• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a penalty for dishonoring an alliance when an ally comes under attack? The computer seems to do it an awful lot and I feel like I haven't seen any penalty. A prestige hit, perhaps? I'm careful making alliances because I don't want to break them when my ally is attacked.

Thanks for the help

If I am in the middle of researching a technology and I want to switch to a different technology, will the first technology still be researched at whatever percentage I halted it when I eventually go back to it?

What's the difference between your SoI and a puppet, in terms of what they do for you?

Is there a penalty for dishonoring an alliance when an ally comes under attack? The computer seems to do it an awful lot and I feel like I haven't seen any penalty. A prestige hit, perhaps? I'm careful making alliances because I don't want to break them when my ally is attacked.

Thanks for the help

It's just a prestige hit, and the country involved probably won't trust you in the future.

If I am in the middle of researching a technology and I want to switch to a different technology, will the first technology still be researched at whatever percentage I halted it when I eventually go back to it?

Nope. It's all wiped out.

What's the difference between your SoI and a puppet, in terms of what they do for you?

A puppet provides no economic benefit.

What determines how many military units you can field, both without mobilizing, and with mobilizing?

I think I just answered the first part of my own question. It's regions, isn't it? I'm Chile and it's like 1872 and I can only field 3 land units without mobilizing. I just realized I only have 3 regions. Is that what it is? Does it get related to population in anyway? Are there any technologies that increase the amount of my "standing army?" I know there are mobilization bonus technologies, but what about for your standing army?

What determines how many military units you can field, both without mobilizing, and with mobilizing?

I think I just answered the first part of my own question. It's regions, isn't it? I'm Chile and it's like 1872 and I can only field 3 land units without mobilizing. I just realized I only have 3 regions. Is that what it is? Does it get related to population in anyway? Are there any technologies that increase the amount of my "standing army?" I know there are mobilization bonus technologies, but what about for your standing army?

Its down to soldier POPs. You need 1000 in a POP for it to build 1 unit, 3000 to build 2, and then each additional 3000 allows another unit to be built.

Its down to soldier POPs. You need 1000 in a POP for it to build 1 unit, 3000 to build 2, and then each additional 3000 allows another unit to be built.

Okay, so if I want to field a larger army I need to stimulate growth in soldier pops, right?

I thought I remembered one of you guys saying that there was a danger to that if you have a lot of rebels, which I do. Is that right?

The danger of overproduction

Seems that being in the 19th century I didn't get the lessons from the 1929 world economic crisis. Playing as France, in 1870 my nation is (too?) well industrialized, producing 25-50% of the world production of some goods. Now it seems there is an economic downturn and I'm stuck with big surpluses, many factories struggling and rising unemployment.

First question. Should I set me some production limit when building factories ? Like not more than 10-25% more than my interior needs of a good, to avoid being too reliant on the world demand and fragile to downturns.

Second question. I think there is no way to "downgrade" factories to lower levels once the improvement is built ? If I understand well, the incentive to build multiple factories of a same good in many provinces is that you can close one or two of them when you want to reduce production (I actually have the problem of relying on only one level 7 steel factory with surpluses and I cannot close it without destroying others factories needing steel).

Third question. How to stop the spamming of ill-advised factories from my capitalists (I'm tired of destructing these factories over and over) ? Should I tax my capitalist up to 100% so they have no money left to act that stupidly ?

I'm around the year 1885 and a resource that should be abundant – timber – is completely unavailable. No one is producing any at all. Without it I can't build or expand any naval bases, which is a part of my current strategy. This really sucks. How can there be no timber in the world at this time? There seems to be plenty of furniture and paper.

I'm around the year 1885 and a resource that should be abundant – timber – is completely unavailable. No one is producing any at all. Without it I can't build or expand any naval bases, which is a part of my current strategy. This really sucks. How can there be no timber in the world at this time? There seems to be plenty of furniture and paper.

What rank are you? If you're too low down the line then maybe all the timber is being used by factories of higher ranked powers? Did you check the data on world timber production? If there's actually none produced it may be a bug.

