• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry if this has been asked already, but I'm not really sure where to put my national focus's. Is there any formula you guys use to determine "ok, I want to put my national focus here, for X reason" ?

Or is there anything specific I should be looking at to determine what the best choice is?

At the moment I have 3/4 national focus's placed. Since Liberal rebels are spawning up in 3 states (playing as the USA), I've put national focus on them to focus more towards Conservative like the rest of the USA. But, no idea what to do with my last National Focus slot (Soon to be 1 more extra one as well).

Edit: Also forgot about Taxes. When setting the taxes, is the 100% How much your taxing them? or? What exactly is the % referring too? and how does this effect them exactly?

[... UK and Mexico ...]

For the NFs - i usually go first bureaucrats to 1% then clergy to 2% starting with the most populous state and working my way down the list. Then it's soldiers/craftsmen/clerks depending on whether i need to build my military or my industry, with a few capitalists thrown in between. In between the NFs get used up by colonisation, if i choose to go that route.

The party loyalty NF is probably not helping you with your rebel problem. Open your population view, select your whole country and sort by size. Now check your rebellious pops in the list to see what makes them angry and see to changing that.

When you mouse over the tax rate in your budget view it will tell you what the effective tax rate is. The effective tax rate is improved by technology and mostly inventions from the commerce techs (and is important for when you switch to laissez-faire, as there is a maximum 50% nominal tax rate with them). In the beginning of the game there seldomly seems to be any reason to not tax 100% as effective tax rate will be in the low 20ies anyways. Later on i usually tax the lower and middle stratas as much as i can without starving my population, sometimes lowering taxes for the lower strata in the hope of encouraging promotion (additionally to demotion) of labourers/farmers to craftsmen and have more craftsmen promote to clerks, too. Depending on the circumstanes higher strata get anything from 0% to maximum effective tax rate, the circumstances being how much money my capitalists need to not demote and invest in railroads/factories.
You can see the results of your taxation in the budget screen in the pie charts next to each tax rate. Red is not good (unless it's only artisans that don't get their life needs), cyan is pops getting luxuries and a double-edged sword: your pops are more likely to promote (although i usually don't want promotion from the middle strata) and at the same time their consciousness increases, which makes them uppity.

I don't think there is much chance of the UK acting on behalf of your expansionist dreams. They likely as not see you as a rival and will do everything to keep your development throttled and you will have to confront them sooner or later. As to warring Mexico use your influence points to remove them out of UKs sphere and then push the UK down to Cordial if not even Neutral or worse, if the UK is allied with Mexico having Mexico at Hostile towards the UK might make them rethink their positively answering a call to war from Mexico.

How do I stop my armies from turning into rebels?
Going to need more information there. To what type of rebel are they transforming? Are you paying them enough (i.s. are they getting their needs?). Are all of your soldier POPs rebelling or is it some from a certain geographical area?

How do I stop my armies from turning into rebels?

Always keep them happy (military slider at 100% to prevent them from switching to rebels to a certain extent)

Going to need more information there. To what type of rebel are they transforming? Are you paying them enough (i.s. are they getting their needs?). Are all of your soldier POPs rebelling or is it some from a certain geographical area?

I think I kind of figured it out. It was Belgian nationalists, and I see one can look at each brigade and see if they are part of a potential rebellion. I'm still learning.

Another question: My millitary score is pretty low (20, ranked 24th) and the tooltip says armies and soldiers add 0.052 to the score, and leaders and big ships adds the remaining 19,5+ score. How is this calculated? I have fielded 37 brigades divided in 5 armies, while for instances Denmark has 10 brigades and this adds 11 to their millitary score. Thats more than 200 times my score, despite me having 4 times the soldiers. What am I missing?

Another question: My millitary score is pretty low (20, ranked 24th) and the tooltip says armies and soldiers add 0.052 to the score, and leaders and big ships adds the remaining 19,5+ score. How is this calculated? I have fielded 37 brigades divided in 5 armies, while for instances Denmark has 10 brigades and this adds 11 to their millitary score. Thats more than 200 times my score, despite me having 4 times the soldiers. What am I missing?

Military score is based on a lot of things - number of generals, mobilization pool, capital ships and supply consumption, which is most vague.

Supply consumption depends on technology, type of troops, military policy of your ruling party and whether you're at war.

Pacifism decreases supply consumption A LOT and being at war raises it A LOT. So if you have more divisions but pacifist party in power, your score may be much lower than Denmark's which has jingoist party. Also, if Denmark is at war and mobilized it affects mil score a lot.

Later in the game, capital ships make most of military score. It's possible to rack up a few thousands score just by building dreadnaughts.

Military score is based on a lot of things - number of generals, mobilization pool, capital ships and supply consumption, which is most vague.

Supply consumption depends on technology, type of troops, military policy of your ruling party and whether you're at war.

Pacifism decreases supply consumption A LOT and being at war raises it A LOT. So if you have more divisions but pacifist party in power, your score may be much lower than Denmark's which has jingoist party. Also, if Denmark is at war and mobilized it affects mil score a lot.

Later in the game, capital ships make most of military score. It's possible to rack up a few thousands score just by building dreadnaughts.

