• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the key to actually afford going to war? I'm keeping the national stockpile around 50-60% during peace, to get a nice profit, but I'm thousands in the red when at war. Even when I've saved up a million pounds, a war with 100% stockpile will bankrupt me within half a year. I'm at about 1910 currently and some sort of Great War will surely be the end of me.

And is it really necessary for you entire millitary to go into warmode even when you just use 3-4 brigades to take some territory from a minor? It seems kind of silly that my armies in Amsterdam need to consume a double amount of supplies just because I'm besieging Bali. Or am I missing something?

What's the key to actually afford going to war? I'm keeping the national stockpile around 50-60% during peace, to get a nice profit, but I'm thousands in the red when at war. Even when I've saved up a million pounds, a war with 100% stockpile will bankrupt me within half a year. I'm at about 1910 currently and some sort of Great War will surely be the end of me.

And is it really necessary for you entire millitary to go into warmode even when you just use 3-4 brigades to take some territory from a minor? It seems kind of silly that my armies in Amsterdam need to consume a double amount of supplies just because I'm besieging Bali. Or am I missing something?

Lower education and adm. spend if necessary. Disable all navy-related purchases if there is no need for it. You can go near 0% NS as soon as you sit on every enemy province. New hires won't topple the unit sitting on top of them, even if siege is nowhere near through.

In biggest crunch I have NS 100% and everything else at 0%, even soldiers. Probably I've also chosen not to build any warships so I won't have to fund idle ships when I only need to supply land artillery.

Keep NS at 0% during peace the next time.

Netherlands especially should have no problem in funding military. You should be swimming in guldens from Java.

One way to save is to raise the cheapest units (inf) from colonies and artillery from home. This is due to adm. efficiency. You pay 1+100-adm.eff% (2x with 0% AE) for supplying each unit. So Javan units start at 75% more expensive. This extra cost could be labeled as "corruption".

Last edited:
Lower education and adm. spend if necessary. Disable all navy-related purchases if there is no need for it. You can go near 0% NS as soon as you sit on every enemy province. New hires won't topple the unit sitting on top of them, even if siege is nowhere near through.

Can be problematic when rebels begin to spawn however.

What exactly do artisans do? Where and when do I want them and in what percentages?

Artisans act as sort of "Mini factories" producing goods of their choice out of materials. You want to keep them alive early game until you can industrialize properly, and once you've done that they'll be pushed into high tech fields or turned into some other type of pop once they start losing money.(In theory... I wish the transition took less time...)

What exactly do artisans do? Where and when do I want them and in what percentages?

Artisans make stuff for your government and people. you'll be wanting some of them to promote to cpaitalists with enough cash to get into investiting in infrastructre and factories. They are quite fluid in terms of production, essentially making stuff they can sell and being able to switch between products unlike factories. They'll buy stuff off the internal as well as the global market if they can afford, so in theory at least, negative tarrifs should help them out to get their hands on things they need to make stuff. They are not really a big group of people to worry much about...they essentially become redundant the day you industrialise and are replaced as your industry grows. If you are sphered, they are competing directly with the SoI masters production, which suffers equally as any industry would.

I've personally never found them to be very useful..occasionally as an unciv I have used the national focus on them to try to grow a production base, but never seen much improvement. Like aristocrats, they are on the way out when the game picks up.

If you keep an eye on your production screen, you'll see what they are making which gives a clue as to what industries your country can support off the bat generally. But some posters have indicated that this element gets randomly reset when you load up a save game, meaning not much control over actual production. But it is, I would say, generally stabilized.

As for the amounts, unlike craftsmen or clerks, I have seen it swing from a few percent to way into the double digits.

Aim to run at 100% during peace and 50% during minor wars. That way you have no change to your economy whether you are at peace or beating up on a minor. You shouldn't need 100% funding unless you are going up against a significantly stronger military power than yourself.

Where does Algeria's start-of-game flag come from?

What exactly do the boxer rebels in china do if successful? I've never played as china, so I only have a vague idea that whateevr happens, it ends with China being at war with a bunch of european nations. Would like to know for sure though.