Playing as Sicily and the year is 1860. For the last few years my economy has been plummeting. Poor pops are getting none of their needs, middle class getting them only partly, unemployment is sky high and those with jobs cant find the goods they need on the market. I have four factories and they are only surviving because of subsidies. A few game years ago everything went suberb and the future was looking great. What is happening? and more important: what do i do to fix it?

Some additional info: regions are the original sicily ones plus Sardinia, Tunisia and the Ottoman Libya ones. A few years ago I was in a war with the Ottomans which lasted for about a year and a half; At the start of the war I had 200k in funds and was making 100-200 a day. Somewhere during the war something happened and at the end of the war I was losing hundreds a day. I'm currently down to about 30k in funds, losing 100-150 a day with an empty national bank. The future is looking grim.

Power techs (in industry) were researched by your competitors and not by you. 1860 is about right for when more and more AI countries will get Steam Turbine. At least that's my guess. By the way, i have a sneaky suspicion Management Strategy might be a culprit for many 1880 crashes.

Why is it That Transvaal becomes a Non-Colonial State? and Ulundi(Ex-Zululand) becomes a Colonial State in my Dutch Empire?

I used Conquest CB on Transvaal and Protectorate CB on Zulu's.

First question. Should I set me some production limit when building factories ? Like not more than 10-25% more than my interior needs of a good, to avoid being too reliant on the world demand and fragile to downturns.
If you can manage your industry, controlling overproduction is a good idea..but someone as big as France, seems like tedious work to me.
Second question. I think there is no way to "downgrade" factories to lower levels once the improvement is built ? If I understand well, the incentive to build multiple factories of a same good in many provinces is that you can close one or two of them when you want to reduce production (I actually have the problem of relying on only one level 7 steel factory with surpluses and I cannot close it without destroying others factories needing steel).
Factories downgrade with time if they are unprofitable and firing workers. It goes automatic, but it takes awhile.
Third question. How to stop the spamming of ill-advised factories from my capitalists (I'm tired of destructing these factories over and over) ? Should I tax my capitalist up to 100% so they have no money left to act that stupidly ?
Use NF's to direct industry development, leave all the factories they build and that go bust to fill up the slots if you can. Once full, they can't keep building more crap, though they might want to reopen that canned goods factory for the nth time of course.

Why is it That Transvaal becomes a Non-Colonial State? and Ulundi(Ex-Zululand) becomes a Colonial State in my Dutch Empire?

I used Conquest CB on Transvaal and Protectorate CB on Zulu's.

Transvaal is a westernised country, zulu is an uncivilized nation. Hence the different result. Conquering uncivilized countries as another unciv gives you states though.

When the AI is building a dumb factory, put NF for the industry you want and close the factory. You only need to have the NF in place for a couple of days if you put it in a state where the AI wants to build. The AI very rarely opens or destroys factories itself, so you can leave bankrupt factories as placeholders to stop the AI building new factories if you don't have something you want them to build.

What exactly determines when a rebellion crops up? Because having a 100% revolt risk and having no rebellion at all is not informative in the slightest. >.>

What exactly determines when a rebellion crops up? Because having a 100% revolt risk and having no rebellion at all is not informative in the slightest. >.>
I think the interval over which revolt risk is measured is not the same as the interval at which it is checked, so it becomes an "over this interval you would expect one revolt on average" statement, not a "this will revolt next revolt check".

The danger of overproduction

Seems that being in the 19th century I didn't get the lessons from the 1929 world economic crisis. Playing as France, in 1870 my nation is (too?) well industrialized, producing 25-50% of the world production of some goods. Now it seems there is an economic downturn and I'm stuck with big surpluses, many factories struggling and rising unemployment.

You should only really be producing the goods your pops need. Plan colonization around autarky and don't become reliant on an export of a few key goods. From there just monitor production and use internally and manage it so that you have minor exports, that way you don't rely on global demand but on manageable domestic demand.