Ah, I see, so supply consumption plays a part. It appears I've been playing on very easy, instead of easy as was my intention while learning, giving me a -50% "bonus" on supply consumption taking it to 0% total. Changing to easy (-25% bonus) gives me 13 score from armies.

That brings me to another question; What exactly does this % on supply consumption do? Is it like maintenance cost in EU3? If it is I'm pretty sure I'm going to start losing a lot of money now.

It seems like a strange "bonus" for playing on easy if it hinders your world ranking.

Always keep them happy (military slider at 100% to prevent them from switching to rebels to a certain extent)
Never keep military slider at 100%. This will cause your soldiers to get luxury needs and promote to something else (mostly craftsmen or officers, depending on literacy). I would suggest 35%-65% (stable-unstable).

Ah, I see, so supply consumption plays a part. It appears I've been playing on very easy, instead of easy as was my intention while learning, giving me a -50% "bonus" on supply consumption taking it to 0% total. Changing to easy (-25% bonus) gives me 13 score from armies.

That brings me to another question; What exactly does this % on supply consumption do? Is it like maintenance cost in EU3? If it is I'm pretty sure I'm going to start losing a lot of money now.

It seems like a strange "bonus" for playing on easy if it hinders your world ranking.

It is maintenance cost. It does seem like a strange bonus earlier on but later in the game, you'll probably be in a situation where you pay thousand(s) daily for your army and navy (even more if you're at war), so 50% off will be a blessing.

Is there a Platinean union? I think there ought to be. Pan-nationalists should be involved in more than just Germany and the Balkans.
As of AHD 2.3, the unions are: Germany, Scandinavia, Great Britain, Italy, France, Yugoslavia, Romania, Poland-Lithuania, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Russia, United Baltic Duchies, Arabia, India, and USA. Gran Colombia can be formed, but is not a union; there is no Platinean union.

Never keep military slider at 100%. This will cause your soldiers to get luxury needs and promote to something else (mostly craftsmen or officers, depending on literacy). I would suggest 35%-65% (stable-unstable).

On the other hand , if you have over 70% military spending, you get a big boost to soldier recruitment. I'm not sure what the exact number is, but I want to say 25%? I'll confirm later tonight

It is maintenance cost. It does seem like a strange bonus earlier on but later in the game, you'll probably be in a situation where you pay thousand(s) daily for your army and navy (even more if you're at war), so 50% off will be a blessing.

Well, it ended up bankrupting me while at a war I couldn't get out of as I had way to many ships to support when the peace modifier was removed. Oh well, starting over on normal this time.

It's 15% for promotion from soldiers (and that's exactly what you not want), and almost nothing for promotion/demotion to soldiers.

Ok, if that's the case I don't think I understand the detailed pop screen. Here's a screenshot from my current game. The dialog box is where I've moused over the soldier icon. I understood this to mean that there's a net +10% 'encouragement' (for lack of a better term) for a farmer pop to promote/demote (I don't remember what's better, a soldier or a farmer) into a soldier pop. Is it actually the opposite? That is to say, there's a net 10% encouragement for a soldier to promote/demote into a farmer?

Y8CrnNb.png

Ok, if that's the case I don't think I understand the detailed pop screen. Here's a screenshot from my current game. The dialog box is where I've moused over the soldier icon. I understood this to mean that there's a net +10% 'encouragement' (for lack of a better term) for a farmer pop to promote/demote (I don't remember what's better, a soldier or a farmer) into a soldier pop. Is it actually the opposite? That is to say, there's a net 10% encouragement for a soldier to promote/demote into a farmer?

Y8CrnNb.png
The problem is on the soldier screen.
According to poptypes/soldiers.txt, soldiers get an quite hefty (15% for >70% MS, 10% for >50% and 5% for >30%) bonus to officer promotion.
And officers are guys you should try to avoid. Usually you get more leaders than you could use by ~1855 (and yes, producing leaders is the only use for officers in vanilla). The higher soldier pops aren't worth the money permanently invested in tons of useless officers, you'll never get rid of without decreasing soldier pops as well.

The problem is on the soldier screen.
According to poptypes/soldiers.txt, soldiers get an quite hefty (15% for >70% MS, 10% for >50% and 5% for >30%) bonus to officer promotion.
And officers are guys you should try to avoid. Usually you get more leaders than you could use by ~1855 (and yes, producing leaders is the only use for officers in vanilla). The higher soldier pops aren't worth the money permanently invested in tons of useless officers, you'll never get rid of without decreasing soldier pops as well.

Not being able to check the game files or the ingame tool tips right now, but isn't there a hefty negative if 0.20% of your state pops are officers, effectively closing promotion to them? I just would have thought it is like that, as other promotion routes seem to have similar mechanics in place and i have not suffered from officer bloat in my games so far, even with 100/90% military spending.

Of course on second reading it seems you are trying to avoid reaching the 0.20% officer population.

Not being able to check the game files or the ingame tool tips right now, but isn't there a hefty negative if 0.20% of your state pops are officers, effectively closing promotion to them?
Yep, there's a modifier for that. However, unless you're either roleplaying or play a mod like APD, you'll never need even close to 0.20% officers. Depending on your country the optimum is 0.005-0.05% (your money is better invested in other things, like forts, better supply or better unit types).