What exactly do the boxer rebels in china do if successful? I've never played as china, so I only have a vague idea that whateevr happens, it ends with China being at war with a bunch of european nations. Would like to know for sure though.

Boxers are basically Chinese specific reactionaries. Like other revolutions they change the government and roll back westernization. They, like other revolutions, release puppets and in the case of China release substates. The substates do retain Chinese cores though so after Westernization you can fight to "re-unite" China since the substates won't be instantly be absorbed when China westernizes.

The Boxer Rebellion CBs that GPs get when these rebel types appear I believe are basically Cut-Down-to-Size CBs. I personally like to let the revolution run its course and hopefully succeed. After it succeeds you can demand concessions directly from the substates as well has establish protectorates on those with <5 states. They become much more vulnerable.

Basically if you want to take over China Boxers are good and if you are China they are bad.

Well, against the Balinese: eliminate their army and set Stockpile to zero. If you're not at war (or crushing some sort of rebellion), nor building anything yourself (troops/ships/factories/ports/forts/railways), you need basically zero spending. However, if someone declares war on you, supply needs one or two weeks to come back to 100% (and of course, if you're lacking important military goods in your own empire). As a big country like Russia, that's no problem - just retreat. What you also need to know: any country with overseas possessions (provinces neither connected by land to your capital, nor being on the same continent), will need a good supply of Steamer/Clipper Convoys to get anything out of the RGOs being overseas (btw, Blockades only grant Warscore - they didn't effect anything else).

Just upgraded to AHD and I must say I like it a lot. Just a few little bells and whistles from the beginning that smoothed things out. I also like the ability to try to fabricate a cassus belli. Good stuff :)

QUESTION: I'm Central America. I'm about 20 years in. Mexico has placed me in their SOI. The United States is my ally. The US declared war on Mexico to capture Texas. The British are helping the Mexicans. I fabricated a cassus belli against Mexico but the game will not allow me to declare war against them. Am I not allowed to declare war against them if I am in their sphere? Or is it because my ally declared war on them but did not invite me?

I don't want to be in their sphere. How can I get out of it?

Just upgraded to AHD and I must say I like it a lot. Just a few little bells and whistles from the beginning that smoothed things out. I also like the ability to try to fabricate a cassus belli. Good stuff :)

QUESTION: I'm Central America. I'm about 20 years in. Mexico has placed me in their SOI. The United States is my ally. The US declared war on Mexico to capture Texas. The British are helping the Mexicans. I fabricated a cassus belli against Mexico but the game will not allow me to declare war against them. Am I not allowed to declare war against them if I am in their sphere? Or is it because my ally declared war on them but did not invite me?

Become a Great Power.

Or let rebels win by occupying your capital for a year, but this will only be temporary. The only way to stay out of a sphere permanently is to become and remain a Great Power.

I'm not sure where feature requests are meant to go (or if there's any point in making them), but here goes anyway:

I get really tired of deleting factories from low population/infrastructure/wrong culture states, built because capitalists are obsessed with having at least one factory everywhere. Having a button to "lock" a state so that factories will not/cannot be built there would be really, really useful. (It wouldn't be giving the player any new powers, as all government types allow closing/destroying factories. It's just automation.)

The Sinai and Sahara deserts really don't need factories ...

Laissez Faire parties don't.
Hmm, maybe it's just in the mod I'm using that they can.

In any case, the button could just be greyed out if the party doesn't allow closing/destroying factories.

Lower your relations to 0 or less, become a secondary power, declare war on them to get out of sphere. It's an option in your politics tab.

I'm not sure where feature requests are meant to go (or if there's any point in making them), but here goes anyway:

I get really tired of deleting factories from low population/infrastructure/wrong culture states, built because capitalists are obsessed with having at least one factory everywhere. Having a button to "lock" a state so that factories will not/cannot be built there would be really, really useful. (It wouldn't be giving the player any new powers, as all government types allow closing/destroying factories. It's just automation.)

The Sinai and Sahara deserts really don't need factories ...

I agree 100% with you, at some point it becomes ridiculously tedious to continually watch to delete doomed factories built in completely ill-advised places (not just suboptimal).