• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the difference between normal wars and great wars in the game, after that the second has at least 4 GPs?

War goals cost less infamy and you can't sign a white peace -- only Great War Capitulation which is Humiliate + Cut Down to Size.

I keep putting Argentina in my Sphere. But it keeps getting out of it. There are no other GPs able to kick it out of my Sphere - none of them are above Cordial, so they're not doing it. Every time I reload the game, it's not in my Sphere any more, and I have to start over with it. I plan on turning the game off from time to time, shutting down the computer when I'm not using it; so should I bother putting Argentina in my Sphere again, because it seems like a waste to have to keep wasting Diplomatic Influence on it only to keep seeing this after a short period of time.

I've tried to think of possible reasons why this is happening. Could there be a maximum of countries you can have in your Sphere, and when you reload the game, it kicks some out of it thinks you have too many? But the UK has around 30 countries in its Sphere, and I only have 7. So it can't be that...

I keep putting Argentina in my Sphere. But it keeps getting out of it. There are no other GPs able to kick it out of my Sphere - none of them are above Cordial, so they're not doing it. Every time I reload the game, it's not in my Sphere any more, and I have to start over with it. I plan on turning the game off from time to time, shutting down the computer when I'm not using it; so should I bother putting Argentina in my Sphere again, because it seems like a waste to have to keep wasting Diplomatic Influence on it only to keep seeing this after a short period of time.

I've tried to think of possible reasons why this is happening. Could there be a maximum of countries you can have in your Sphere, and when you reload the game, it kicks some out of it thinks you have too many? But the UK has around 30 countries in its Sphere, and I only have 7. So it can't be that...

Having the artisans re-assigned to random goods is reason enough for me never to reload a game.

Having the artisans re-assigned to random goods is reason enough for me never to reload a game.

Heh... there's positives and negatives of reloading. It seems to make the game run a little faster, at least for a while. Reloading fixed a problem with my armies losing Organization every month. But you also get issues with the Sphere, and it messes up your relations, and apparently the artisans.

EDIT: Now I see reloading only fixed the Organization problem for a couple of months. Now again they get up to full Organization and reset to 52/78.xx on the first of each month. What gives?

Last edited:

They probably keep having revolutions. Station an army in their capital if you want to make sure they stay sphered.

What should I do as Argentina to bring in more money? Just focus on literacy and improving tech rates for RGO efficiency until immigrants come? I've done Medicine and I'm working up to Biologism, I just can't afford to even keep a military with some minor tariffs and near 75% average tax rates, and my income depends entirely on revenues from artisans which swing pretty wildly.

You can also collect prestige to become a GP, and set yourself up to build the canals and colonise Africa. RGO efficiency is the way to get the spare resources for an army. There's nothing wrong with 100% let alone 75% tax rates when you haven't researched much tax efficiency yet.

I am of the impression that the only thing going for cavalry is their speed; to chase down the enemy, cut him off or surround him.
Occupation duty. With Cavalry, you get more recon for your buck. Anything aside of planes, hussars, cavalry and artillery is wasted manpower. The sole reason you need anything other than artillery is their poor recon (max 0.5). They've the best stats (aside from recon) for your buck, as well as the second best absolute stats (first: tanks), with better casualty distribution than mixed units (especially late game).

Played this game for the second time ever today and started with Netherlands. Five years in and I just got rebellions in just about every province on the same day; Jacobin, Javanese, Belgian, Wallonian and Flemmish nationalist, Dutch reactionaries, you name it. What gives? How can I see these things coming and prevent them?

I mean, Ive been in a war with and blockaded by UK since day one (a war I have no idea how to end, btw) so i understand people probably arent happy, and there are Belgian and Flemmish "movements", but what about all these other guys, where did they come from and what do they want?

Edit: I mobilized in an attempt to beat down the rebellions, and suddenly all the rebels disappeared. Even in the colonies where i didnt have soldiers. What happened?

You can also collect prestige to become a GP, and set yourself up to build the canals and colonise Africa. RGO efficiency is the way to get the spare resources for an army. There's nothing wrong with 100% let alone 75% tax rates when you haven't researched much tax efficiency yet.
My population has tripled in the past 20 years thanks to masses of immigrants and I'm working on it. My plan for this game is to take my cores, liberalize, go full laissez-faire and get every political and social reform and just become an industrial power that way. South America is really handicapped by their awful set of RGOs though.

If I form Germany and then later get Austria into my sphere can I form Greater Germany? Or do I have to get austria in my sphere beforehand?

If you formed Germany first I think that you need now to release Hungary and now sphered Austria. After some period of time they may join your Germany. And it's much better to first include them into your sphere and then form Germany.

Now mine question.
How can I reduce the literacy of my population? Because if I pay no money for education and I have massive income of new pops which are born in country without education the speed it decrases should be much more than 0.000001% per month. Does I need to get rid of all clerygmens?

If you formed Germany first I think that you need now to release Hungary and now sphered Austria. After some period of time they may join your Germany. And it's much better to first include them into your sphere and then form Germany.

Now mine question.
How can I reduce the literacy of my population? Because if I pay no money for education and I have massive income of new pops which are born in country without education the speed it decrases should be much more than 0.000001% per month. Does I need to get rid of all clerygmens?

In APD the literacy goes under water at < 0.5%, not sure on vanilla.

Is there any way to get the USA to take their cores from Mexico? I get really sick of making it into the 1920s to see Mexico with 1/3 of America because there was never any contest from USA against them.
Did they ever try?
Sometimes the Mexicans have luck (mostly having someone like UK intervene) and prevail, leading to an too weak USA.

I very often see the US sit on 100 influence points forever, and then eventually sphere them, leaving Mexico with huge chunks of US territory.

The danger of letting a war target sit at "friendly/100" is an event can push that nation into your sphere against all intentions.