view. It's in the upper left and usually green with red showing when the unit is not fully supplied. And yes it is the goods needed to build the unit in question. Mousing over the expenditures for your national stockpile in the budget view gives an overview of what you spent on unit supplies and construction goods, albeit not telling you what is needed.

Bear in mind that your national administration efficiency as seen in the budget view increases spending on supply needs if not at 100%.

Early in the game your max org is low when compared to later and a devastating dice roll in the first combat round(s) (like 9 vs 0) can go a long way in ensuring that victory in that particual battle is unachievable due to your org getting battered quickly. Add in the dozen days you have to stay in battle before you can retreat and you are thrown back to watching your enemy do as he pleases while you wait to regain org, which can be painfully slow with little to no morale boosts from tech and is made worse by lacking supplies (i think).
It can be a pain getting the supply goods needed, even later in the game, if you are lower ranked than warring/high brigade count countries, are not producing the goods needed, and don't have a stockpile to live off and bridge small shortages. If i can afford i run with 500 or even higher stockpiles of key military goods (artillery, canned food, small arms, ammo, wine, liquor ...) so a sudden shortage in times of war does not cripple me immediately and i have a buffer - timely noticing a longer shortage is another problem. It won't help with serious shortages and/or long protracted wars and it might be advisable to cut your losses and abandon wargoals if you haven't made considerable advances towards them (only occupation and minor skirmishes are in the way of winning), or worse all higher ranked powers/primary suppliers are mobilized and in war hogging all the needed goods. IIRC you also don't trade with countries you are at war with, so if the primary producer of military goods is your enemy your supply situation can go south in a hurry.

Lest i forget, you should always be up to date in military tactics, always. That's the last column in the army tech view and advances here significantly reduce org and strength losses in combat. Fighting at an early disadvantage in this field (like you only having 100% and your enemy at 200%, not so much with a 400% against 500%) is a road to disaster all by itself. But also a good way of finding easy targets to pick on by checking their military tactics in the diplomatic view->wars tab->mousing over their brigade count.

It also might be i am missing something important and somebody with more insight can chip in.

What exactly is the interval? I think that's the question I should have asked. I've gone days and even months with a 100% RR, I'm trying to understand how the system works.
So does nobody know the answer to the question I posed almost exactly 24 hours ago? :unsure: